What are you doing for the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 landing?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpitfield

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am interested to see or read about what everyone else is doing or thinking of doing for the 50th anniversary of the moon landing?

I picked up and assembled the new Lego "NASA Apollo 11 Lunar Lander" Kit# 10266 https://shop.lego.com/en-US/product/NASA-Apollo-11-Lunar-Lander-10266

I was planning on assembling my Lego "NASA Apollo Saturn V" Kit# 21309 https://shop.lego.com/en-US/product/LEGO-NASA-Apollo-Saturn-V-21309 along with the LUT. However, I am still collecting parts for the LUT, so it will have to wait a bit longer.

I just saw the Metal Earth "Apollo CSM with LM," which looks like a nice small model. Has anyone built this, it looks a bit fiddly? https://www.metalearth.com/apollo-csm-with-lem

On Saturday the 20th, my club, the Wright Stuff Rocketeers, will be at the National Museum of the United States Air Force doing a build and fly. This year the museum has purchased 750 rocket kits for people to build. After the rockets are built they will send them out to the front lawn and the club will help people launch them. The museum is also supplying the motors.

The next day the club will be in Wapakoneta to do a demonstration launch on the front lawn of the Neal Armstrong Museum.

Going to be a busy weekend for us.

A lot of clubs are doing launches on the 16th and especially the 20th.
MASA (MSP area in Minnesota) has a launch on the 20th.
This is what I'll be flying. Many others will be flying Saturn-V's.
RxFoyQu.jpg

My Metal Earth kit showed up today. I'll let you know how fiddly it is. I've built several Star Wars ones before, so shouldn't be too bad.

Metal Earth are great! I recommend flat needle nose pliers to help fold pieces and tab twists, and the knurled edge of a coin or similar to fold the tabs flat when required

I'll be getting up early to help set out racks for the 5000 rocket launch at the ussrc the 16th, and then taking cover a bit further away

Kansas Cosmosphere is having Landing on the Lawn. We will watch CBS replay. Lots of vendors and later telescopes for star watching

I hope to have the Estes 1:100 Saturn V complete and fly it on the 20th.

I also have the Metal Earth CSM/LEM kit which will get done sometime this year. I picked it up at the Smithsonian earlier in the year. Looked like a nice model to build up.

I am interested to see or read about what everyone else is doing or thinking of doing for the 50th anniversary of the moon landing?

I picked up and assembled the new Lego "NASA Apollo 11 Lunar Lander" Kit# 10266 https://shop.lego.com/en-US/product/NASA-Apollo-11-Lunar-Lander-10266

I was planning on assembling my Lego "NASA Apollo Saturn V" Kit# 21309 https://shop.lego.com/en-US/product/LEGO-NASA-Apollo-Saturn-V-21309 along with the LUT. However, I am still collecting parts for the LUT, so it will have to wait a bit longer.

I just saw the Metal Earth "Apollo CSM with LM," which looks like a nice small model. Has anyone built this, it looks a bit fiddly? https://www.metalearth.com/apollo-csm-with-lem

Our club, WOOSH (NAR section 558) is holding a 2 day launch at Richard Bong Recration Area. I expect to see numerous Saturn V models flown, including my Sirius 1:64, some LOC 7.5" (about 1:52), and a bunch of Estes 1:100 & 1:200. Our sound guy hopes to setup some vintage apollo LPs to play during the launch!

As far as the metal model, I've built the stand-alone LM, IIRC the toughest part was the 16 tiny RCS nozzles. The lunar rover was more difficult, with the compound curve fenders.

I hadn't seen the Lego LM, going to have to order that one!

I spent an hour at the Cigar shop trying to convince a conspiracy goon that we had the ability to launch rockets into space, but he still insisted that it was all done in a movie studio.

My Saturn V won't make it for the launch anniversary on Saturday. Still can't paint due to cold weather.:( Oh well, I'd rather finish it a week or three later with a better outcome.

I enjoy almost every stage of this hobby. Whether it is the design based on goals, the manufacturing process and related challenges, the avionics and electronics to meet the goals, the artistic finishing side and finally launching, I vowed a long time ago not to compromise one aspect to meet another.

Hopefully the weather is good to fly on the 20th.

My Saturn V won't make it for the launch anniversary on Saturday. Still can't paint due to cold weather :(. Oh well, I'd rather finish it a week or three later with a better outcome.
Look into ordering some Montana paint or if you have a Blick Art nearby, they carry it. It’s weatherproof nitro-acrylic and there are a gazillion colors.

I had hoped to fly a couple of BT-70 up-scales (BBZ, Goblin, Bandit) but now it looks like I will be working.. :(
Ugh, too bad. I was in the same boat, but fortunately a co-worker agreed to swap shifts with me. Otherwise, I was going to see about taking a LONG "lunch break".

Hosting a Massive all day launch, including a night launch hat 10:00pm. And, we have some of the Vermont astronomical society coming down, and binging some looking-thru tubes. a 10" & 14" if I'm not mistaken.. (With Jupiter & Saturn so close & well positioned, we should see the giant red spot & count the rings around Saturn!)

I will be reading my 50 year old copies of Life magazines and the Seattle Post Intelligenter from those historic days. I saved every (well all most) copies of Life that had some to do with space flights and copies of the PI. I missed out on a lot of the television coverage of Apollo 11 because of my duties while in the Air Force. Did get to watch the EVA on my black and white Zenth TV in the barracks. No flying of rockets because of a burn ban.

Was hoping to launch some Saturns but forecast is for breezy conditions going past the weekend.
So will probably watch a few documentaries and do a few builds.

Dug out all the old rockets I built with my sons in the 90's
Working on getting them launch ready.
A few buddies will get together in the morning (before it gets too hot here in Texas) to see if we can sacrifice them to the rocket gods.
I plan on building new ones so if they are destroyed we will just have fun.
Then head back to the house grill some burgers, drink some beer and pull out all my space memorabilia to look over.
Then watch some movies, The Right Stuff, Apollo 13 etc.
Then in the evening light up a campfire in the yard. Eat some moon pies and RC cola.
Then raise a glass of good Kentucky bourbon to Grissom, White and Chaffey.

My Metal Earth kit showed up today. I'll let you know how fiddly it is. I've built several Star Wars ones before, so shouldn't be too bad.
I'm lazy. I buy highly detailed diecast aircraft models. There are tons of different types of military aircraft and other military hardware models to be had:

https://hobbymaster.com.hk/

But on the 50th anniversary of what was and will probably remain for a long time the greatest accomplishment of mankind and there's not even ONE decent CM or LM diecast model to be found!

Hopefully going to MDRA on Sat. Today on the anniversary of the launch, I flew a MM Saturn V at the park on my way to work, better than nothing! :)

Attachments

• 9E0FFEB4-E8CD-478C-A5F9-B0F35E9784E7.jpeg
    9E0FFEB4-E8CD-478C-A5F9-B0F35E9784E7.jpeg
    137.4 KB · Views: 31
Hopefully going to MDRA on Sat. Today on the anniversary of the launch, I flew a MM Saturn V at the park on my way to work, better than nothing! :)
You just reminded me I have a MicroMaxx Saturn V! I'll bring mine on Saturday, if I can find it.

I couldn't locate a Boyce Saturn and a Little Joe II this morning, hopefully by the weekend I can find them.

Back