Well This Just Sucks...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My computer was purchased with MS8 on it. I hated the OS, so I updated to MS10 asap.

The computer was running just fine, but a couple of days ago they updated the OS. Things seemed to be ok, but today it looks like they installed another update and now it's gone to HELL.
location is not available
systemprofile\Desktop is unavailable

this only jjustppopped up

I think I'm Screwed

I believe that OS does all sorts of auto updates whether you want them or not. A lot of internet discussion of avoiding being force fed it.

I can only offer thoughts and prayers, as I know nothing about computers.
All I know is that I am fairly competent in Windows 7, and it does everything I need it to do.
I'll only upgrade if "Windows 11" is just Windows 7. This is the first computer I've had running so smoothly for so long.

IHATETHIS
Ther computer takes forever to respond, and rebooting is so F'n slow.

Not sure if this helps as it doesn't solve your problem directly but, now might be a good time to try a Linux distro such as Ubuntu. No forced updates, no BS.

If you're able to downgrade back to 8, I highly recommend doing that and installing Classic Shell. It'll make your computer feel just like W7. I've had touchpad driver issues since finally upgrading to W10. What a PITA.

My son had to downgrade because this touch screen stopped working.

Best to never watch a Win10 upgrade. I hold mine until a night I'm feeling like juggling daggers or walking across hot coals and instead I say yes to the upgrade--then immediately take two sleeping pills with a glass of wine. By morning everything is fine and dandy :).

we couldn't complete the updates
Undoing changes
Don't turn off your computer

Is this the upgrade to the "anniversary" version? If so, I think you can use system restore to restore it to the original version of Win 10.

Is this the upgrade to the "anniversary" version? If so, I think you can use system restore to restore it to the original version of Win 10.

Yes.

I'm still waiting for it to reboot. got the same message (Couldn't complete) a few seconds ago.

on the plus side...

my laundry is now done, and the apartment is picked up.

trash is out... stuck in a loop of "Couldn't complete" and don't turn off your computer.

Pretty sure you mean WIN8 and WIN10 as Windows OS. Still rocking XP and WIN7 here. Linux for testing. I'll never have a Microsoft OS later than stable 7. Along with Google and Facebook therein lies the Evil Empire, the Neo Axis of Evil. You think [with tech and privacy/control of your life] things are bad now? The sneakernet is already making a comeback for a reason.

Is this a lap top or a tower?

Irrelevant. Either could be an SSD or platter drive for storage, which is also irrelevant. The easiest way to render a late model, bloated retail machine usable is to wipe the drive and install a fresh, stock OS, preferably Win7 or earlier, depending on the type of software you run and it's necessary system requirements.

I feel sorry for most owners of Win8 and later. Win10? What a joke.

MacOS 7 or GS/OS. you could literally shoot the case and it'd still run.

Back