Well the 3G system is a go'in down!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksaves2

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Well shoot. Just got a notice from T-mobile/Sprint that the 3G cellphone system is going to be shut off in January and my beloved
Nexus 6p will be useless. I went into a local Verizon dealer today and she said it's going to be system wide.

Well I bought two 6p's used (cheap) online, got extra case parts, opened them up to do the battery replacement and only charge them to 80% capacity to stretch out the life of the newer batteries. I also rooted the phones and use a custom ROM (operating system). There is nothing illegal about using a custom ROM on a phone as I pay the monthly charges and it does nothing to subvert the system.

My one 6P I use VOIP over my computer WiFi node using the Talkatone app so it should still be usable in the house. It has its own number and I pay $2.00 a month so I don't have to look at ads in the app. Otherwise Talkatone is free. I can send a fair amount of data (ie. pictures) with T.a.t. without incurring charges. Hence I use that phone to take pictures I want to share as I can do it VOIP without issue.

I guess the days of rooting a cellphone to have complete control are over? Any suggestions? I want something close to the size of the Nexus 6p as it fits in the pocket of my cargo pants nicely. I might go with Verizon as they have an outlet in my town. The only other one is US Cellular.

Kurt Savegnago

You can get a 4G Android phone fairly cheap and root it.

Great,
Any specific models in mind? I rooted the Nexus 6p's under the Linux operating system by brute force and didn't use any of the
"rooting" software out there as I feared they would stick spyware on the phones.
There were command line instructions I input to the phones and rebooted. Got to a rooted 6p and was a happy camper. Though I did dork one of them in the process but got the backup phone through the process without issue when I figured it out.
My VOIP 6p should work after the deadline as it goes through an app and my WiFi home system. Unless the Internet Providers whack that stuff.
I have been a guest on a public Wifi sometimes and the VOIP phone wouldn't work. On my home Wifi, it works fine. I guess they can "nip it in the bud" to quote Barney Fife and not allow VOIP calls over a public WiFi.
Kurt Savegnago

Back