Well This Just Sucks...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stop buying Seagates.

And Maxtor while you are at it. We had a documented batch of them that went south to the tune of close to 20%.

I've been at this 25 years and, while most of the issues I have see are software related, I've seen every subsystem except the chassis fail on PCs at varying rates.

And Maxtor while you are at it. We had a documented batch of them that went south to the tune of close to 20%.

I've been at this 25 years and, while most of the issues I have see are software related, I've seen every subsystem except the chassis fail on PCs at varying rates.

I've seen cases fail, but that was due to high speed road impact....

Ok... I managed to take my primary computer to the ASUS guys... The got me to the help desk. Unfortunately, the system couldn't be restored. However they were able to boot off of an external drive, and save my files (or at least the ones I remember), and now I've got a machine that is updated to Windows 10 with very little else on it. This is going to be fun (NOT).

When I get home, I'll see if I can network the primary and backup, and get more of the files I've lost back.

Just wondering if you have delt with in any CybertronPC units?

Al and I are both IT Pros, and this is a new one on me as well. That said, I just looked to see and they are clone pc builder. The product is likely to be very dependent upon the components they use to build the system. Do they use high quality power supplies and system boards. Good quality fans versus the cheapest stuff they can find. I have no knowledge of them directly, but do your homework on what components (make and model) are in the system.

I feel sorry for most owners of Win8 and later. Win10? What a joke.
I heard a funny zinger at work and took it serious....
"I bought a machine with Win 8....I just upgraded it to Win7!!!"

I had a great experience on a fast machine I built for my home office, big tower, lots of ram, 1TB drives, etc. I downloaded the free Win10 upgrade, worked great, very little to tweak when it was done and is rock solid.
Others in my office had nightmares. I have Win 7 on my laptop, the wifes and 3 workstations in my office, I'm ok with it.
If you are running Win7 and the free Win Security Essentials antivirus, you get virus updates regulalry.
If you do a fresh install of Win7 today, it will tell you Win Sec Essentials is no longer available, only the new version that is designed for Win10 only.
MS gets you anyway they can.

I've managed to get MS Office, Java, and OR running again... iTunes is downloading now.

The Primary computer may have finally died today. While I was trying to send a resume to an English department in Nanjing, The computer froze, restarted, then booted to a blue screen telling me that it had no boot drive.
I took it back to the service department I took it to on Monday, and they were not able to get the computer to boot up either. If a replacement HD doesn't solve the problem, then the computer is dead. This really sucks for me, as the machine was only slightly more than a year old. This also means that all my unfinished OR files may have been lost.

KINGS SPEECH!!! KINGS SPEECH!!! KINGS SPEECH!!!!

The Backup computer is 7+ years, old, but is currently running. I have no idea for how long, as it spontaneously reboots itself at unusual times. Last time gave me an error message before booting up again fine. If this one goes down too, I'll have no access to the internet, except via WiFi with my phone (but no access to FB, or Google), nor my data files and music... The thought of that is not encouraging.

Yeah, I'm, less than impressed with Win 10 so far.. their crappy 'new OS releases' seem to be getting closer& closer... I remember 'Millennial' (or Millennium) that was short lived. There were some grumblings about Win 2000, but nothing really significant. Then Vista, then 8, now 10.. It also kinda feels like they're playing 'catch up', trying to emulate a certain "other" major computer maker.. With Win 8, they were trying to 'be the trend' for technology that so far, has somewhat failed to reach / get adopted by the masses (touchscreen / large format tablets (full PC tablets)..

And don't get me started with their licensing agreement, their uncontrollable 'updates' model, nor the peer to peer updating strategies..

d452df3df962b663802d6212c18bfaa0.jpg

First things first. It might be a hard drive in the main system, but it might also be another component. As I tell people frequently- a computer is transient, but data is important. In other words, if you have another computer you can get a device called a USB drive bridge, which will allow you to connect a drive to a system via USB. So, until you try that do not panic.

Next thing. External backup. I do not care if it is an external hard drive, burning data to DVDs, or saving to a cloud service- you must back up.

I am not sure what you can get done in China. I am not sure what Internet service quality is like. These things are pretty easy in the US.

The HD was

564680-3254-23.jpg

All the Data on it was

468168-lost.jpg

I now have a new HD in it, and thanks to my Mom, I also now have a backup drive. I had a backup drive in the US, but it wasn't ever able to connect up to this machine for some reason. So... All that research is

468168-lost.jpg

Now if you'll pardon me, I have a lot of four letter words to say in a very loud manner, and I can't share them on the forum without getting a time out.

FME

Wa it a standard hard drive or an ssd? I ask as there are data recovery services that might be able to help. Not cheap, but what is your data worth to you? If interested shoot me a pm, and I can refer you to a service or two.

I feel for you K'Tesh.
My laptop a few years ago burned up a drive.
Lost all the photos of my son's birth and everything up until his 8th Birthday.
Gone forever, never to return.
Along with many other files.
Since, I have bought an external drive.
But like you, since I got this new tower, it won't recognize it for some reason.
So, everything in the last 1.5 years isn't on it, which really scares me.
I need to work on that this weekend.
So sorry for your loss, I know how it feels.

I feel for you K'Tesh.
My laptop a few years ago burned up a drive.
Lost all the photos of my son's birth and everything up until his 8th Birthday.
Gone forever, never to return.
Along with many other files.
Since, I have bought an external drive.
But like you, since I got this new tower, it won't recognize it for some reason.
So, everything in the last 1.5 years isn't on it, which really scares me.
I need to work on that this weekend.
So sorry for your loss, I know how it feels.

What make and model of external hard drive? Formatted how.? NTFS, FAT32, Exfat, Apple Journaled? What operating system is your new machine, and what is was the old one? Is the device usb 2 or usb 3, and what port type are you pluging into?

Back