3D Printing What Are You Printing Today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Printed some carriers for my Flight Sketch Mini altimeters sized to fit into a BT20 sized airframe. They are the same OD as a BT20 coupler so they are a sliding fit. Material is Overture Natural/Transparent PETG. Design software is SolidWorks 2014 x64. Total weight RTF is 9.2 or 9.3 grams (one is slightly heavier than the other). My next project is to make carriers for the BT20 carrier so it adapts to other larger airframes, these are great little alts and I really like them, carriers are 1.5" long x .708" diameter. The battery is removeable while in the carrier and the power button can be accessed on the end opposite the lanyard. The cutout beside the bluetooth unit is for visibility of the LED. Still a bit of iterating to do yet but these are functional and should provide a fair amount of protection to the unit. The end opposite the lanyard can also have a streamer attached just in case the unit becomes detached from the rocket so its easier to find in the grass.

View attachment 427127View attachment 427128View attachment 427129View attachment 427130View attachment 427131View attachment 427132View attachment 427133
Yes, please post the STL somewhere & let us know.

Printing the bracket for my BLTouch for my E3Pro. Will PLA be fine, or do I need to use PETG?

I printed mine out of PC. You can use PLA and PETG. PLA was affected by the heat of the bed and PETG became weak over time (cracked). I have polycabonate parts for 3 months. I would print an extra no matter what material you use.

I printed mine out of PC. You can use PLA and PETG. PLA was affected by the heat of the bed and PETG became weak over time (cracked). I have polycabonate parts for 3 months. I would print an extra no matter what material you use.
Printing several at one time, as it was just as easy to import the different designs into one slice and print session. [grin]

I have several camera mounts printed out of ABS and PETG. They all break. PC rarely breaks. I love this stuff. The problem is you almost have to get your nozzle to 275 C and 110 on the bed to get it to stick.

That's a good idea. I don't have a printer 😕 I've been thinking about how to fly the thing without just dangling it from the nosecone

Still prototyping my BT50 Coupler Quark Altimeter Bay with 180mah 2s Lipo and Missleworks screw switch. May end up ditching the screw switch and just going twist and tape, currently printing the Mk2.5 version. Mk 1 is PLA, Mk1.5 and Mk 2 are PETG both are printed so layers are aligned with the centerline of the cylinder, and it appears to be very strong as I can grab both ends and pull hard without breaking it (not sure I could pull much harder anyways) the PETG is layer bonding really well. The only real differnces between the later version is how the switch is mounted Mk 1.5 uses screws, Mk2 attempts to use a clip in method and Mk 2.5 is to be a further refinement of the clip in method. Still hope to use the switch however this altimeter bay will pretty much be dedicated to the format its in as the only real removeable part will be the battery.

20200830_150923[1].jpg

Designed and printed a camera shroud/mount for my Mobius Mini. Printed it in ABS. This is going to my 7.5” Mega Magg. I plan on permanently attaching it. I put in a couple of screw holes to help. But I’ll probably glue it down once I figure out the best adhesive.
0A871D17-0874-4988-BA3F-20130A3F9B62.jpeg
07E181F5-FF5D-425A-8AA5-453E9CD047A3.jpeg
I used TinkerCad. It’s limited but you can still do quite a bit with it. I need to force myself to sit down and learn Fusion360.

Pretty sure I have my final design iteration for my 24mm Dual Deployment Eggtimer Quark Altimeter Bay. Total design time has been probably 20-25 hours and print time so far has been approximately 24-25 hours or so.

