WestWayneRockets?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkmilion

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has the low down on these guys. I just spotted them on ebay.
It's seems like everytime I turn around there's a new rocketry company.
I CAN ONLY SPREAD MY WALLET SO THIN!!! LOL
Well anyways it's good to see that rocketry has plenty of variety to offer us.

You must be a hard core BAR to bid on an Astron Birdie clone. That was the first rocket I ever owned! Now for $2.00 I can have another,

You must be a hard core BAR to bid on an Astron Birdie clone.

Astron Birdie.........Hmmmm........ That was a low flyer for sure ;)

I still have my old one. They were made to fly on the "S" motors that are no longer produced. Are the clones designed to use 13mm motors instead?

I dunno, the Birdie, like the Streak, used the "featherweight" recovery system that is now frowned upon.

(that is, blow the motor out of the tail of the rocket and let it fall free to the ground. These days it isn't considered too cool to have still-smoldering loose motors ejected from rockets.)

I suppose you could just attach the motor mount with a Kevlar string or something and make it a variation of "tail-blow" recovery.

I'm not BAR persay. I just really like something different. I also like vintage kits. In this case it happens to be cloned. It's all the same though usually.

Estes still has two rockets that kick the engine out. The QUARK & 220 SWIFT, both use tumble recovery. I see no problem unless you launch on dry hay!
Aron

I don't have a problem with it as long as the motors fly the rocket up.
Not too long ago I was launching a Rocket Pad: Astron Spaceman clone. I had gotten in about 4 launches in on some
C6-7's. The fifth and final launch made a turn for the worst. For some, to this day, unknown reason it few off the pad at about 15' and did a complete 90. I was like, "Oh *$%^ there goes one of my favorite rockets!". So I decided to pack up my stuff and get ready for the search. As I was walking over towards it I noticed a few pieces here and there. Suddenly in the distance there was smoke, a lot of smoke! I ran over and saw a small grass fire; then proceded to stomp it out.
After the episode I searched for about 20mins for the motor with no luck. I conclude that it had hit the ground and upon ejection set the blaze.
I must admit I am a bit embrassed to tell this story. I've always thought of my self as a safe and responsible rocketeer. At least I get some closure by telling you guys.

Thanks

Ed

Hi!
The C6-7 is a bit much for the Spaceman. The original never took more than a "B" motor! Its not recommened. the kit probley went wild because of a part may have been ready to break from the stress of the more powerful C6-7. Best next time to check after a few flights if every thing is still tight & no small cracks.
Happy flying
Hobbyman for Rocketpad Kits
[email protected]

Originally posted by JStarStar
I dunno, the Birdie, like the Streak, used the "featherweight" recovery system that is now frowned upon.

(that is, blow the motor out of the tail of the rocket and let it fall free to the ground. These days it isn't considered too cool to have still-smoldering loose motors ejected from rockets.)

I suppose you could just attach the motor mount with a Kevlar string or something and make it a variation of "tail-blow" recovery.

The Quest HL-10 lifting body uses a piece of kevlar thread that you tape to the engine, and is hooked to a short streamer. Barely making it past the rules, IMO. Not an elegant solution.

I loved my old Birdie despite the recovery "system". Speaking of non-elegant and probably non-legal, I used a hack saw to create my own 'shorty' motors from 1/2 A's.

3, 2, 1, launch, up it goes fffffzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZPOP! and off it'd go at some angle, the engine flying opposite.

I apollogize if I some how discreded your kits. It's just that I had thrown away the packaging on acident so I went to EMRR to get the suggested motor for the kit. I found one for the Astron Spaceman and one for the Spaceman. Since the Spaceman listed C6-7 I figured why not. That and C6-7's are the only motors I had at the time.
I take full resposibility for my actions, but as for instability caused by stress cracks or minute damage. Visually it seemed fine, but under the surface I obviously couldn't tell you.
As for your kits: they're wonder, I highly have enjoyed them, and plan on buying more.

Thanks,
\
Ed

No Problem! Yes, the original did list a C6-7, but after testing we thought for the life of the kit, that was pushing it. You would need to use a thicker balsa & that may be too much for tumble recovery; but we are going to make a test model up with 3/32" instead of the 1/16" balsa & see what happens.

Sorry, I was not clear in my post. No problem, no discredit taken! Thanks for enjoying the kit, it is a fun one!:) :)

Could you use one of the new "plugged" A10-PT motors
in the birdie? It would not add much weight, and it does have that nice rubber nose cone?

Goose

Hello to all at the Rocketry Forum. Glad to see some discussion on our birdie kit. It is true they are available on Ebay. Right now we only have one distributer for our kits its Uncle Mikes Rocket Shack. They maintain an Ebay store at:

Uncle Mikes Rocket Shack

They also carry other rocketry kits and items. Hes one of the lower priced dealers on Ebay.

The Birdies are available in red or blue, I think the price is 4.75 +S/H.

Any questions on the Birdie please feel free to Email us at

West Wayne Rockets

Thanks for the positive feedback. We are currently testing out a 24mm Birdie at this time, it may be released in kit form as soon as we can work out the bugs.

P.S For the person who asked the Birdie is a 13mm rocket, and you can use a plugged motor on it. When we kit out the next batch of Birdies we are going to add the A-10PT to the motor list. The little weight the expended engine adds is nominal to overall weight of the tumble recovery.

Welcome aboard!

Please make sure you post in the vendor colum when the 24mm Birdie becomes available. Same for the 29, 38, 54...

This oddroc ought to make a real neat review on EMRR.

Well I can give you the low down on the current tests with the 24mm, So far the engines have been melting the bottoms of the larger shuttlecocks LOL!. We are in the process of working with our plastics guy to work on heat resistance without getting a NASA like price tag on the kits.

WWR

Back