What a day we had today!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelltym88

Reaction score
Well everyone, today was the day. All my clones and my PD upscale were scheduled to fly. We got up at about 3:30 this am( on the west coast) and headed out to the desert. We got there about 6 am. It was a perfect day, clear and no wind. I first launched my Astrocam just to kind of test the waters, flew it on a C6-7. Flight and recovery were successful. Next was my Sky-Hi clone from Rocketpad kits. Again another perfect flight and recovery.

I don't have pictures of every launch, but I do have some, so bear with me. As to the order from here on out, I'm not sure, but I'm going by the pictures now. First shot is the Maniac on a E15-8, yes an E15-8. The last on I had CATO'd, but I had to try again.
Got right as it ignited.

Next up is my sons Renegade. He was a little worried, but it was a great flight. The pods broke on the booster upon hitting the ground, but apperently that seems to be a universal problem.

The next 2 pictures are of the Photon Disruptor, and the PD II. I didn't get any flight shots, but they still looked great on the pad. Both were succesful flight and recovery.

In amongst all the flights I did manage to catch, we launched the Goblin, the Delta Star, the Silver Comet, my Bullet( Fatboy 3D cluster, now retired). The next picture is of the Vindicator. Beautiful flight, only used a B6-4(first flight), the chute took it's time opening but made a spectaculer entrance as it was coming down.

I also discovered my new favorite engine: the EconoJet F21-4. Man do those puppies scream off the pad in an instant. We had alot of fun with those today. The first one we used in my Apogee Aspire. I blinked and it was gone. I used another on in my BBZ upscale. Out of site. It was awesome!!! The next picture if my sons Shrox Navajo. He's flying it on an E9-6(he'd already flown it on a D12-7). He was abit worried, but the flight was great. Well, we had some more F21-4's and he loaded one up in that and let 'er rip. Screamin!!!! All flights mentioned above were all successful.

Let's see, next up is the Deuces Wild. Only one motor lit, but I got a great shot of it headin' off to the side.

I had an 18mm reload ready to go so I put it in my Custom Dynamic Carrier. I figured what the heck. The next picture is of it just begining to smoke on the pad.

This next shot you can can only see the bottom of it, but if you look closely you can see the blue tape holding in my reload. It was pretty smokey, I think it was an AT E15-8 Black Jack. Another great flight.

The next 2 pictures are of a drag race by one of the other guys that was there today. It is a Cato vs. an Executioner. The first picture is of them just smoking....

Well now comes what you've all been waiting for. The Upscale Disruptor. I used a G64-4 reload. Here's the first picture.

And the second. Sweeeeeeettttt!!!. Man that sucker was gone. Must of done close to 1500'. It took a long while for the "laundry" to come out. In fact I was running after it and at about 200' from the ground it opened up. A real crowd pleaser.

Oh yeah, we also got up my Interceptor G on a Dark Star G62-4. Very nice. And a Commanche 3. All 3 stages fired, but I lost the 2nd booster. :( Oh well. We had a really awesome day. Only one mishap. I attemted to launch my PD upscale again.

Don't let the picture fool ya. About 30' up the ejection charge fired, kicked the rocket over and started flying in circles, then the RMS casing shot out the back and hit the ground, started spinning like one of those twirlly fireworks, paused then took off again and landed in the back of someones car. Fortunately, no one was hurt and there was very minimal damage done. It was scary, but after all was said and done kind of exciting. It was my fault because after analyzing what happened, I realized that I loaded the delay charge the wrong way. I feel really bad and am thankful no one was hurt, and I learned a very valuable lesson as well. My freind video taped alot of the flights as well and as soon as I get those on my computer, I'll share. Hope you enjoyed a recount of the days events.

Wow!! Those are some great shots!! (And some great rockets!!)

It looks like you had a great launch day!!

Phred

Wow, what a great day of flying!

Beautiful rockets and pics. Thanks for sharing.

Not only were the pictures great! I like where you have to launch! Here on the east cost, we dont't have that nice flat land. I have two spots but man thats GREAT!
Aron

For some of us it's a 2 hour drive to get to that launch site. The rest of the time we have another launch site that is not as large, but able to accommodate up to a single G motor per the NAR MRSC. It is at the edge of a regional park behind a flood control dam. Photos of both of these sites are in the photo gallery page of the jimz website. Scroll down the list of photos and there are a bunch at the lower portion of the list.

https://www.dars.org/jimz/gallery.htm

Originally posted by Aron Sanford
Not only were the pictures great! I like where you have to launch! Here on the east cost, we dont't have that nice flat land. I have two spots but man thats GREAT!
Aron

Back