3D Printing What Are You Printing Today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I printed these yesterday and fished them out of the dissolution bath (removes support) today. Greenback for scale.

spacers.jpg

They are some fin spacers for my Apache. They will each have an R3 HD camera. Once I finish and check fit on these I'll print another pair.

FYI, material is ABS.

I printed these yesterday and fished them out of the dissolution bath (removes support) today. Greenback for scale.

View attachment 377897

They are some fin spacers for my Apache. They will each have an R3 HD camera. Once I finish and check fit on these I'll print another pair.

FYI, material is ABS.

Your fin spacers look great!

I'd be interested in hearing more about the R3 cameras that you mentioned. How did you decide on these over something like the Mobius Mini? Have you had good results in the past with the R3 camera? Any rocket videos taken with an R3 that we might be able to see?

Thanks!

I'd be interested in hearing more about the R3 cameras that you mentioned.
Chose the R3 because of size and the ability to move the camera module (hack). Video quality is quite reasonable. Had a couple shut down on the pad due to thermal issues (in the sun) so I am starting to manage that better. Nothing loaded to the web for viewing yet. Build thread here with more detail: https://forum.ausrocketry.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=6230

Min diameter launch pad (7 day print started) for our record breaking attempt in a month.

So what do you do with a spool of filament you don't like? Garbage? Local School?

I'm giving up on this Amazonbasics white PLA. The longer I have it, the worse it behaves. And it's only been a couple weeks. I swapped in some Hatchbox white PETG, and poof, I get 1st layer adhesion back, and brims actually bond line-line instead of popping off in a long coil.

So what do you do with a spool of filament you don't like? Garbage? Local School?

I'm giving up on this Amazonbasics white PLA. The longer I have it, the worse it behaves. And it's only been a couple weeks. I swapped in some Hatchbox white PETG, and poof, I get 1st layer adhesion back, and brims actually bond line-line instead of popping off in a long coil.

Have you dried it out?

I see your birds nest, and I raise you one yard nugget...
kqd84ktl.jpg

we learnt the hard way that PLA is hydroscopic. we left our roll on the printer, and then started to get rally bad prints & broken filaments.

We now load & unload our filament for each print. (Assuming we have more than a day between prints)

A zip-lock bag, desiccant packets, and squeeze out the air..

Printed a case for my action cam. Wanted to be able to swap 20190325_073041.jpg 20190325_073103.jpg 20190325_073339.jpg it out onto the one of the four 54mm tubes I'm using. Turned out looking phallic LOL but should be functional. applied a thin coat of silicon on the face that will be against the tube, let it dry, now I have a nice anti-skid surface, man does it ever stick well. Of course I will be using either electrical tape or painters tape to secure it. Anxious to see how will it will work.

Attachments

• 20190325_073109.jpg
    20190325_073109.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 49
and yes .... I have a theme for my next two rockets .... Spy vs Spy. Fin cans, rail guides and the nose cones are 3D printed. Paint is next.
20190325_073217.jpg

Printed a case for my action cam. Wanted to be able to swap it out onto the one of the four 54mm tubes I'm using. Turned out looking phallic LOL but should be functional. applied a thin coat of silicon on the face that will be against the tube, let it dry, now I have a nice anti-skid surface, man does it ever stick well. Of course I will be using either electrical tape or painters tape to secure it. Anxious to see how will it will work.

Nifty. Which cam?

I tried it. I made one with a ziplock sealed box. It keeps it dry but will no dehydrate. You will still need a dehydrator.
I think we understand that it won't dehydrate filament that has already absorbed moisture, but it seems to me the best solution is to prevent that in the first place. So a filament container with a desiccant pack seems to be a pretty decent way to avoid issues. I use a large ammo dry box with desiccant packs for storage but being able to feed from the storage box itself is a pretty handy feature.

Tony

Back