3D Printing What Are You Printing Today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Working on an altimeter sled. Inspired by the thread at https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/av-sled-first-printing-project-feedback-appreciated.151171/

I wanted something on 2” centers for the allthread rods, so it will work for both my 3” and 4” rockets. It needs to carry an RRC3 and a Stratlogger CF, along with two 9v battery clips.

I already have a flat sled setup that does all that, but what’s the fun in that? LOL

Took a basic sled design from thingiverse at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1988436 then added an offset vertical surface to allow my pull-pin switch to be at 90 degrees to the airframe. Also added some cutouts for wiring and a little fillet in the corners. Once I get the overall shape nailed, I’ll add standoffs and zip tie holes.

Didn’t check the tunnel diameter first (facepalm) as it must have been designed for 3/16 rods. Have to fix that and adjust the dimensions a bit, but I think it’s a pretty good first cut.

IMG_1618.jpg

CAD design for 4-inch 2x38MM Upscale Deuces wild

Here is something that I have been working up and hope to start printing soon.

4in Blue tube body
Fiberglass 38 mm motor mount tubes
U-Bolt for extra safety motor block
Holes for threaded rods as alignment jig and support while gluing
Laser cut fins, 3 mm ply, laminated with fiberglass cloth, mounted by fin flanges
Fin flanges mount through the wall into fin struts
Fin struts with stop block
PETG bulkheads

A 3-grain 38mm CTI generates about 40 lbs ave thrust each. The motor forces will foremost push on the U-bolt. Force from there will go to the top bulk head and then to the fin struts and body tube. I'll have to fiberglass laminate the MM tubes to the triangle piece, to prevent them from torquing out.

Enjoy! And I hope that it inspires some good ideas.

I'll post some pics at some point of a 2x29mm 4grain version of rocket this of very similar design.

thumbnail_udw4in_38_3G_01.jpg thumbnail_udw4in_38_3G_12.jpg thumbnail_udw4in_38_3G_11.jpg thumbnail_udw4in_38_3G_10.jpg thumbnail_udw4in_38_3G_09.jpg thumbnail_udw4in_38_3G_08.jpg thumbnail_udw4in_38_3G_07.jpg thumbnail_udw4in_38_3G_06.jpg thumbnail_udw4in_38_3G_05.jpg thumbnail_udw4in_38_3G_04.jpg thumbnail_udw4in_38_3G_01.jpg thumbnail_udw4in_38_3G_12.jpg thumbnail_udw4in_38_3G_11.jpg thumbnail_udw4in_38_3G_10.jpg thumbnail_udw4in_38_3G_09.jpg thumbnail_udw4in_38_3G_08.jpg thumbnail_udw4in_38_3G_05.jpg thumbnail_udw4in_38_3G_04.jpg

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/f6c96376d9744f0283e2fc58/w/0b5e3da7433199f72e064ac3/e/c28d59773681cbd979d24307 (need an onshape account to view it)

Making a truss rocket, the 'fins' will have programable LED panels on them for night launching at NSL at Lucerne.

All of the joints are 3d printed PETG. I'm still making the supports (the short sections inside the triangles) The tripod will be riveted to the short body tube with the motor mount. Everything else is screw together for transport (too big to fit in the car). The 'studs' are clecos, temporary fasteners used for matched drilling of the tubes and fins.corner.jpg full.jpg IMG_20190324_151104676.jpg IMG_20190324_151120486.jpg IMG_20190324_151125434.jpg IMG_20190324_151139093_HDR.jpg tripod.jpg

This is a great application for a 3D printer with all of the angled joints. Pretty cool.

Finally finished the 2x mars lander. Had to make extensive changes to the original. I'll be post everything up to thingiverse over the weekend. You need a big printer to print this though. I also 'wimped' out and used a traditional motor mount, with center rings made out of wood - A little worried what the temperature of a 54mm motor would do to the model :> base diameter is roughly 7.5"

Next to it on the left is a 1x 3d printed version.

2x mars lander.jpg

Got some fin spacers for the Nike Apache done on the 1200es (ABS) and Creality CR10S (PLA).

The left three are ABS, with the left two having some finishing work partly done (CA glue and sanding), and the blue straight out of the printer. The two white PLA parts are straight out of the printer and I have yet to remove the support material. The ABS printer uses a dissolvable support filament which is removed in a hot bath of something alkaline.

