What Adhesive for Ceramics?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuyNoir

Reaction score
Ok, so the wife had a ceramic object that the household kitties have destroyed.

What adhesive have you guys out there used with success to put the ceramic bits back together again?

I have done that with good old white glue. On my deck now is a bird feeder that was glued together and has been outside most of the time for 20 years.

Had this request from my wife yesterday. It was an antique pie "spatula" from her grandmother. Cracked in half. At a thickness of <1/16" epoxy is not your best choice. A silicon/rubber-cement works well but leaves too much gap. I went for thick CA with a quick spritz of hardener. Worked great. Pieces were tight and strong. She was delighted. Priceless :).

I would second thick or medium CA. If you don't use too much it makes an almost invisible joint. Too much will ooze out and mess things up. Work bit by bit, dry-fitting as you go.

If it isn't used with water, then white glue.

Test the fit first, then wet one of the broken ceramic surfaces with water and place a drop of CA on the other surface. Put them together. You'll end up with a nearly invisible joint that's very strong and water resistant. Any excess can be cleaned up with acetone afterwards.

[emoji1010] Steve Shannon [emoji1010]

Test the fit first, then wet one of the broken ceramic surfaces with water and place a drop of CA on the other surface. Put them together. You'll end up with a nearly invisible joint that's very strong and water resistant. Any excess can be cleaned up with acetone afterwards.

[emoji1010] Steve Shannon [emoji1010]

yup, doing this worked great for me on a butter dish. i did the repair over a year ago, the dish has been through the wash quite a few times( apparently theyre supposed to be washed before adding a new stick of butter???), and if i didn't know where the repair was made i wouldn't know it was repaired.

Back