Weird Road Names Near You

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeus-cat

Reaction score
Indian Ripple Road in Beavercreek, Ohio. Sounds like one of the worst ice cream flavors ever.

Lon Mee Road. In Harriman TN. I lived here for 30 years before I found out that It was a local officials' name. :) I used to live on Seed Tick Road, before that. If you don't know what seed Ticks are, you are a lucky, lucky person. :)

I’ve got family in Utah. Lots of places there have their streets laid out on a grid system. You get street names like “W 500 N” and the house number fills in the West coordinate.

We have 3 roads named Princess Anne within a 5 mile radius.....none of the 3 are connected to each other.

I used to live on Elbow lane, in Cherry Hills, NJ. The street signs would last at most 6 months before they were stolen.

There is a Race Way, in Centennial, CO.

A long, long, time ago, when I was growing up in Texas...

A youth organization I belonged to had a state convention and the state youth executive for the organization got up and announced he was from Muleshoe, TX. He then said that he's often asked where Muleshoe was, and he'd reply, "About 15 miles from Earth. Earth, TX, that is."

I’ve got family in Utah. Lots of places there have their streets laid out on a grid system. You get street names like “W 500 N” and the house number fills in the West coordinate.

This system makes it so much easier to find houses when someone calls 911. All you have to know is which roads mark the divide for the directional in the county and then you know how many miles away and in which direction to find the address.

I've not lived there, but on visits to Detroit, I've driven past Big Beaver Rd. in Troy many a time.
I went to school in Michigan for about 2-and-a-half years. Roads in Calhoun County sometimes had two names, one with a proper name and one with the measurement from one of the county lines (I forget which). The road by my school was both Starr Commonwealth Way (named for the school) and 25 1/2 Mile Road. I think they dropped the Starr moniker after the campus closed.

I grew up on Menagerie Dr. Cross St is Miller Rd. County named Miller road because we were the only people living down it at the time. The 1/4 mile from there is Menagerie, named by mom, since we had every kind of animal on the place you could imagine and a few you couldn’t. City limits now sits on moms fence line.

There is a long north-south road in this area (south Puget Sound) called Military Road. But one of the towns here is called Federal Way, which I've wondered about all 43 years we've lived here.

Used to live on Normal Ave., Ashland, Oregon... Damn near got ran over by Jack Elam on it too (He was far worse a driver than the Cannonball Run movies would have you believe). When Ieft, I think they had to rename it to Abnormal Ave.

Montreal has some neat name,s and like most, names after famous people, mainly political figures. So, there is alwasy some controvercy naming (or renaming) a street after a particular persopn (such as Rene Levesque Blvd). There is also the unique political haze here, where anything "English" quietly gets changed to French.. (again, Rene Levesque Blvd used to be "Dorchester". it is still Dorchester in the very affluent (and English) portion of Westmount..)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/René_Lévesque
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/René_Lévesque_Boulevard

I used to live on Freestone Rd. in Liverpool (NY). I moved to NM 20 years ago and NY state just got around to making it legal. ;)

There is a long north-south road in this area (south Puget Sound) called Military Road. But one of the towns here is called Federal Way, which I've wondered about all 43 years we've lived here.
Then have University Place near Tacoma, with no university nearby…

Back