What are you having for TurkeyDay that is unusual?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prfesser

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
We have an un-stuffed turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, broccoli, Dutch apple pie, and pumpkin pie. Nothing really unusual. What is y'all having that is a little out of the way?

Probably not this year, but my wife's step-dad likes to make venison steaks braised in a red wine sauce for part of the meal.

Smoked turkey with sides, mashed and sweet potatoes (NOT candied), green bean casserole, sausage stuffing. Easy meal, not like some I've done in the past. Nothing unusual though. Oh, and beer, wine and football.

I live alone, except for my cats.
I'm having thanksgiving alone.
Previous years, I bought a rotisserie turkey breast, but, apparently, King Soopers doesn't do those anymore. At least not at my local store. Or maybe they sold out. So, anyway, I bought a rotisserie chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy and a chocolate moose for desert.
I probably should have bought something alcoholic, but I didn't. Cold Duck was a family tradition.

Staying at home, rather than a family gathering. Really unfortunate, since we haven't had a gathering since my dad passed.
Roasting a turkey breast using my favorite wild duck recipe for dinner. Dessert will have a twist, as we both had a hankering for a coconut cream pie.
Be careful and stay safe if you are traveling.

My regular mountain bike club usually has a group riding in the morning on Thanksgiving before most family festivities start. Might as well earn the feast by burning the calories ahead of time.

One thing I found surprising when I asked this question of my students: Homemade Mac & cheese is a very popular side dish in the south, one that apparently doesn't get made very often. My family has always considered homemade mac&cheese to be an ordinary dinner, once or twice a month.

White cheddar. :)
Best -- Terry

Quick n dirty recipe for juicy turkey: soak thawed bird overnight in 1 cup salt + enough water to cover + ice to keep cold , in a cooler. Rinse very well, over and over, inside and out (or the gravy will be too salty). Roast upside down for an hour, flip it right-side up, roast till done, about 170F for breast meat I think. I've done this for 20 years; dad did it for 10 years before that. The last 5-6 years the neighbors have had us and a dozen guests for Thanksgiving. Barbara always asks if we'll do the turkey, please...

Oat bran for dinner and popcorn later. My wife is VP for a local animal shelter and will be working Thanksgiving so the staff can have the day off. We will have turkey, mashed potatoes, etc. on Friday.

While I don't celebrate Thanksgiving anymore since moving to the Netherlands, I am trying Gordon Ramsey's vegetarian "Beef Wellington" recipe this weekend as dry run for Christmas dinner.

We normally go to my sister in laws for diner with the family. Since COVID is so bad in our county I told my wife lets skip it. I'm older and have some comorbidities. Just heard that she tested positive for COVID last week so it's a good thing I said cancel. We will be cooking a turkey breast at home and enjoying ourselves.

Stay safe and healthy everyone. Happy Thanksgiving.

Back