What about a "Plans" section?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKPilot

Reaction score
Folks, as I'm working in the background with the registrations, something came to mind - inspired by the Goony Plan thread.

What if there was a forum strictly for plans? No discussions, just place holders for plans that people come up with.

You certainly can do this if you like

Or

We could simply tag the title of such posts with =plans= and put them in the appropriate LPR, MPR, or HPR forum.

Of course, with all the flags we could end up using, we might need a game card to keep track
=scale=
=contest=
=BG=
=plans=
etc?

I vote yes for a plans section. Would they be PDF or some other form?

That seems like a good idea, but I'm not sure that a lot of plans will be in there. EMRR has taken care of a boatload of Rocksim files, and now SpaceCAD. JimZ and YORP/YORF also have the plans covered. Now don't get me wrong, I still like the idea of a separate forum for plans, I'm just saying that it might not be such a popular forum since there are other resources out there.

I too would like a plans section. It think it would be a great asset.

Since other sites have many kit plans online, how about just scratch,or modified
plans?

i'd welcome a plans section, but isn't this taken care of with alot of the other sites Jimz, EMRR. i think all that would happen is that the plans would get copied from one site to another.
personally, i'd prefer a glider section to a plan section

Since other sites have many kit plans online, how about just scratch,or modified
plans?

Sorry, Mike hit it. This wouldn't be to duplicate what JimZ, EMRR, YORF, or any other site already has.

It'd be for scratch-built, modified items, such as Goonies, Double-D mods, Black Horse B/G (hint-hint), etc.

I think a plans section will be great, though it will have very few threads. I'd vote "yes"

Playing devil's advocate, why not just change the Scratch section to Scratch Building and New Model Plans?

Playing devil's advocate, why not just change the Scratch section to Scratch Building and New Model Plans?

That's not devil advocate - that's constructive dissatisfaction.

You've got a point there about tying in Plans with Scratch Building.

I like the idea of a plans forum. The appeal of the separate forum is that you don't have to wade through a bunch of chatter posts to find the meat. It would be nice if it were kept clean of regular banter, so it could be easily searched.

I think a section for plans that did not duplicate others is a great idea. One request though: plans should be posted with the standard 1 inch square so that fins can be printed out accurately.

Just a thought.

I agree a section for plans is a great idea....
but since people don't seem to expect much discussion in this area, it sounds more like a dedicated upload/download file 'area' - which ideally should have a simple directory browse/search interface, rather than the forum style interface... and makes me think, that might be good to have for more than plans alone, with subdirectories for tools , tutorials, etc., as well...
Kinda like Yahoo forums is set up.
That make any sense, or am i alone in the weeds here?

It would be great for the scale rocket builders, many of us have hordes of drawings,pics,plans that are not readily available,and would take alot of effort to compile from scratch.

A Scratch Built Plans Forum or Sections is a great idea AK.
It's probly going to need some different folders in the section for as stymye was saying; Scale plans, LPR, MPR, HPR and so on to make it's easier to locate the Type of Plan of interest quickly.

The Scale folder could get really big, really fast and thats a GREAT thing;)

I think a plans section is a good idea. Maybe a kit-bash sub folder too. While kit bashing is as big in rocketry as in other modeling hobbies, I've seen a few that I'd like plans for.

Ive seen on other forums where they make a permanent sticky thread entitled plans..., then each user can post a reply with his plan attached, linked etc.
You could do this under the Scratch Built forum, I think it would be a great idea!!

DING DING DING DING... I think we have a winner here folks. A permanent sticky in the Scratch Built forum titled... wait for it.............. "PLANS". Whether it's Scale, LPR, MPR, HPR, kit bash, or super secret DARPA testbed, if you are building from plans you are by definition scratch building.

Regards,

FlyBack

I like the idea of a seperate plans forum with the power lvl sub forums( mmx, lpr, mpr, hpr, gliders, and scale) The oly thing I would do with the sections id to adjust the upload amout for the rar,zip, pdf files to more then 3 mb as some can be large.

Something like this . . .Boeing Bird of Prey

Nice AK... actually I had something more like this in mind. Hmmm... I wonder how far along this study would be some sixteen years later had it been funded? Not meaning to start a "tin foil hat" argument here, but that would have been about the same year the SR-71's were finally grounded.:eek:

Still, ya want plans... here you go (feel free to move this to wherever the PLANS files ultimately get stashed). Enjoy!

Regards,

FlyBack

blackhorse_3view.jpg

Last edited:
Did this plans forum idea die?

I'd like to see it happen. Sure JimZ and Ye Olde have the "commercial" plans pretty well handled, but my non-creative mind would love to see plans of scratchbuilt birds!

Something like this . . .Boeing Bird of Prey

Yes, it does (did) fly for many years. All I can say at this point is that this is antiquated technology. ;)

Phantom Works

Interesting air vehicle to see up close and personnal, but since it's hanging from the ceiling of the Air Force Museum at WPAFB it's not the cutting edge anymore.

Nice AK... actually I had something more like this in mind. Hmmm... I wonder how far along this study would be some sixteen years later had it been funded? Not meaning to start a "tin foil hat" argument here, but that would have been about the same year the SR-71's were finally grounded.:eek:

Still, ya want plans... here you go (feel free to move this to wherever the PLANS files ultimately get stashed). Enjoy!

Regards,

FlyBack

The SR-71 fleet was grounded was because it was extremely expensive to have 10% of the USAF tanker fleet dedicated to support world-wide SR-71 operations because of it's unique fuel requirements, and equivalent intellegence could be obtained by other means at lower cost.

Similarly, hydrogen peroxide is not a standard propellant in the USAF logistical pipeline, and no tankers exist to supply it. This is only one of the reasons why the cost to support the proposed Black Horse TAV operations would have far exceeded the SR-71 support program, and why it didn't get anywhere.

Bob

The SR-71 fleet was grounded was because it was extremely expensive to have 10% of the USAF tanker fleet dedicated to support world-wide SR-71 operations because of it's unique fuel requirements, and equivalent intellegence could be obtained by other means at lower cost.

Lower cost, or there was another more viable alternative? Something to think about . . . but, my lips are sealed. ;)

Remember, the SR-71 has been officially retired twice now.

I wondered about that as well.

Also remember that the SR-71 existed for nearly twenty years before the general public ever heard of it...

another interesting SR-71 "fact", I heard a few years ago, with the exception of the 2 where they deliberately over heat stressed the aircraft all the displayed SR-71's are parked on their wheels.

I just viewed an SR-71 yesterday in the Museum of Flight here in Seattle. Michael is correct the one here is on it's wheels; albeit they look like some metal alloy.

Back