What 54mm case should I get?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Handeman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm considering buying my first 54mm motor and am undecided about which to get. I'm asking for your opinions. I really want to know the "why" you would recommend a certain motor case.

Here are some of my criteria to keep in mind when you make your recommendations. In no particular order:
  1. cost, I'm tight and can squeeze a nickel till the buffalo s***s
  2. long term cost, lowest price case isn't always the cheapest
  3. skidmarks and sparkies, don't care.
  4. ease of assembly, don't care
  5. ease of cleaning, 3 out of 10
  6. savings when getting additional size cases, 6 out of 10
  7. availability of reloads, case is an expensive paper weight without reloads
  8. use for EX, not sure, maybe, probably, ??? wait til 98mm?

As for the reload availability, I know we can order online now with only the hazmat fee extra, but because of that, and the fact most online vendors like Performance Hobbies, Wildman and Hanger 11 sell the HPR reloads at retail, it's actually cheaper to buy them from the local onsite vendors in most cases. I don't see myself ordering a $1000 worth of reloads to save on hazmat fees.

I attached a spreadsheet with some cost data, have at it.

View attachment 54mm motor costs.xls

Last edited:
For EX, snap ring cases are by far the easiest as all you need is a liner, casting tube, propellant and a couple O-rings. Aerotech can be done but you have to buy the nozzles or make a carrier for a graphite insert. There are a lot more inert parts you need. I haven't figured a practical way of using Pro-series hardware for EX without a good machine shop to make the delay/ejection and nozzle carriers.
If you are buying from on-site vendors, get what their primary product line is. I have mostly Aerotech (the only thing available for years), some AMW, CTI, Gorilla, and even a set of Ellis 38mm.

The MSRP of the Pro54 rear closure is $39.95, not $62.
Jeroen.
Where is the $39.95 coming from? The CTI site doesn't list any MSRP. I checked all the sites of the US vendors listed on the CTI site and they all listed the rear closure as $61.55, except Giant Leap, they had a List Price of $61.55 and their online price at $42.95.

For EX, snap ring cases are by far the easiest as all you need is a liner, casting tube, propellant and a couple O-rings. Aerotech can be done but you have to buy the nozzles or make a carrier for a graphite insert. There are a lot more inert parts you need. I haven't figured a practical way of using Pro-series hardware for EX without a good machine shop to make the delay/ejection and nozzle carriers.
If you are buying from on-site vendors, get what their primary product line is. I have mostly Aerotech (the only thing available for years), some AMW, CTI, Gorilla, and even a set of Ellis 38mm.

I'm not sure about doing the EX yet. Right now I can't afford the cost of equipment to get started. The snap ring cases are definately the way to go for EX. The question is, which ones. There's Loki, AMW, and Gorilla. What's the difference between them? Do they all use the same size liners, grains, and nozzles? Is there any place to get the dimensions for the cases?

Where is the $39.95 coming from? The CTI site doesn't list any MSRP. I checked all the sites of the US vendors listed on the CTI site and they all listed the rear closure as $61.55, except Giant Leap, they had a List Price of $61.55 and their online price at $42.95.
About 3 months ago we reduced the MSRP of the threaded closure (after consultation with the dealers). Several web sites are not updated yet. Just call, or talk to them at a launch.

We are working on a product catalog. Attached is the relevant overview page for Pro54 (draft). This page has the MSRP of the hardware, in US$.
[edit: I just noticed that the 5G and 6G WT motors were in the wrong columns. That will be fixed.]

Jeroen

View attachment CTI_Catalog_Pro54_Overview.pdf

Last edited:
About 3 months ago we reduced the MSRP of the threaded closure (after consultation with the dealers). Several web sites are not updated yet. Just call, or talk to them at a launch.

We are working on a product catalog. Attached is the relevant overview page for Pro54 (draft). This page has the MSRP of the hardware, in US$.
[edit: I just noticed that the 5G and 6G casings were in the wrong columns. That will be fixed.]

Jeroen

That's great! Hope the vendors catch up soon.

Even though Im strictly research, I had a chance to look at the ProX stuff, Tim Lehr had at Red Glare. IF, I was still doing commercial, thats would Id try. Top notch work. I was told most vendors are supplying the carrier at no cost. I dont know if 54 had a delay fwd closure. The reloads come w/parts and a disposable phenolic nozzle. From my understanding this doesnt increase the price of a reload much.
No need to clean a dirty graphite nozzle. Also, its a snap ring case for EX later on, youll need a graphite nozzle.

Good luck

Buy what your dealers carry, best bet.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd buy nothing but LOKI. Great for certified reloads and great for EX. I wish all of my casings were LOKI.

I'm not sure about doing the EX yet. Right now I can't afford the cost of equipment to get started. The snap ring cases are definately the way to go for EX. The question is, which ones. There's Loki, AMW, and Gorilla. What's the difference between them? Do they all use the same size liners, grains, and nozzles? Is there any place to get the dimensions for the cases?
AMW and Gorilla are compatible except the Gorilla motors use a smaller nozzle throat for a given motor size (higher Kn). I'm not sure about Loki.

Back