weird coupler

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan S.

Reaction score
well, as I have mentioned in some other thread I picked up a Smokin Rockets Mission Impossible. It is actually the first Mission Impossible made (or so I am told). It is only the Fincan, to be more precise and it came with a weird coupler to put on the rest of the body. It is a fiberglass thing that when twisted pops out for a timer. My question is: is this thing strong enough to take the shock of the parachute coming out (the shockcord attaches to the ubolt mounted on it) or will it strip out. I am thinking off mounting some screws on it just to make sure. BTW there is another part glued permantantly with 3 ridges. The coupler has 3 upside down L shaped depressions that the ridges slide into then wehn the coupler is twisted it wont pull out

also the coupler only has about 3"-3.5" protruding for the upper tube to sit on.... is this enough support for the upper body?

I assume you are talking about something like the CPR that PML makes. But in the CPR's case the screw part is actaully metal. It should be perfectly fine. Just don't overdo it with the BP. :)

I think it is a PML part but not sure definantly no metal though

This sounds like the INSTALOK PML developed for their Triton AMRV. They discontinued that kit a long time ago, but apparently they still sell the unit. I think you should be fine with it, but reassurance is always a good thing, so I'd throw in a few screws, or maybe some allthread, if you don't think the unit is strong enough. I've never known a rocket to fail in flight because it was too strong! :D

I see, well the fincan I bought is pretty old. I think I will screw a few screws in it just to be safe....I dont think althread is going to help it because I would but the screws through the airframe.

Thanks guys

Back