What are these in the fin root?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YaKnow!

Reaction score
I was looking at a picture of a rocket and noticed a technique for attaching fins I have never seen before.
This appears to be epoxy blobs maybe?

Not sure, and I was wondering if someone could tell me what I am looking at.

1611598817054.png

Attachments

• finroot.jpg
    finroot.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 1611598789029.png
    1611598789029.png
    637.6 KB · Views: 78
That is a Scott Binder / Fusion Rockets Arrow X. The manufacturer’s site photos are tough to make out, but it does not appear the kit offers that additional detail stock. I think the builder decided to ‘play up’ the missle-like design and add those greebles. Makes for a nice effect.

Thanks!
And here I was thinking they were a new way to do fin roots and they structural. :)

https://www.fusionrocket.biz/store-2/?model_number=AR01
The kit includes a 3D printed nozzle for display. So I would guess those are 3D printed parts for scale looking detail that may not be part of the kit - but sure look pretty cool. It also includes the decals shown which I think look really nice.

Tony
IIRC Those detail pieces are actually laser cut heavy cardstock, and they fo come with the kit afaik. The tail fin locks/actuators are laser cut plywood.

IIRC Those detail pieces are actually laser cut heavy cardstock, and they fo come with the kit afaik. The tail fin locks/actuators are laser cut plywood.
From the description: “Kit includes laser-cut 1/8" aircraft quality plywood fins, laser-cut detail parts, and a custom 3D-Printed plastic simulated nozzle (not recommended for flight)”. Sure sounds like you are right, I missed that in the description before. Pretty cool looking kit and helps explain the price.

Tony

From the description: “Kit includes laser-cut 1/8" aircraft quality plywood fins, laser-cut detail parts, and a custom 3D-Printed plastic simulated nozzle (not recommended for flight)”. Sure sounds like you are right, I missed that in the description before. Pretty cool looking kit and helps explain the price.

Tony
Scott Binder is one of our local vendors (and only a 45 minute drive from me) so I see lots of his kits and his prototypes as well, he has some outstanding designs and the ArrowX is one of the coolest IMO.

Latest posts

Back