West System six10

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyo17

Reaction score
Any thoughts on this for fillets? Staying in place would be a good thing.

Pat

It looks like it should work great in theory.
Those caulking tubes are only about a third to a half full, so it is an expensive option.
That being said I have a tube sitting in front of me that I plan on using for that exact purpose when the weather warms up a bit (states will cure in temperatures as low as 50° F and my workshop is below that).
It has a working time of 42 minutes and solidifies 5-6 hours (at 72° F).
If anyone has already tried this I would love to hear some feedback.

Looking at the sloppiness of West System 105 and 205 with 406 silica. When it cures it cures but waiting along with the dripping and cleaning up is getting to be a pain.

Looking at the sloppiness of West System 105 and 205 with 406 silica. When it cures it cures but waiting along with the dripping and cleaning up is getting to be a pain.

If it's dripping you're not using enough silica. Add silica into the resin and hardener until each is the thickness you want, typically like ketchup, mayonnaise, or peanut butter. Then, mix the two together and stir well, but do not whip. You don't want to entrain air.

When I use thickened epoxy I paint the area with unthickened epoxy first, using a flux brush. Then I mix the thickened epoxy and apply it. If I want to form it I try for creamy peanut butter consistency. That will withstand being inverted while curing. Ketchup consistency will sag a little but it self levels with just a bit of vibration. Mayo is in between.

I have used the 406 filler with West/Aeropoxy laminating systems, then I switched to milled glass fibers from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty as it is cheaper and easier to use. I have been using RocketPoxy on a 5-inch MadCow Black Brant II, it tends to ooze out of place for an hour or so. It needs to sit awhile before using for a fillet. It is hard to beat Proline 4500 for pretty fillets.

Latest posts

Back