3D Printing Welcome to the Jungle

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there any need for a file share sticky? Not sure if it would make sharing any easier than just poisting a link to Thingiverse, but at least it would all be rocketry related here.

I think that would be a great thread. Maybe it is better than the reviews.

We could have them sorted by manufacturer but in the root of the hardware section have a sticky review thread. I am not sure if that would be adequate as its just an initial thought, but I like the idea of going to one place reading about models and seeing reviews.

Maybe a sticky with product / hardware reviews and recommendations in a list with a link to the thread or post in which they are reviewed or recommended.

and a source for filaments? preferred brands? ones to steer clear of, and, maybe a preferred brand has a particularly difficult colour..

Two suggestions; CAD Software sticky, and a slicer software sticky each are purpose operations needed before we can even begin to print... at least from a designers stand point. These would contain list links; how to use; pros & cons etc. If these can combine into other stickies, that is great.

I would like to suggest a sticky for "Deals and Savings". You would be surprised how often one individual will come across a special that slips under most peoples radars.

Something like this.

MicroCenter In-Store only special - Raspberry Pi Zero W: Regular Price $10.00 / Sale Price $5.00 (Link)

No suggestions (yet) just a big THANK YOU for starting this sub-forum. Santa brought me a 3D printer and I'm just starting to make some things. This will be a life-saver I'm sure.

Thanks CW for setting up this section for 3D printing. I just got me a printer and looking forward to reading any tips people put out here.

I would like to read more about how people test the parts they print. For example, if you print a fin can, nose cone, fins, body tube, etc. what are the steps you take prior to flying that part to ensure it is safe to fly.

I would like to read more about how people test the parts they print. For example, if you print a fin can, nose cone, fins, body tube, etc. what are the steps you take prior to flying that part to ensure it is safe to fly.

Hi Jose, Welcome!

I think you have a great question! I would encourage you to start a separate thread in this forum on this subject, so not to detract from this thread..

I have some thoughts to add, and would rather add them to a dedicated thread.

Hi Jose, Welcome!

I think you have a great question! I would encourage you to start a separate thread in this forum on this subject, so not to detract from this thread..

I am still new to this. When you say "separate thread in this forum" Do you mean under
Home\Forums\Rocketry Techniques & Types3-D\Printing and Related topics? or Home\Forums\Rocketry Techniques & Types3-D\
or somewhere else?

Thank you!

Welcome. This week I will be testing my first kit. I make a kit I am going to call Mach 24. It will look familiar. It has a 24mm motor mount with 3d printed fin can and nose cone.

Hi Jose, Welcome!

I created a new thread here,

Wow.

Didn’t realize the prices had come down so much.

Prusa mini looks like an excellent starter machine / tech toy.

#YOLO

Free programs are good for getting started, obviously they are not as "feature rich" as something like Solidworks but they are also free, not over $1000 for a subscription (yearly). I believe Fusion 360 is free for the home user, but I have been wrong before so if someone else knows about it.

Chuck,
How about the
Creality Ender 3 Pro 3D Printer?
No Prusa minis anywhere, could be late as August.

If you decide to go the Ender 3 or 5 route get it from Tiny Machines 3D and get the BL Touch add-on, TM3D not only sells the machines but will install your upgrades that you order with it, and they also install a custom software by TM3D and verify that the unit is functional prior to you receiving it. I bought my CR-10v2 from them and couldn't be happier, they are located in Houston, Texas.

Free programs are good for getting started, obviously they are not as "feature rich" as something like Solidworks but they are also free, not over $1000 for a subscription (yearly). I believe Fusion 360 is free for the home user, but I have been wrong before so if someone else knows about it.

Join the EAA. One of the perks is free use of SOLIDWORKS Education Premium as well as several eductional accesses for the program. Probably more program than most will need.

Chuck,
How about the
Creality Ender 3 Pro 3D Printer?
No Prusa minis anywhere, could be late as August.

If you don't want to wait for the Prusa mini, I recommend the Prusa Mk3s and Fusion 360 free for students and startups (hobbyists).

Join the EAA. One of the perks is free use of SOLIDWORKS Education Premium as well as several eductional accesses for the program. Probably more program than most will need.

And not to forget, SolidWorks is $20/year for any veteran.

Great idea, my great uncle Stanley Dzik was on the board many years ago. He wrote a book on helicopter engineering.

If you decide to go the Ender 3 or 5 route get it from Tiny Machines 3D and get the BL Touch add-on, TM3D not only sells the machines but will install your upgrades that you order with it, and they also install a custom software by TM3D and verify that the unit is functional prior to you receiving it. I bought my CR-10v2 from them and couldn't be happier, they are located in Houston, Texas.
I checked, they are just about sold out! Out of all the printers they only have 2 models available and the BL touch is sold out too.

Back