Wet rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronz Rocketz

NAR# 109557, Level 1
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I landed my rocket in the canal yesterday. I tried searching wet rocket but only got back wet sanding. I don't think I can remove the engine without pulling out the mount. It's one of my earlier rockets so replacing the mount is not a terrible idea. Any suggestions?

Sorry, I meant to post this in Recovery.

Last edited:
I had that happen twice. First time was into a puddle and the motor swells like mad...best thing is to QUICKLY get it out...instantly if you can. Once it swells, you should do everything to still get it out quick...pliers, screwdriver to break the nozzle and scoop it out, etc. Then dry the inside as much as you can and stick in a dry spent motor casing otherwise the mmt may shrink. Same with the rest of the rocket, esp the top of the bt where the nose goes in...that's gonna shrink and may make it too tight for the nosecone.

Second time was into a river. TLP Maverick and still trying to get the nose loose enough without ripping the bt.

I still wanted to try the other rockets so it sat in the canal for about an hour. I can't leave the rockets unattended because the local kids will take off with them. I already lost one that way, albeit a Hi-flier (SM).

If there is a next time, hopefully not, but you can drill out the motor using larger bits a s you go. When it gets thin enough, the motor either spins itself out or you can now just peel the rest of the paper case out. You do not need to ask how I know :(

If there is a next time, hopefully not, but you can drill out the motor using larger bits a s you go. When it gets thin enough, the motor either spins itself out or you can now just peel the rest of the paper case out. You do not need to ask how I know :(
Ah, I think I did the same once too! Yeah, not pretty.

1) Normally, I'd say "Welcome to the Goldfish Club!!!" but it looks like your rocket is pretty well munched. Sorry about that.
2) Once the motor swells, there's one thing to do. Wait. Let the rocket dry out. Then when everything has stabilized again, chip the nozzle out carefully, and peel the motor out from the inside, layer by layer. It will eventually be thin enough for you to collapse the motor in on itself, and you can then remove it. If necessary, sand the inside of the motor tube.

I once put an old FSI Black Brant into Mission Bay here, and it was in salt water for 15 minutes until a kindly sailboarder fetched it back. I just let it dry out and peeled out the expended motor by unwinding it. It went on to resume flying until it was finally destroyed by a cato. Having epoxy glue and sealed/painted fins were definitely in my favor.

Didn’t work but saved the retainer.

Sorry this happened, but the damage is somewhat limited.
Assuming the rest of the airframe dries straight and true, putting together another motor mount and gluing it into the old rocket should be fairly straight forward.

She will fly again!

Sorry this happened, but the damage is somewhat limited.
Assuming the rest of the airframe dries straight and true, putting together another motor mount and gluing it into the old rocket should be fairly straight forward.

She will fly again!
Yes, with a crap load of epoxy this time. It will be bullet proof!

I found a new park today with twice the space and no canal.

Back