What a Cluster!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LOC

TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm curious to hear everyones prefferance on cluster configurations! Mainly in 5.5 and 7.5" kits. Personally, I was always a fan of a larger central with smaller outboards but still maximizing total diameter...

My Mini-Magg (Maggma-lava themed) has a 38 central and 2 29's outboard. 2 centering rings rotate to seal off the outboards when not used. Stickershock has one with 8 29's surrounding a 54 hole. I would guess a ton of nose weight too!

Last edited:
My Motoreater design has 8 mounts around a larger center. 5.54 airframe, 54 and 29s, 7.5 airframe I managed to get 38s around a 98.Business End Large.JPG

I'd love to get the Ultimate Max back in circulation . Slightly taller then the magnum , but with 7 38 mm mounts . I would also request a 5.5 to 4 inch mini gun ( downscale top gun ) as the short 4 inch stock loc cone is a perfect match.

Eric

7.5": 98mm with outer 38's.
5.5": Toss up between 54 core and outer 29's, and/or 38 core and outer 38's. I have both, current preference is the multi 38's, as there's so many options today.

Working on a aluminium version . But here is a prototype I made to see if it can be done.

98 to 4 38's

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1481499162.457050.jpg

I'm loving my King Viper III build, but even configurations tend to provide more airstart flexibility.

KV3 is such a classic - the first big cluster I ever saw was flown by a fellow DART member nearly 30 years ago on 3xJ's at Lucerne. At the time it was a humongous flight (a pre-launch photo is on the DART Facebook page). I've been sort of itching to re-create that flight on a trio of K skidmarks at some ROC event.

KV3 is such a classic - the first big cluster I ever saw was flown by a fellow DART member nearly 30 years ago on 3xJ's at Lucerne. At the time it was a humongous flight (a pre-launch photo is on the DART Facebook page). I've been sort of itching to re-create that flight on a trio of K skidmarks at some ROC event.
Skidmarks? magic word! You are my new cluster hero!

Skidmarks? magic word! You are my new cluster hero!

Hah, you know full well that about half of what I fly is sparky! But I've never done a Skid cluster...seems like its time may be coming.

Thanks for popping up. How about A King Viper 4? Barry should have The Ultimate Maxx on the Laser file as made a number of them for us. As you go through the files there is many cool clusters that Barry brought back to life for us. I am very happy that LOC is in good hands.

I've always liked clusters. So many different combo's to put together. We'll have some fun things for everyone once the shop is finished, set-up and running smoothly! We had a guy with TWA about 20 years back that had 9 38's in a 7.5" I believe. When the J-350 came out he kicked the crap out of it. Always fun to watch!

Here's my biggest Motoreater - 98 with 8 54s. This flight in 1997 was a 98/10240 and 8 38/720s all research.
Motoreater a.JPG

on a smaller scale, the THOY nighthawk was an awesome rocket I used to have, so much so I scratch built one. 7-29 mm motors in a 4" rocket..........a single H238, a pair of G 80's with a central H238, 4-F50,s, and my favorite- 3 G125's and 4 G25's.
maybe ya's could look into a 4" cluster kit?
how many 38's would fit into a 5.5"? :) 7-38's would be awesome!! the airstart possibilities...............

And then there's this:
Also only three inches, and only four motors this time, but still..............

Swarmprince pics.jpg swarmprince cato two.jpg DFP_7478.jpg

ssix

I've always liked clusters. So many different combo's to put together. We'll have some fun things for everyone once the shop is finished, set-up and running smoothly! We had a guy with TWA about 20 years back that had 9 38's in a 7.5" I believe. When the J-350 came out he kicked the crap out of it. Always fun to watch!

Are you thinking of Dave Zupan and his Seven Toe Dog?

Here's a great shot of a Ultimate Max taking off on 6 kosdon 38mm J1500's. If you look about 8 feet under the rocket , you will see the 7th motor that slid out due to the acceleration forces .

Eric

images.jpg

Here's a great shot of a Ultimate Max taking off on 6 kosdon 38mm J1500's. If you look about 8 feet under the rocket , you will see the 7th motor that slid out due to the acceleration forces .

Eric

WOW! Did it ignite? Or was it just not lit fast enough?

Ultimates are great. I'd love to build a Max!
View attachment 307232
-Ken

Next on my build table :)

hywlYG7l.jpg

Back