3D Printing Well, it's gone... someone deleted it all (was: Estes F-61 Starfighter plastic parts (3D printed))

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonathanOtt

Reaction score
Sitting in on a (very boring) teleconference, I have recreated the Estes F-61 Starfighter plastic parts.

I've wanted to clone the F-61 for a few years. I built two of these when I was in 7th grade and always thought it was a good looking model.

I took a little "creative license" on the nose cone, adding gun barrel holes. The nose cone IS NOT AN EXACT RENDERING, but "looks" like the original PNC-50CA. Also, the pods and missiles are TLAR, their lengths might not be exact (heck, I know they're not exact 🤔). I have the pods as either a one piece print (which will require supports) or halves that will need glued together (maybe print them with 15% infill?).

It's a work in progress.

Here's the Tinkercad link if anyone want's to look at it.

https://www.tinkercad.com/things/0U...e=eERXHjOe1BaXoqhEOGRiMPq6IWqeqWj1p4473VrW6DQ

Estes 1358 F-61 Starfighter parts.PNG

Last edited:
Okay, I just realized the pods are wrong. I can't find the dimensions of the ST-41 tube Estes used, other than it's 1.25" long. Anyone know the ID/OD/wall thickness of the ST-41 (part 031017)?

Well, the search feature worked. I found the ST-40 measurement here in TRF at an OD of .470" so I fixed the models in Tinkercad and it does look better.

Well, in the slicer, the missiles don't look like they'll work, fins are too thin; but everything else looks like it might print okay.

Well, someone DECIDED TO DELETE ALL MY WORK ON THE TINKERCAD LINK.

WHY???

I was kind enough to share the link to my Tinkercad so others could see what I was doing, and someone, I have no idea who could have done it, decided to delete all the work except for part of one of the pod halves.

Why would someone do that?

I so want to type a long string of expletives right now.

UUUGGGGGHHHH!

Okay, I'm going to be positive and say no one here on TRF did it. I'm going to think that someone from outside our community who was lurking around in the forum found it and did it to be malicious, as I know no one here would do something like this, right?

Not familiar with tinkercad all that well, does it have version history? Any way to see who did it or undo the change?

Not familiar with tinkercad all that well, does it have version history? Any way to see who did it or undo the change?
Not that I can see. Aside from asking the TRF webmaster who the ~70ish views were by prior to 0800 EDT this morning, I'll never know who might have looked at the Tinkercad link.

You can at least export the file to an STL or other file, I believe.
Yeah, I exported all the parts as STL's last night, but I can't edit them in Tinkercad. If I bring them into Tinkercad they are solid files.

I can re-create everything, as I had the nosecone in another file, it's just the extra piddly little stuff I did to it when I created the new design, and the pods and missiles...

It's just the feeling of ...violation... that someone went into a shared file and deleted it all. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
Yeah, I exported all the parts as STL's last night, but I can't edit them in Tinkercad. If I bring them into Tinkercad they are solid files.

I can re-create everything, as I had the nosecone in another file, it's just the extra piddly little stuff I did to it when I created the new design, and the pods and missiles...

It's just the feeling of ...violation... that someone went into a shared file and deleted it all. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Do you have Fusion 360? I've been able to modify downloaded Tinkercad files in 360. Haven't tried to go the other way.

It is definitely very frustrating to have something like this happen. Keep in mind though that the deletion might have been accidental, there's no way to know.

For the future, though, this is a vivid lesson that you should never publicly share *anything* except in read only mode, unless you don't care what happens to it. Period. If you privately share with people you trust, then it is *sometimes* OK to share with edit permission.

Latest posts

Back