Mk 3 iteration sled and Mk1 end cap and Mk1 recovery anchors, the screw posts will act as electrical paths for the ejection igniters. The Missleworks screw switch will get modified to shorten the length (cut off the end solder pads since the mounting screws can also be used as wiring points.
Rich BT50C QuarkAltimeterBay 180mah2sLiPo 7.jpg

Rich BT50C QuarkAltimeterBay 180mah2sLiPo 8.jpg
Mk 2 recovery anchor with integrated charge well, its a tiny charge well, but its also a tiny rocket airframe, .2grams or so of BP (will ground test once rocket built and enlarge if necessary). There is a Mk3 bulkplate that integrates the charge well, recovery anchor, and bulkplate into a single homogeneous unit, which should save some weigh as it will remove about four 4-40 nuts at .2 grams each.
Rich BT50C QuarkAltimeterBay 180mah2sLiPo 9.jpg

Fully assemble but not yet wired bay, total o.a.l. 5.5" and total weight of 58.3 grams or slightly over 2oz.
Rich BT50C QuarkAltimeterBay 180mah2sLiPo11.jpg
View showing recovery anchor for Emma Kites 500lb kevlar, or I could if desired use a permanently crimped 1/16" aircraft cable, but then lose the lightweight factor.
Rich BT50C QuarkAltimeterBay 180mah2sLiPo12.jpg

Attachments

• Rich BT50C QuarkAltimeterBay 180mah2sLiPo10.jpg
    Rich BT50C QuarkAltimeterBay 180mah2sLiPo10.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 18
Just finished a static load test of the BT50 sized Quark Altimeter Bay, 57 pounds straightline pull with no obvious signs of deformation post test. The new Mk3 integrated bulkplate with charge well and anchor point along with reducing the length of the screws and fewer nuts used in the assembly process, brought the weight down by almost 5 grams to 54.3 grams so just under 2oz. The rocket this is designed for should be RTF between 12 and 16 ozs so the recovery anchors are good to 50G in that application.

Rich BT50C QuarkAltimeterBay 180mah2sLiPo13.jpg

Designed and printed some adapters for each size launch rods I use.
Now I only need to take my rail launcher along and can now use it for flying round launch lug type rockets. The adapters can be easily swapped on the rail launcher.
Launch_Rod_Adapters.jpg

... and while I was at it I made a transport bracket to hold the 3 rods in place at the top of the rail. Makes it much easier for transport without having the rods boggling around. Nice side effect is that I can actually fly my rail rockets without having to remove the round rods :)Launch_Rod_Bracket.jpg

Designed and printed some adapters for each size launch rods I use.
Now I only need to take my rail launcher along and can now use it for flying round launch lug type rockets. The adapters can be easily swapped on the rail launcher.
View attachment 430458

I love this. Would you mind sharing the STL or posting it to Thingiverse?

I printed a simple tool today.

centerline_3inch.jpg

centerline.jpg

Insert the pegs in the fin slots, rotate until it is tight, and mark the center point. This one is sized for a 3 inch/3 fin tube but I have printed them in the past for other tube sizes.

That's brilliant - what filament did you make it out of?

This one was printed in PLA. It is only 0.8mm thick so any filament will do. I usually print in PETG but the PLA was already in the printer. They take about 3 minutes to print. I probably spent more time trying to find my piece of aluminum angle to mark the lines than it took to design, print, and use the marking guide.

I perfecting my ejection charge design. I want to make them all mount to a screw and have the wires come out the bottom at a 45-degree angle.

I perfecting my ejection charge design. I want to make them all mount to a screw and have the wires come out the bottom at a 45-degree angle.

Have you tried making charge canisters that screw through the AV-Bay lid, the e-matches can either be inserted from the top or, with a small hole through the bottom of the charge canister and a foam seal disk, fed directly into the AV-Bay.
IMG-0274.jpgIMG-0989.jpg

I have but would prefer to have a more sold bulkhead.

Bolt-two brass washers

Bolt/two brass washers to mount wire/insulating sleeve/nylon washer/nut/two brass washers for ematch wires/thumbscrew.

Drill hole in bulkhead, attach alt wires on the bottom, ematch wires on top, finger tighten. Made for my ejection charges I posted yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_3886.HEIC
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
Back