What am I doing wrong?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelltym88

Reaction score
OK, been to JimZ's. Tried to download plans. All I get is quicktime format for the particular plans I'm looking for, no PDF. How can I print from the quicktime format? Thanx guys.

Did you try right clicking on the links and saving the file or target?

yes Shrox, I tried that, but it won't let me save. That option is not hi-lited.

I even tried saving as a bitmap, couldn't print from that either.

If I'm not mistaken, nearly all of JimZ's plans are in TIFF format. Quicktime must be set as your default TIFF (.tif) viewer. This happens automatically if you install Quicktime and do not uncheck the file association options. If you are unable to right-click then "Save As" - which strikes me as odd - then you'll need to change your file association to another program. (ie WinXP's Fax & Image Viewer, Win98 Kodak Image Viewer). For a "how to" on changing file associations, see this <a href="https://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=306493">Microsoft Support</a> page. (Applies to Win98/ME. Click <a href="https://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307859&sd=tech">HERE</a> for WinXP.)

Also, I'm not sure which option you are selecting when you Right-Click the image, but make sure you choose "Save Target As".

See attached image.

I've tried all of that, still can't save. Now I need to eliminate the Quicktime from coming up and change to something else. I have no idea what I'm doing.

You probably want to get a tiff viewer. I reccommend AlternaTIFF, as the USPTO uses this one in providing access to patent information online. I've been using it for quite some time, through many updates, and I have never had a problem with it. It's a relatively small program, and a very quick download, even on my connection at 28.8kbps. Alternatiff is just a viewer, since the format itself is copyrighted, but it is easy to get images from AlternaTIFF to whatever image editing program you use. AlternaTIFF loads in your browser window as a helper program (like acrobat, but quicker) when you click on the tif images on JimZ's site. When the image has loaded, right click on it and select "Copy Image"; then you can paste in your image editing program and save it as whatever image format you like.

https://www.alternatiff.com/

Peace :cool:
Mike

Hey Tim,

Help me understand your problem some more. You're saying that if you right-click on an image on the plans page you can't select "Save Target As"???

Weird.

Also, for PDF files: On JimZ's site, if the plans are available in PDF format, there will be a button that looks like:
pdfjewel.gif

You should be able to either click on that PDF button and the entire set of plans will open up in Acrobat, or try the right click and save target thing again.

Have you tried disabling .TIFF files from your Quicktime as their default program?

Here's another thing you can try.

Do you have any .TIF files already on your hard drive? Anywhere? If so, find it. Right click on that file and click "Properties." There should be three tabs properties window, the first being "General." Near the top of that "general" page, there is a line that says "Opens With" and a button that says "Change." I suspect that "Opens With" is set as QuickTime. If you hit the "Change" button, a program list will pop up. I suggest changing the default program for .TIF files to "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer."

Once you change the properties for a single .TIF file, the default will change for every .TIF file - including new ones.

if that still does not work (although it should!) you can try this:

right click on the image you want to download. This image should link to the bigger version of itself. Right click on the small picture and 'Copy Shortcut'. Then go to my handy dandy javascript link maker . In the box, right click and paste. Click the button, and then try to right click, save link as. This should work, but it should have worked before as well.

I want thank all of for your suggestions.

mtmind-- I downloaded the program you recommended and that worked.

forecheck-- I folowed your suggestion as well and changed one of my .tif files to open with the windows program.

Thanx again everyone. Hopefully I'll have some clones coming pretty soon.

Originally posted by kelltym88
I want thank all of for your suggestions.

mtmind-- I downloaded the program you recommended and that worked.

forecheck-- I folowed your suggestion as well and changed one of my .tif files to open with the windows program.

Thanx again everyone. Hopefully I'll have some clones coming pretty soon.

Haha...this Forum is loaded with all kinda IT people. Nice work folks. That's a wrap. "Next question please." :)

One thing to note on the *.TIF files with windows picture and fax viewer - that program will not print the file to scale, but you should be able to view it just fine. For a page of fin templates, body wraps, and/or decals that you want printed to the correct size, open that *.tif file with the windows "paint" program (that cheap drawing program that comes with Windows.) After opening, check the page setup to make sure that the entire page can be printed to one sheet - but the paint program *will* print the file at the correct size.

(the picture and fax viewer will "stretch" the picture to fit the page, but paint will not unless you specifically tell it to do so.)

Latest posts

Back