What a Great Flying Day 07-10-04

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I had a Blast early Saturday morning!
I can't remember a more perfect flying weather. between 7:00am and about 9:30 the temp was in the low to mid 70's, kind of damp in the mountains with 70% humidity, High thin clouds and NO wind at all! Dead Clam.. Very unusual for Middletown Park, Maryland.
I logged 10 micro-maxx flights in that short 2 1/2 hours. would have been more but I litterly burned out my only experimental piston launcher, before I got to fly some of my new micro models.
Great flights were finally had by all three size Nike-Smoke Scale models .281"dia , .375" and .448" the tiny 1: 58 .281" was out-of-sight for a few second on a MM-II motor..I've got to put a colored teflon streamer in that one:) 3 mocro PMC's were fun F-104 still needs a little work, X15 and F16XL flew well. Gliders.. OH man I had some pretty nice flights in dead air... a Large Oval wing BumbleFlea logged a 21 sce flight and my Micro Ivee's Arrow straight boost would have made a very long glide if not for a super tight CCW turn (too much clay on the wing tip) sprialing in a 12' circle still timed out at 26 seconds.
Than came the not so good flights... Micro Space Ship One's first flight on a MM-II motor off the piston was amazing Wow...Pow she was WAY up there..then ejection and OH NO seperation. the Nose cone with all whose tiny individual star decals came crashing into the woods by the creek with a thub... never to be seen again:( Body and streamer were recovered fine...now I must turn another nose..DRAT!!!!
Being forgetful sometimes I left my normal tie down thread home. So decided to use some helicopter elastic thread to hold down the elevator on my micro NOMAD RG...Very bad idea... apparently it did not hold the elevator down well enough... at lift off she did a very quck loop into the top of my van..destroying the model.. I got most of the parts back but never found the pod/pylon or nosecone.. That was also the end of the Piston which must have melted the Liquid electric tape used to insulate the contact tubes for the brass support tube. Insant dead short the fused the wires into a solid smoking mass on the TaperPaper PD test
But a great day to that point ... and I again learned something.. even if your experimenting make 2 of every thing! Yeah I now have 6 piston supports/wireways and plenty of support material in the box. Red thread is back in the box also:D
Sorry NO lift-off pics, they are just WAY to quick of the piston.. even with the camera on burst. heres a page of some stills.

What the heck is that contraption your using for a launch pad.

Let me guess,
It's a computerized, proximity sensing, weather analizing, supervisory control and data acquistion launch pad?

Preprogrammed to seek out a suitable launch site,
level itself, adjust rod angle for wind speed and direction,
acoustically announce countdown and at tee minus 3 it request launch confirmation acknowledgement from mission control, then proceeds with auto-fire sequence of the rocket.

Then after each launch it returns to you for reload, if necessary it will home in on the beacon attached to your ankle. On the return trip it processes all launch data for full download and graphical display?

Come on Micro, am I even close?

John,

7-10-04 WAS a great day for flying.

Happy to hear the zero wind stretched all the way from Michigan to Maryland. :)

Sandman and I, too, had a great day of flying, (posted in another thread).

Sorry to hear about your Nomad. We lost a mini astron spaceplane to a similar arc manouver. Appears we're gonna have to talk to our mini-pilots about being a little lighter on the stick at liftoff! :p

Beautiful rockets, as always. Really love the X-15.

And would you please post a bigger pic of the mico Space Plane 1? My eyes ain't what they used to be. :mad: Looks great but I want to see the details.

Originally posted by Micromister
... Micro Space Ship One's first flight on a MM-II motor off the piston was amazing Wow...Pow she was WAY up there..then ejection and OH NO seperation. the Nose cone with all whose tiny individual star decals came crashing into the woods by the creek with a thub... never to be seen again:( Body and streamer were recovered fine...now I must turn another nose..DRAT!!!!

Hey, where did you get the Space Ship One? That sounds really cool!

micro....I feel like I'm in the twilight Zone. I was at Middletown but didn't see you. Same Middletown Park? Was I really there? :D

Anyway, sound's like you had great launch, wish you had stayed later.

Dick:
My plan was to fly a batch of expermental stuff that I didn't want a bunch of folks having to dodge:D as it turned out I didn't get to most of them because of Pee Poor Planning on my part. I was there at 6:55 with the Ranger opening the park gates. I was up and flying by a little after 7am. and the last flight logged at 9:12am but didn't fly because I smoked the piston!
You guys must have slept in! I didn't leave the park much before 10:00am which I thought was the start of flying time for the club??? What time did you folks roll in?

Scadaman: I'm not sure which thing your referring to, my Micro maxx launch pad or the Weather station? Geoffery and Eeyore kept me company:D Niether flys but they talk;)

Gus and jrthro:
Space Ship One is a scratch built micor scale model I build and drew up the plans for If you do a search i'm sure the plan is in the scratch built section, if you'd like to build one. Gus heres a static pic of her,

You guys must have slept in! I didn't leave the park much before 10:00am which I thought was the start of flying time for the club??? What time did you folks roll in?

I got there about 5 'til 10 as I remember. The pads arrived about ten after or so. I'll have to think about getting there early if I have oddballs to try. Just gotta remember the pad and controller.

Scadaman: I'm not sure which thing your referring to, my Micro maxx launch pad or the Weather station?

Your micro maxx launch pad!

I really feel that some of us out here look to some of you as mentors. And I'm very curious as to your launch pad in that pic.

Well, now that you brought it up, your weather station also.

Oh shoot, might as well let you know I'm curious about the "other" launch pad I see in some of your post, the one that looks like a wooden box with all kinds of measuring devices built into it.

But that micro maxx launch pad looks like it's built to be self propelled... What's up Micromister, can it really move on its own?

How much and what kind of data recording do you do for each flight? Is it just fun to know how fast it leaves the pad or do you use this data to better yourself next time?

Originally posted by scadaman29325
How much and what kind of data recording do you do for each flight? Is it just fun to know how fast it leaves the pad or do you use this data to better yourself next time?

Not too surprising that a SCADA guy is curious about what data is being recorded and why, is it? <grin>

Originally posted by scadaman29325 [/i
Your micro maxx launch pad!

I really feel that some of us out here look to some of you as mentors. And I'm very curious as to your launch pad in that pic.

Well, now that you brought it up, your weather station also.

Oh shoot, might as well let you know I'm curious about the "other" launch pad I see in some of your post, the one that looks like a wooden box with all kinds of measuring devices built into it.

But that micro maxx launch pad looks like it's built to be self propelled... What's up Micromister, can it really move on its own?

OH! OK scadaman:
Humm this will likely need to be a new thread....Actually a continuation of several old threads in the support and recovery sections. I'll start one there "What others want to know about my weird looking launchers & support eqipment."

NO the micro maxx pad isn't self-propelled.. tho now that you mention it, it sorta reminds me of a side wheel riverboat:) each of the 2" acrylic discs are bases for different body tube size micro launch towers. for either 3 or 4 fins models. I'll do a better job of discribing all its functions in the new thread over in the Support and Recovery Section.

Back