What are you having for TurkeyDay that is unusual?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carrot jello. It's pretty standard for me, but everyone thinks I'm a weirdo.

IMG_3838.jpg

Korean food... :(

I don't care for kimchi (on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being love, I'd rate it a 2 to 3 (tops)), I hate fish (had some issues with it as a kid, and not looking for a repeat any time soon). Our vegetarian's meal was topped with meat... Its replacement had an egg on it. Upon getting back to my apartment, I found something in the fridge to carry me over.

Had I known where we were going to go, I'd have bowed out, and went to the buffet I was looking forward to (they typically have turkey and ham). I just hope they'll have it again soon, because I've got a severe mashed potatoes and gravy deficiency.

Last edited:
We cheated and bought the Takeout full dinner from Mimi's Cafe.
Not as good as momma used to make but she isn’t here to make it.

Wayco and I are smoking a whole Turkey, a turkey breast and two whole chickens today (we have a big smoker). Picked up a Trader Joe's uncured cooked spiral cut ham too. Smoking Yams and brussels sprouts closer to dinnertime. Baking New England style dressing and will have mashed potatoes and gravy too. Wayne (Mr. Baker) is making his famous crescent rolls and my father is bringing over a pecan pie to have with ice cream, neither of which I can eat due to allergies so I'll just have more Champagne. Pretty traditional for only 3 people.

Tomorrow we will food seal packages of meat to give to my 85 year old father and Wayne's 94 year old mother and throw a bunch in the freezer for future meals. I brined the poultry for three days and rubbed them down this morning with my own seasoning (equal portions Himalayan pink salt, black pepper, onion, powder, garlic powder, sugar, ginger and a double portion of smoked paprika). If the breeze cooperates we can torture the golfers with the smell......

Family Thanksgiving is canceled for the first time in my family's history (or at least my own family history), so that's pretty unusual for us. Seeing that my mom is extremely high risk it only makes sense. We have no real plans and will likely go the culinary improv route.

Wait... carrot jello?

We usually go to my brother's house and share Thanksgiving with his family and his wife's extended family but cancelled those plans weeks ago. Then, this past week, our daughter's nursing (nursing assistant/STNS and in nursing school) rotation had her working in a COVID unit, so she isn't coming either, even though she bought the turkey. Instead, we experimented and cooked the turkey in our son's new air-fryer. Our other son brought homemade baklava, and we took that, plus turkey, gravy, stuffing, mashed potatoes, hawaiian rolls, salad, etc. to our daughter and SIL's house, and they shared their peel and eat shrimp and homemade cream cheese balls with us. Oh, and there was also pumpkin and blueberry pie. Nothing too unusual really.

Since it just me and the feline guys they got a can of tuna & I had a frozen tuna casserole which after it was cooked I mixed in some cranberries and sliced almonds salad topping.

Three things unusual.

1) My wife Brenda and I were alone all day on Thanksgiving. That's never happened in 41 years of marriage. Felt a bit strange to say the least.

2) We spent over 4.5 hours with all four of our children and their four spouses, four of the 6 grands, my mom and my sis on ZOOM. Not as good as in person, but way better than not getting to see them at all. Sigh.......

3) Can anybody say dry rub BBQ-Ribs that were melting off the bones and so juicy in your mouth they needed no sauce, mashed potatoes, green beans with pepper, garlic and onion, and for dessert...Pumpkin Pie with home made whipped Cream. The Mashed potatoes, green beans, and pumpkin pie with whipped Cream were the only tradition parts.

A wonderfully blessed day for which my family has much to be thankful. All four of Brenda's and my children are now married. Been waiting for the youngest two to get off the bench as they say. But they've both found wonderful young ladies with whom to spend the rest of their lives and both of them tied the knot in the middle of this Corona Crisis. They figured they could get around to the big wedding later. I couldn't have agreed more.

I am about as thankful as I can be on this National Day of Thanksgiving. And being the "Rocket Rev.," that I am, I know perfectly well how much I owe to the one with the nailed scarred hands.

Be Blessed my fellow Rocketeers!
Remember this: Parachutes can Save Rockets, but only Jesus can Save the Rocketeer!

I remain as thankful, grateful, and humbled as ever.

Brad, the "Rocket Rev.," Wilson

ps: Some of you know I had surgery on Monday. Clearly I am doing just fine!

Just a wonderful uplifting read Brad,, thank you..
First time ever Sandy and I spent Thanksgiving day alone too..
I am so grateful to have her and the most wonderful life any man could ever ask for..
We had pushed the big food / turkey cook until Friday when my daughter was going to come over with her boyfriend..
They were at his mother's house last Sunday with his brother and his family..
Well, mom tested positive yesterday ( Wednesday ) so my daughter and her boyfriend immediately went into quarantine..
Prayers every day for the boyfriends mom for a full recovery..

No Thanksgiving gathering this year..
But no less Thanksgiving and gratitude..

