What are you listening to?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I know you are a massive Pat Metheny fan, as are a few others on TRF.
I'm pretty sure you've never posted any of "Zero Tolerance for Silence" (unless I'm wrong about that).
Was wondering what are your thoughts about this work?

s6

I know you are a massive Pat Metheny fan, as are a few others on TRF.
I'm pretty sure you've never posted any of "Zero Tolerance for Silence" (unless I'm wrong about that).
Was wondering what are your thoughts about this work?

s6

well I've never been able to believe that it was actually Pat that would compose that or play it unless he was having a really bad LSD trip. I'm strictly Melody driven so all of his marvelous beautiful melodies like "always and forever" is what keeps me a huge Pat Metheny fan. so his Avant Garde/ way out there in left field recordings, I don't own, and cannot tolerate.

well I've never been able to believe that it was actually Pat that would compose that or play it unless he was having a really bad LSD trip. I'm strictly Melody driven so all of his marvelous beautiful melodies like "always and forever" is what keeps me a huge Pat Metheny fan. so his Avant Garde/ way out there in left field recordings, I don't own, and cannot tolerate.
That's pretty much what I expected.

Interestingly for me (who happens to be a huge fan of the "American Garage"-"Offramp" era Metheny Group), I also really don't like (or get) "Zero Tolerance...". BUT! I actually DO love a lot of very noisy, atonal/microtonal, drone, "difficult", non-melodic music. One of the best shows (by far) I've ever experienced was Glenn Branca's guitar orchestra, I love stuff like Einstruzende Neubauten, Neurosis, Sonic Youth, etc. I've been to a lot of "challenging" classical performances where half the audience got up and left, while I was simply loving it.

But Pat missed with that one. Even for me, it's basically "just noise".

s6

I've been to a lot of "challenging" classical performances where half the audience got up and left, while I was simply loving it.

But Pat missed with that one. Even for me, it's basically "just noise".
I live about 5 mi from small University but they have a very active music department and I keep going there and I keep being disappointed, as a lot of these recitals are 90% contemporary music. So it sounds like a huge batch of black dots that got thrown from 15 ft away and ended up as notes on the page so there's nothing that holds the music together, no Melodies to speak of, and it creates for me a huge amount of frustration. The last French horn recital I went to the guy played nothing but way out there contemporary pieces and I went home and told my wife, that all I wanted was just one beautiful piece of music that had a great Melody and left me with a very good feeling inside and that guy didn't even play one melodic piece.

Sorry Marty, I've got to pass this one by. Maynard ain't Jaco.
that's for sure and this was when Maynard started to sound different from his early days and he used way too much vibrato and did way too much of the "horse winny" crap. I have actually gotten really burned out on the song just because several the bands I used to play in, we played it over and over and over.

Here's a pair of opposites that popped up on my new release feed which happen to bookend my music tastes.

New magnum PI video of the Hughes MD 500D Helicopter
I didn't know that Actor Roger Earl Mosley who portrayed TC on the show was
a certified Helicopter pilot

The video footage and the music complement each other perfectly :clapping:

that's for sure and this was when Maynard started to sound different from his early days and he used way too much vibrato and did way too much of the "horse winny" crap. I have actually gotten really burned out on the song just because several the bands I used to play in, we played it over and over and over.
Growing up in the 70s playing trumpet in Jr. High and High School, Maynard was popular with a lot of the other trumpet players. Everybody wanted to go stratospheric like Maynard. While I liked his version of Chameleon, a lot of his other stuff leaves me kinda "meh."

Explore the World by Brainheart featuring Sis

Explore the world In your way
Create memories that you won't forget
You only live once so don't waste your time
Please don't waste your time

Take a risk, go outside
Travel till you can't no more
In your way, you will find your inner naked soul

Explore the world In your way
Create memories that you won't forget
You only live once so don't waste your time
Please don't waste your time

Probably won't click with most of y'all here, but I love it, and it is what I'm listening to, so there:

s6

Back