When finished they will be painted aluminium color.

FinSpacers.jpg

They each old an R3 camera. I will run with three ABS and one PLA spacer. It will be interesting to see how the PLA deals with M2.3 during the flight.

1:37 Saturn v part:

Should fit loc 4 in tubing:

036A0E3E-70F2-4634-8B67-F6CEE76BDEE8.jpeg
036A0E3E-70F2-4634-8B67-F6CEE76BDEE8.jpeg

Attachments

• F44836E0-460E-4D66-BA51-1B6AA8A57D3C.jpeg
    F44836E0-460E-4D66-BA51-1B6AA8A57D3C.jpeg
    229.5 KB · Views: 56
Printed a switch mount in ABS for my 4” Wildman Skunk av bay and a couple battery holders for the 180 mAh 2s lipos.
thumbnail_Image-29.png thumbnail_Image-31.png

Last edited:
Lots of 3D-printed parts for my Ariane 6 model. I just updated the page with info on the boosters and the nose:
jcrocket.com/ariane6.shtml

booster-aft-ends.jpg

Printed a specialized fin alignment jig for an experimental rocket. This is the middle section that connects to the upper and lower sections using 1/4-20 threaded rod. The tolerances on these jigs are tight. IMG_20190407_091621.jpegIMG_20190406_191544__01.jpeg

Been testing my new SLA printer over the past few days with both rocket related prints and non-rocket. Items printed at 0.1mm layer height with very minimal layer lines because of the way the laser cures the liquid resin.
IMG_1302.jpg

Upcoming adventures: Flying a 4k sport camera in a high powered rocket was fun. Now to fly a mid powered rocket near populated areas will capture more interesting landmarks. Oops! The the mysterious Project X leaked. It's going to be epic!
#ModelRocket
https://bit.ly/whatsnextshotokutech

Decided to try the Mars Lander from thingiverse. 16 hour print on this part. The old lady is keeping up with it while I'm at work. Just got this update.image000000_02.jpeg

I printed a transition for a 1:37 scale Saturn V. I have the big transition to print next and it will have to be printed on my Creality.

I was looking to design and print a spacey chassis for the eggfinder. The filament that I used is Tttyt3D PLA, which is super glossy. Despite the metallic appearance (looks better in person IMO), there is no metal in the material. The gold is very shiny (imagine C3PO shiny), but is not apparent in the photo below. The LED indicators are GPS lock on the handheld (left) and radio reception lock from the transmitter (right). The lower gold "knob" on the handle is attached with two screws that are inset at the bottom and provides access to the lipo. I am happy with the way it turned out, but it took multiple attempts (weekends) to get it right.

20190426_155341.jpg

over the holiday weekend, I printed a trio of "my take" on the hard-to-find Interceptor type nose cone. this pair for BT-60. Printed in ABS on Zortrax M200. 20 minute acetone vapor bath. Tip as printed was a little gnarly so I sanded it. after vapor bath, surface was not to my liking so I did a brush on of acetone to get the shiny finish on the black one. designed in Alibre. fullsizeoutput_93c.jpeg

The latest version of my screw together all 3D rocket dubbed "ThunderPass II." This version printed in FormLabs engineering "Tough" resin with 0.75mm walls. Also changed design to included BT20 cardboard motor tube. I've found in previous PLA versions, the motor tube is sufficient to reduce the heat related problems around the threaded boat tail. The nose cone/payload bay shoulder is a separate part that threads into payload to hold Firefly altimeter in place.

Finished yesterday. I had hoped to fly today to see if 0.75mm walls were strong enough to withstand flight events. Rain past 48 hours made our farm field unusable today :-(

IMG_1321.jpg

The latest version of my screw together all 3D rocket dubbed "ThunderPass II." This version printed in FormLabs engineering "Tough" resin with 0.75mm walls. Also changed design to included BT20 cardboard motor tube. I've found in previous PLA versions, the motor tube is sufficient to reduce the heat related problems around the threaded boat tail. The nose cone/payload bay shoulder is a separate part that threads into payload to hold Firefly altimeter in place.

Finished yesterday. I had hoped to fly today to see if 0.75mm walls were strong enough to withstand flight events. Rain past 48 hours made our farm field unusable today :-(

View attachment 381137
Well done!

Back