What a 'Rush'

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llickteig1

KLOUDBusters Chief Logistician
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I got some photos back from a photographer friend who attended the KloudBusters Oct. Fun Fly a couple of weeks ago during which I launched a PML Endeavor I call "Orange Rush" to a personal altitude record 7305' on a spankin' K550. They are by far the best photos ever of any of my rockets in action. I love White Lightning propellant.

Here are some photos . . .

Sweet flight! I love that rocket design. I personally just have the 'mini-me' version.

Wow! Those are great shots! What did you have to do to the Endeavour to handle the K550???

I was wondering how much that rocket could take when I saw it... NICE.

The Orange Rush is a Quantum Tube rocket built using the Anti-Zipper construction discussed on Info Central.

In order to be on the safe side I made a few modification for strength. At the top of the fin can instead of just using a standard coupler which is about 7" long for a 4" airframe, I used a full-length phenolic coupler that runs the full length of the fin can. This makes the entire fin can double-walled and adds a lot of surface area for the fins to bond. I used chopped fiiberglass in my internal structural fillets and I foamed the fin can. There's a lot of weight added there, but it is strong.

Of course, I ditched the piston and added my own home-brewed coupler-based altimeter bay. In fact, the altimeter bay for this rocket is the same one I use for the Stretched Tethys. This rocket was also built with an Extended Kwik-Switch to accommodate longer motors.

The whole rocket weighs about 8 1/2 pounds without the motor, but I still get plenty of kick with J's and above and this is my primary EX rocket right now, although I need to come up with something else for winter flying -- Quantum Tube + freezing temps = couplers that don't fit and shattered tubes.

--Lance.

Great pictures, Lance. That is a sweet rocket.

I missed the Oct. fun fly because of other obligations. Hope to see you at Distant Thunder.

Back