3D Printing What Are You Printing Today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any chance you might upload those to thingverse? I would like to print one for a rocket I am building.
I'm working on adding a bit more to my OpenSCAD file so I can put it in Customizer with options for MMT size and screw holes instead of using Command Strips. I'll post again when I get it done in a couple of days.

Printed off some test pieces for my next model rocket project, loosely based on the Long March 2C

Attachments

• DSC_7324.JPG
    DSC_7324.JPG
    159.1 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC_7327.JPG
    DSC_7327.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 93
  • LMC1_20190907.PNG
    LMC1_20190907.PNG
    465.9 KB · Views: 87
I printed a sidewinder missile on my Ender-5 from files that I found in Thingiverse. I still need to dial in the sim, but hopefully it will fly next weekend in an E30. It’s just basic Hatchbox PLA, so we’ll see how it holds up. I’m just excited because it’s my first 3D printed rocket.
IMG_3154.jpg

Made a replacement nosecone for my Mina A Heli
bewnoseforminaheli-png.392837

bewnoseforminaheli_installed-png.392836

Printed in CF-PETG (because that is what I had loaded and I am lazy) it is heavy enough that the rocket came down inverted. It'd be a easy to fix this, if somebody wants to do the math, but I am done with it.

Attachments

• MINAHELIREPAIR_3.stl
    733.7 KB · Views: 27
Made a replacement nosecone for my Mina A Heli
bewnoseforminaheli-png.392837

bewnoseforminaheli_installed-png.392836

Printed in CF-PETG (because that is what I had loaded and I am lazy) it is heavy enough that the rocket came down inverted. It'd be a easy to fix this, if somebody wants to do the math, but I am done with it.

I've got an entire printed nc/hinge assy for the mini A heli, well, fin assy too. Bought a kit and knew I'd never get all those cardboard pieces aligned well. Was easy, looks good, but never had a chance to fly it at N60. Must get it written up.

How do you like the 5?

No complaints for the Ender 5. I’m a noob, and I’m just printing with basic PLA thus far, and I haven’t made any mods to the printer yetI. But it seems to be working great in its stock configuration. I really like the magnetic bed. It’s often maligned in online groups, but I think it works well.

The same is true for the Anycubic Photon. Between the two, I’ve probably printed a dozen things thus far. Maybe I’m just lucky, but no issues. (I hope I didn’t just jinx that.)

I'm attempting to print an Omni-Pad head. In a Da-Glo orange that I have mixed feelings about. It looks like a 13 hour print. I want to see if it can be done....

And you say, what's that got to do with rockets???

Take balsa block, drill holes in both ends, 1/2" on one 5/16" on the other. glue in hardwood dowels sticking out 1.5" the small dowel goes into the bearing block, the large one in the drill press. Clamp bearing block with drill press vise. Now you got a live center vertical lathe! I use a belt sander to grind down the schnozz cone. Will post more photos later, I don't have the tube the cone is for yet.

That bearing is a standard 608zz bearing. same size as skateboard bearings, but cheaper and not sealed, but at less than $8 for two dozen...

bearing block.jpg

Update: the Omni-Pad head printed out fine. It only took 13 hours and 33 minutes. I had the files around for five years. I finally got a printer that's up to the task and got up the nerve.

omnihead.jpg

Now I'm doing test printings of some Fun Rockets pad designs that Fishman requested, but got lost in that limbo.

Those look cool. Are the files available?
They will be. The 13mm version is on thingiverse, but ive made some updates to the motor mount I need to test out. And I haven't flown the 18mm ones yet, but the files printed awesome.

Just modeled the nose cone and tail cone sections in Fusion360 for a 5 ft long "Marvin the Martian" rocket. Will print them on my Ultimaker 2+ Extended when I get back from vacation (am in Sardinia this week). Here is the 3D from Rocksim:
upload_2019-9-24_16-19-21.png
Was inspired by the model flown at LRDS recently. This one is only 143cm (+-5 ft) long, and will fly on 54mm motors. The nose is a birchwood ball, followed by a 3D printed nose, and ended by a 3D printed tailcone. In between I will turn disks of hard foam insulation, and give it a skin of fiberglass. Fins will be 6mm birch plywood.

upload_2019-9-24_16-27-41.png
This will be the tail cone. The core of the rocket is a 98mm phenolic airframe, with through the wall fins to a 54mm motor tube. This got kind of thin at the waist, so I split it into two sections to print. Will probably use PET filament, though I've been itching to try out a couple of rolls of LW PLA, a sort that foams up when passing through the heated extruder, making light weight parts.

Will post a picture of it when it comes off the printer.

3.72” Nose mold.

Attachments

• A1B5900B-9B6A-4076-844A-80FCE4679CDD.jpeg
    A1B5900B-9B6A-4076-844A-80FCE4679CDD.jpeg
    71 KB · Views: 56
  • 1029E543-6E5B-4B7C-B826-10522B5EA5F3.jpeg
    1029E543-6E5B-4B7C-B826-10522B5EA5F3.jpeg
    137.6 KB · Views: 56
Just modeled the nose cone and tail cone sections in Fusion360 for a 5 ft long "Marvin the Martian" rocket. Will print them on my Ultimaker 2+ Extended when I get back from vacation (am in Sardinia this week). Here is the 3D from Rocksim:
View attachment 394130
Was inspired by the model flown at LRDS recently. This one is only 143cm (+-5 ft) long, and will fly on 54mm motors. The nose is a birchwood ball, followed by a 3D printed nose, and ended by a 3D printed tailcone. In between I will turn disks of hard foam insulation, and give it a skin of fiberglass. Fins will be 6mm birch plywood.

View attachment 394134
This will be the tail cone. The core of the rocket is a 98mm phenolic airframe, with through the wall fins to a 54mm motor tube. This got kind of thin at the waist, so I split it into two sections to print. Will probably use PET filament, though I've been itching to try out a couple of rolls of LW PLA, a sort that foams up when passing through the heated extruder, making light weight parts.

Will post a picture of it when it comes off the printer.
Neat! Hopefully your stability and speed off the rail are a little better than theirs! I havent heard of this foaming pla, sounds interesting!

This is a test print for a 4” bulkhead. I plan to test several different resins to see if photolithographic printing can make materials strong enough for HPR.
IMG_3166.jpg

This is a test print for a 4” bulkhead. I plan to test several different resins to see if photolithographic printing can make materials strong enough for HPR.

Something like this 4" bulkhead?
BulkheadCAD1resize.png
BulkheadCAD2.png
BulkheadAssembled2resize.JPG
BulkheadAssembled1resize.JPG

BulkheadInAirframe.JPG

That is for the back end of my Vertical Trajectory System. The bulkhead works a treat. Just watch out for any changes in dimensions, depending on the type of resin used.

That looks really interesting! I am considering printing my own bulkheads but in a 6" rocket not sure it is a good idea. What is the strongest filament in a finished product? I obviously am just starting my research.

I love it! My CAD-fu is nowhere close, but I’ll get there over time. That’s what makes this hobby awesome.

I received two more resins yesterday, so another bulkhead is printing right now. I’ll post the data from this little project here.

Back