What’s on your bench

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KILTED COWBOY

Reaction score
So if you are stuck at home what kits have you dusted off and started to build.
Just opened the box on the Estes Little Joe2 and the Protostar

Punisher 3 - Ready for external fillets and paint

Mach 1 Saberhawk - MM done, ready to secure it in the body and add the fins. Quick build using excess epoxy from the Punisher build.

Darkstar Jr - Nosecone coupler in place and added one of the Labrat sleds. Need to extend the 6 slots for the fins a touch and get on with the build.

BT 60 Black Hole - Needs paint, but ready to fly single deploy. I have a Quark ready to assemble for it and then it will be done.

A few more kits in the shed too. Next up is probably a Mach 1 Starlight. I'm going to build it around a Loki 38 480 case.

LOC 5.5 Patriot and Punisher 3. The Patriot is for a video review and the Punisher is just for me.

Last edited:
Where to start...

The active builds:

Madcow Lil Goblin (F/G w 38mm MMT) needs ballast in nosecone before I can button it up.
Madcow Formula 54 in progress...needs MMT and TTW fins epoxied and ballast.
Wildman Jart (original FG)...see Formula 54 above.
Madcow Frenzy (Original “paper” rocket)...needs fillets and much much more.
VanderBurn Cherokee-H...puzzling out the MMT external build process.
Estes Majestyk...motor mount needs epoxy, then toss parts in plastic bag and shake it...voila!
Estes Luna Bug...fins need to be glued on, paint, etc.

Mach1 Chimera 65 still in the box...and awaiting graphics option delivery.
Mach1 Red Shift 54 on order...

I appear to be really good about building motor mounts but finishing builds...not so much.

~sigh~

Punisher 3 - Ready for external fillets and paint

Mach 1 Saberhawk - MM done, ready to secure it in the body and add the fins. Quick build using excess epoxy from the Punisher build.

Darkstar Jr - Nosecone coupler in place and added one of the Labrat sleds. Need to extend the 6 slots for the fins a touch and get on with the build.

BT 60 Black Hole - Needs paint, but ready to fly single deploy. I have a Quark ready to assemble for it and then it will be done.

A few more kits in the shed too. Next up is probably a Mach 1 Starlight. I'm going to build it around a Loki 38 480 case.
Saberhawk, check.
BT60 Black Hole, check.
Darkstar JR, check.
You have impeccable taste in rockets, my good man:p

GoDevil 54, designing machined MD retainer and avbay parts. K300 here we come!
A bunch of eggtimer Quantums
Acorn CNC controller
Repair a bunch of flight-worn rockets

Just finished my second 7276 Checkmate (https://estesrockets.com/product/007276-checkmate/) The first one got to 53 flights before a sustainer ignition failure over a hard surface did it in. I also have a Twin Factor in primer that it may be warm enough to put color on tomorrow.

I also have just opened and started on a vintage Silver Comet.

After that will be probably be one of the models that arrived in the AC Supply order today (Sidekick or Orange Bullet or Lunar Scout).

Just finishing decals on the USS Atlantis clone from Morerockets.com. Beginning the Alien Invader classic from Estes.

Planning a 2x-ish upscale of the Alien Invader.

I am most of the way through an Aerotech ARCAS HV build... getting extremely close to being ready for paint. I also have an Estes AGM 12-D Bullpup that is finally ready to paint... hopefully tomorrow! I also bought 4 new kits to build after these two are out of the way.

A whole bunch of sanding, sealing and painting of stalled projects!o_O

Semroc 1/10 scale WAC corporal - in primer awaiting color. I'm going to airbrush it with Vallejo model acrylics.

Estes Mini Bertha - Fins sealed, need sanding and primer. It's also getting some retro-future type details.

Estes Cherokee E - Sanded and ready for primer.

Estes Star Orbiter - in primer awaiting a final light sanding, then a rather complex airbrush job I have been dreaming up for a while now. By way of a hint, it will be a Lone Star Orbiter by the time I'm done...;)

Estes Sterling Silver - Well, whatever the HL version is called, don't remember off hand. Awaiting primer and color.

Estes Saros clone - A bit of filling to do, then primer. It'll be painted up to match the original.

Estes Nike Smoke - Smaller version, modified with built up fins and a lot of scale details to represent the OD green round seen in that old video. Just need to get the gold-ish/copper-ish/bronze-ish paint on the fin can.

Scratch sport-scale-ish Nike Zeus A - Resurrected project from over 20 years ago! 24mm booster gap staging to an 18mm sustainer with rear eject parachute. Needs sealing, priming, painting and an RSO that is understanding, curious, apathetic, or who can be bribed. It SHOULD work...

All that in addition to my 4" Level 2 bird (also 20 years old), a 4" LOC Nike X with mods and a LOC Vulcanite in varying stages of completion.

Man, I could sef-isolate for six months and still have stuff to do!

Working my way through some Estes kits for now with my son. Then it's on to either a Mach 1 BT60 Daedalus or building the crayon rocket I'd like to use for an L1 cert.
MicrosoftTeams-image (5).jpg

Is this going to be a offered kit

No kit for this one. The print time for a set of intakes and exhaust alone is almost 60 hours. The build was quite a challenge and a lot of fun. I built it to add to my fleet. PM me if you want to see some build pics or have questions. :)

Working my way through some Estes kits for now with my son. Then it's on to either a Mach 1 BT60 Daedalus or building the crayon rocket I'd like to use for an L1 cert.
View attachment 410830

Oh wow, I wasn't aware the Sidekick was balsa/cardboard/fiber. I thought it had some plastic components in there somewhere (beyond the noses of course)

Oh wow, I wasn't aware the Sidekick was balsa/cardboard/fiber. I thought it had some plastic components in there somewhere (beyond the noses of course)

I had the same impression, I'm not sure why. Maybe it was next to the E2X rockets in an ad, or something. This makes it more appealing.

Estes Sterling Silver - Well, whatever the HL version is called, don't remember off hand. Awaiting primer and color.

That rocket looks like it could really disappear on 2 18mm C motors. You're going to have a pile of rockets to launch at this rate!

Back