3D Printing What Are You Printing Today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I published the 2nd rocket in my Extreme Builder's Kit series, the Nike Smoke. It hit 1300 ft on an F44 motor, yesterday. Feel free to check it out and let me know if you have questions/problems.

Oh, and the fins were inspired by Chuck. If I hadn't seen them, I probably wouldn't have attempted this model. I am really glad I did. Thanks, @cwbullet.
NikeSmoke.JPG
https://www.printables.com/model/901779-nike-smoke-extreme

I published the 2nd rocket in my Extreme Builder's Kit series, the Nike Smoke. It hit 1300 ft on an F44 motor, yesterday. Feel free to check it out and let me know if you have questions/problems.

Oh, and the fins were inspired by Chuck. If I hadn't seen them, I probably wouldn't have attempted this model. I am really glad I did. Thanks, @cwbullet.
View attachment 648769
https://www.printables.com/model/901779-nike-smoke-extreme
Heads up! The original nosecone was an early version and breaks easily at the shoulder. I have updated the model with a new one. It should sit at just 240mm to keep it in the Ender3 realm.

Sorry for the nosecone issue.

Mr @frogglicker, Sir, how do you suggest to print a fin? The stl opens like this

View attachment 649112

Laying the fin down would ruin the bevel. Just add a brim and print away? I like the idea of having multi-colored fins. :cool:
I used some supports between the fin tab and it printed just fine. I was concerned that the layer lines would weaken it, but it has done just fine.

I printed mine in PETG with a 0.4 nozzle at 0.2 layer height.

1717642235219.png

Today, I'm not printing anything. My 3-month-old Comgrow T300 piece of 💩 face-planted in the middle of a print. Error message says, 'mcu not found.' No changes, nothing weird going on, just normal prints. I SSH'd into the printer, and the /device/serial folder is missing. I think the magic smoke is gone.

I'll spend the evening tearing it apart looking for out-of-place things, then pull the Ender3 out of mothballs and fire it up again until the slow boat from China arrives with a solution. The real kicker is that I was about 25% through one of the best-looking prints I've seen on this printer. ::grumbles::

My wife does the lettering with her Cricut machine

My wife has contributed to some of my rocketry projects using her Cricut for cutting adhesive vinyl as well. Some of her work includes, below at left, the various Lander variations, the Cherokee E, and the Bomarc, and at right, the Super Big Bertha, Miss Riley, and Vapor. I provide PNG files, lettering dimensions, etc. She enjoys the work and that's quite beneficial. I 3D-printed various parts for the Landers as well as the nose cone by @Jack Hydrazine for the Bomarc.

Cricut_lettering.png

Last edited:
This is from @frogglicker Extreme Rocket Series. Thanks man!

Went w 0% infill, 3 perimeters, 0.2 mm layers, PETG that supposedly turns luminescent green (NOT!)

View attachment 649229

It has ribs in the fins!

View attachment 649230

On to separate white parts next...

I worked on a printed body tube for the Nike Smoke while I was waiting for my print to finish, before printer took a dirt nap. I have not printed this, so I don't know how it will turn out but its the same length as the OR design that I built the first one with. I added it to the printables model, but you guys can have here for FREE!!! If anyone prints this, I sized it specifically for the Nike Smoke nose cone and fin can shoulders. It's really thin so it might need to be lined with cardboard or epoxy laminate towards the bottom. I would print with supports on the bottom shoulder.

Let me know how it turns out. Thanks.

Attachments

• Body Tube.stl
    71.4 KB · Views: 0
I worked on a printed body tube for the Nike Smoke while I was waiting for my print to finish, before printer took a dirt nap. I have not printed this, so I don't know how it will turn out but its the same length as the OR design that I built the first one with. I added it to the printables model, but you guys can have here for FREE!!! If anyone prints this, I sized it specifically for the Nike Smoke nose cone and fin can shoulders. It's really thin so it might need to be lined with cardboard or epoxy laminate towards the bottom. I would print with supports on the bottom shoulder.

Let me know how it turns out. Thanks.

I just started printing one this evening. I had to cut it to fit on my A1 Mini. I was planning on cutting a Star Orbiter down. I printed the whole fin can and the one with separate fins, so I might as well print a 2nd nose cone and have 2 similar rockets.

Hybrid GSE boxes

I use the off the shelf Cantrex PVC electrical boxes, and print replacement bezels with all of the holes and cutouts in them. Saves a lot of time vs cutting them on the mill. In addition to the bezels, i print board mounts and battery mounts. The LCO side has an internal battery, the pad side has an external battery, bigger since it drives the hybrid solenoids.

1717731237693.png1717731630490.png 1717732239123.png1717731789493.png1717732208561.png

BT-50 and BT-60 removable baffles. You glue a threaded ring into the body tube, and the baffle screws into it so it can be removed and replaced if need be. I'll post the design to Printables after I've done some test launches with it.

Finally got my Ender 3 out of mothballs and running again. Its soooo sloooow but the quality is still pretty good. So, I needed to print another Nike Smoke fincan b/c the one that flew last week lost a fight with gravity. 3 flights with a total of 2700 feet. Not a scratch. Dog swished it with his tail and a fin broke. I'm not too broke up about it. The Nike Smoke is a performer and easy to make.

No word on a fix for the T300 yet. Sovol is working the problem. I ordered the EMMC reader with the anticipation that they will send me the image to flash. If not, I might be able to get the stock image from another source. Also, I'm thinking of just pulling the trigger on the T300 Parts Kit I found on AliExpress for $85 bones and be done with it.

1718151069186.png

54 mm Crayon

Simple 3d printed nose and fincan for a 54 mm crayon rocket, OAL26inches. Used stock 54mm fiberglass tube for the body, 38mm for the motor mount.

Molded in place slot for shock cord bonding. indexing features, adhesive grooves.
ccray  det.jpgIMG20240616082733.pngIMG20240616082639.pngcray can det.jpgIMG20240616082651.png

Attachments

• cray parts.jpg
    cray parts.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 0
Don't have a build thread, and this wasn't printed today, but it was printed and did get to fly it yesterday! It went up on a E30-7 and was set for 200' deployment with the JollyLogic Chute Release on a 30" parachute.

View attachment 611496

Well had a build session with my niece and nephew and family yesterday and we built 4 of them... unfortunately I didn't get a pic of the yellow one too.

PXL_20240616_220658505.jpg

Nothing printing...but I am receiving parts of the bundle I ordered for my Elegoo Saturn 4 Ultra...last Friday it was bottle of resin, today the Cure and Wash Stations, and the end of next week supposedly the 3D printer itself. Looking forward to having an additional 3D printer with different capabilities.

While I wait for Sovol to ship me a new main board for my T300 printer, I have been fiddling around with 38mm to 29mm motor adaptors, since my current one is a little beat up.

I made one 120mm long for G74/G80 motors. It fits S/U motors well. So well, that I had to pull the label off to get the motor in. The longer one is 180mm for H motors. The shorter one I don't see using much. It was a prototype that just happened to turn out. The longer one is bored out to accept a 29mm MMT sleeve. I'll try this out next month with my Mega Red Max and then post them on Printables, but if you want it early and untested, I'll post them here for you.

1718692349562.png

Bought a BambuLabs P1S. First test print is a 29mm motor retainer in ABS. Printing ABS perfectly straight out of the box...... Wow. How far printing has come.
View attachment 651631
Agreed. I've had mine since March, been through more spools of filament since then than in 3 years of owning an Ender 3.....and the only 'fails' that I've had have been because I picked the wrong things on the slicer. GREAT machines!

Back