Went Shopping Today

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

o1d_dude

'I battle gravity'
Reaction score
Literally, I WENT out shopping today.

Yesterday there was a huge demonstration at the state capital with flag-waving Americans and their families showed up to demand an end to the lockdown. I was unaware of the demonstration but figured I could do my part by visiting Lowe’s and a local natural grocery store.

First thing that surprised me was the amount of traffic on the streets for a Sunday afternoon. Second thing was that very few people were wearing masks. Lowe‘s was close to but a bit less than 50-50 masked but the grocery store was mostly masked. Lowe’s employees were not masked except for one young man I saw. The shoppers there had no clue as to the definition of Social Distancing. The grocery store staff were all masked and they were sanitizing the shopping carts and handbaskets. No shortages of product to be seen. And shoppers kept their distance.

Target had a short social distancing line outside the store for those waiting to enter. That was the only business I saw that had a waiting line. People were walking in and out of the grocery stores and Sam’s Club.

Full disclosure: I wore a mask. It was stylish with a deep space astronomy theme but it was also hot and a double layer of cotton cloth was less easy to breathe through than you might think.

5F68D0C9-DD81-436F-B8AE-70E0D177FD9E.jpeg
Tomorrow I’m going to Walmart, Sam’s Club, and Costco.

Zeus-cat

Reaction score
I guess having been in the military I have the protect the group mentality. I wear a mask when I go into a store not because it helps me, but it helps other people. My big problem is that it fogs up my glasses so I have to take my glasses off. It is a little warm and stuffy, but not a major problem.

NateB

Reaction score
They brought us back to the main hospital today and gave us cloth masks. They are warm, but much more comfortable than wearing an N95 all day. I agree, it isn't about my needs or my comfort. I'll play along to protect my patients and the public. My glasses also fog up, I might start wearing contacts more so I can still see.

Back_at_it

Reaction score
Chicago area. We also went to Lowes yesterday along with a couple of other stores. All of the employees we saw were wearing masks but ti was about 50/50 on customer even through there was a sign posted at the door that masks are required. Social distancing was non-existent. The place was crowded and people were right on top of each other.

Same store at the grocery store. Customers were about 50/50 on masks. Not as crowded but you couldn't stay 6 ft from someone for more than a few seconds if you tried.

Marc_G

Reaction score
I've learned that a polite but sharp "Excuse me! six feet please!" Gets the point across. I've used it multiple times and everyone reacts well. I keep my voice tone friendly but non-nonsense.