What Adept Altimeter is this? I need manual to

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kidagain

Reaction score
Hi all,

Recently acquired a few items from a longtime NAR member and competition award winner Bruce Markielewski who passed a few years back. I want to test what I perceive is an Adept Altimeter to see if it works, but not sure how to accomplish this. I am not sure what model this is nor do I have a manual. Anything would help. Just trying to keep his legacy out there for local Rocketeers here in Colorado. Please see the attached images for reference.

Thank You,

Attachments

• 20220226_200005.jpg
    20220226_200005.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 20220226_200014.jpg
    20220226_200014.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 20220226_200136.jpg
    20220226_200136.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 20220226_200221.jpg
    20220226_200221.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 44
My guess is that it's a locator beacon/audible tracker. The two black rectangles at the very end are likely where a jumper installs that turns the unit on when pulled after an ejection event.

Last edited:
Thanks gents. I appreciate that info. I used a new Duracell N battery to test and it appears to not function. As I am an Elt Tech by trade.I think I may swap out the IC's and piezo to see if I can revive it. Any ideas along this front are very welcome. Per the Batteries Plus associate the unit uses an "N Cell" 1.5 V. The holder uses UM-5 equivalent

Adept usually used a12V battery. A23 or equivalent. The CMOS IC's (4012, 4060) are of course happy with that.

Thanks gents. I appreciate that info. I used a new Duracell N battery to test and it appears to not function. As I am an Elt Tech by trade.I think I may swap out the IC's and piezo to see if I can revive it. Any ideas along this front are very welcome. Per the Batteries Plus associate the unit uses an "N Cell" 1.5 V. The holder uses UM-5 equivalent
Like UhClem said, try an A23. 1.5V probably isn't enough for that buzzer.

holy moly! ok.. I wondered once I read the spcs that was sent. Thanks. Will grab on of those.

Original Adept user here, from before he moved to Colorado. I have the original catalog, that mostly explained everything. Alex Boyce and I flew the first staging timers with pencil written instructions. If you need anything else, let me know. TRF holds and amazing amount of info, but I can't contribute anything else fir you except using the N battery. Seen in auto parts stores for older remotes.

Seems one of the IC's is getting a bit warm once powered up. If that is not the norm, I will replace it. Rule of thumb as a tech if it gets hot its most likely bad, that rule served me well back in the day. I tried a new A23 Battery and it failed to work as expected from what I could tell. If there is a manual or trouble shooting steps please advise. Thanks!

Does anyone know if Tommy is still with us? He liquidated his stock, including personal stuff a few years ago and his number doesn't ring

Does anyone know if Tommy is still with us? He liquidated his stock, including personal stuff a few years ago and his number doesn't ring

I was just thinking about seeing if Tommy could be reached. I know he was selling Adept22's at the local fields, and he was a tremendous asset in getting me flying with electronics because he was the first vendor with a product that I could hack and convert to LED status... This was a critical step for me flying with electronics as I am deaf. Optical confirmation of altimeter status (and readout) is absolutely critical.

I have Tommy to thank for (unknowingly) giving me the motivation and drive to get me to where I am today.

Back