Teddy

Ohh,, sorry,, got off track, lol..
I'd love to try the carrot jello.. You must hear "wait, what" a lot with that one, lol..
It's late now, you're all making my mouth water..
I'm frying a turkey, Sandy's making sausage and cornbread stuffing, and brussel sprouts, all my favorites..
The turkey is brining right now in the fry pot so I get an eye on displacement..
Please, please,
don't ask me why it's so important to brine in the pot you're going to fry in so you get an accurate idea of the birds displacement..

Teddy

Been eating Orange Jello with slivered Carrots for decades. Afraid I've never made it myself so I have no idea if it ever had lemon zest in it or not and I'm afraid that my taste buds are not selective enough on citrus to tell the difference. But one last point, here in the Mid- West where it is very popular for church pot-lucks and funeral luncheons this Jello carrot dish almost always has a layer of Miracle Whip on it as a topping. I do know that it's supposed to be good for your eyesight and good for your finger nails. I have no idea what the Miracle Whip is good for other than adding a touch of sweetness to the taste. But hey, that's a good think in and of itself.

Been eating Orange Jello with slivered Carrots for decades. Afraid I've never made it myself so I have no idea if it ever had lemon zest in it or not and I'm afraid that my taste buds are not selective enough on citrus to tell the difference. But one last point, here in the Mid- West where it is very popular for church pot-lucks and funeral luncheons this Jello carrot dish almost always has a layer of Miracle Whip on it as a topping. I do know that it's supposed to be good for your eyesight and good for your finger nails. I have no idea what the Miracle Whip is good for other than adding a touch of sweetness to the taste. But hey, that's a good think in and of itself.
Love that as well. The top layer was orange jello combined with the miracle whip, and sprinkled with mini marshmallows

Carrot jello is definitely a Midwest-thing. Like the Rev said, In Iowa, where I’m originally from, it will be in the “salad section“ of every church pot-luck—often next to a red jello with bananas in it and the cottage cheese.

On Friday, I managed to go to the buffet that I had wanted to go to on Thanksgiving... They did have turkey and ham. However, we arrived pretty late and it was pretty much picked over... Still plans are now made for Christmas dinner, and we'll be earlier.

Hey,
Whitney is always posting food pics making me drool all over my keyboard..

Take that Whit..

Teddy
CD75C9AA-C1F1-4540-AF63-B356DB8A0925.jpeg

Hey,
Whitney is always posting food pics making me drool all over my keyboard..

Take that Whit..

Teddy
View attachment 440230
Oh, man, I don’t cook, so I went to my brother/sister-in-law’s house and she only cooks just enough . . . no leftovers to take home. So, I bought a frozen turkey roll and might give it a shot at cooking it between now and Christmas. Instructions already have me nervous, talking about what not to do when thawing, talking about a buildup of histamines and something else, lol. Ted, that turkey looks delicious.

Oh, man, I don’t cook, so I went to my brother/sister-in-law’s house and she only cooks just enough . . . no leftovers to take home. So, I bought a frozen turkey roll and might give it a shot at cooking it between now and Christmas. Instructions already have me nervous, talking about what not to do when thawing, talking about a buildup of histamines and something else, lol. Ted, that turkey looks delicious.

Yeah,
You ain't just whistlin Dixie there Hank,, lol..
I'm tellin ya,
You could put an old sneaker in peanut oil for 45 minutes and it'd be delicious..
Come on over Hank..
I'll make you some Turkey and stuffing any day man..
After all, you're just around the corner..

Teddy

Yeah,
You ain't just whistlin Dixie there Hank,, lol..
I'm tellin ya,
You could put an old sneaker in peanut oil for 45 minutes and it'd be delicious..
Come on over Hank..
I'll make you some Turkey and stuffing any day man..
After all, you're just around the corner..

Teddy

ROFL, New Jersey ———————->California. On a galactic scale, I guess you are right.

It's not hard, after all you're a rocket scientist. :D

FWIW I've always thawed turkey in cold water; takes about 8 hours for a 14 lb bird. I'd thaw it in the fridge but it always takes longer in our fridge than the instructions say. If thawing in the fridge, put it on the highest rack (not quite as cold). A probe thermometer that can be left in while the turkey bakes is worthwhile. Any questions, just holler.

Best -- Terry

ROFL, New Jersey ———————->California. On a galactic scale, I guess you are right.

Ohh come on Hank..
What's 3000 miles between friends ??
That's just a hop, skip, and a jump.. lol..

Teddy

Ok,
What's this--

1607132030842.png

Why did the image turn sideways ??
I can't find how to turn it back..

First hint,
It's not Vodka sauce,, lol..

Teddy

Peanut oil?

No,
But excellent guess Hank.
I didn't think of that one..

turkey stock

Comon mann..
I thought it'd be harder than that..
Second guess..

That's it for the turkey..
3 quarts of wonderful stock to cook with..

Today or tomorrow the last of the meat is going into a
turkey and spicy italian sausage stew kinda thing, over a yellow rice..

Teddy

Back