Whaddya use for a 1/2" launch rod??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwingWing

Reaction score
I'm looking for suggestions for material for a 1/2" launch rod. Anything available at the local Home supply? I don't really want to go to a steel supply house. I don't need stainless.

Thanx

I don't know, my suggestion would be a rail conversion if you need a 1/2 rod :) Less drag and you don't have a launch lug sticking out there.

:)

Edward

Check your local home improvement store (Home Depot, Lowes, etc) in the same section as the all-thread. They usually carry an assortment of 'round rod' that is smooth, untempered steel. It comes in like 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 inch diameters, and lengths like 3-4-5 feet. Probably $5 to 10 in that size range, although I haven't really paid attention because I'm usually looking at the smaller stuff.

Originally posted by edwardw
I don't know, my suggestion would be a rail conversion if you need a 1/2 rod :) Less drag and you don't have a launch lug sticking out there.

:)

Edward
Agreed, but the design has 1/2" LL built into it:)

Originally posted by powderburner
Check your local home improvement store (Home Depot, Lowes, etc) in the same section as the all-thread. They usually carry an assortment of 'round rod' that is smooth, untempered steel. It comes in like 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 inch diameters, and lengths like 3-4-5 feet. Probably $5 to 10 in that size range, although I haven't really paid attention because I'm usually looking at the smaller stuff.
Thanks, I guess I'll have to haul the calipers into the local HD. I was kinda thinking about tube, but nothing has a 1/2" nominal O.D. that I can think of. I noticed copper grounding rod is close to 1/2", but soft and HEAVY:rolleyes:

I wouldn't go with copper grounding rod - to soft....Our local steel supplier usually has 1/2 soft steel.....hmmmm....What about 1/4 galvanized pipe? I think that is close to 1/2" I know 1/2 steel is about 21 mm OD...

You'd have to sand the galvanized pipe to smooth it.

A hardwood dowel? perhaps? :D

McMaster-Carr does indeed look like they have lots of cool 'stuff' for sale, but for those of us who don't have a M-C warehouse close, the shipping costs look pretty high.

SwingWing, if nothing else works, maybe you can find someone at a local mechanical/metal shop with round steel stock? Or even 5/16 square stock would fit inside your 1/2 LL

I don't have a warehouse close, have everthing I order shipped, Most come UPS, at a very reasonable cost. If you don't want to pay shipping try a local Steel Supply, just make sure you ask for 304 or 316 alloy stainless rod, some carry an 18/8 (203ez)alloy that isn't as stiff or as corrosion resistant. 316 is best but also most expensive. unless you are really careless with you stainless steel Launch rods they should be the last Rod(s) you'll ever have to buy.
I use Stainless or Carbon fibre rods for all size models. Carbon Fibre rod in .050" and 1/8", Stainless in .049"dia for micro's 1/8", 3/16" 1/4", 5/16" 3/8" and 1/2"diameters for standard and LMR rockets. Ya just can't beat them for durability, strength and easy of clean-up.

Originally posted by Micromister
If you don't want to pay shipping try a local Steel Supply, just make sure you ask for 304 or 316 alloy stainless rod, some carry an 18/8 (203ez)alloy that isn't as stiff or as corrosion resistant. 316 is best but also most expensive.

Yeah, I'll have to stop by "Discount Johnnies". Every time I go there it takes 2 hours for even the simpilest things.:mad:
IIRC 18/8 SST is a general designation that covers all of the 300 series alloys and most of the 200 series alloys. It just means 18% chromium and 8% nickel. Most stainless steel silverware is stamped 18/8 on the back.

1/2 launch rod and larger diameters can be made from electrical metallic tubing, (EMT) or Stainless steel welded or seamless tubing. EMT is cheaper but the diameters available do not go down to 1/2 inch OD. Both kinds of straight length tubing are available from McMaster Carr: https://www.mcmaster.com.

6ft of 1/2 stainless steel welded tubing with and outside diameter tolerance of 0.01" typically costs around $11

EMT is much cheaper (about $2.5 for 10ft length of 1/2") but the 1/2" stuff is more like 3/4" diameter. There is also a seamless carbon steel tubing that is not galvanized and has a 0.004" tolerance on the OD. I am sure this would eventually rust or corrode so the stainless steel might be worth the extra money.

For added rigidity fill the tube up with concrete!

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

Back