Quantcast

Weird Android Problem

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

jqavins

Joseph Avins
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm having a weird and ANNOYING problem posting form my android phones. On my personal one, a Pixel 4 using Chrome, if I type a carriage return the keyboard goes away. Press it twice to leave a blank line and the keyboard will go away twice.

On my employer provided phone, a Galaxy S7, not only does the keyboard go away for carriage returns, it does the same thing for backspaces! Catch a typo, back it off, keyboard gone.

I have tested in other apps. More importantly, in Chrome posting to another forum (Order of the Stick) and have no such problem. OotS uses the same software that TRF used to. I've just tried on thehomefoundry.org's forum , which uses XenForo, and don't have the problem there either.

GRRRRR!!

Please help.

heada

Reaction score
Same thing for me on a Ulefone Armor 6e running Android 9. I think it's an odd mix of the site, Gboard and Chrome.

jqavins

Joseph Avins
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm using the stock keyboards on both phones. That's Samsung keyboard on the Samsung, and Gboard on the Pixel.

jadebox

Roger Smith
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
I've seen the same issue with a few web sites other than just this one while using Chrome. I've had other issues like autocorrect inserting text without removing the incorrect text (which also happens on TRF occasionally) and the "Copy Cut ...." context menu failing to appear when selecting text.

I uninstalled Firefox after the recent update (that I thought made it unusable), but might have to reconsider.

Last edited:

shawn_rocket

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen the same issue with a few web sites while using Chrome. I've had other issues like autocorrect inserting text without removing the incorrect text (which happens on TRF occasionally) and the "Copy Cut ...." context menu failing to appear when selecting text.

I uninstalled Firefox after the recent update (that I thought made it unusable), but might have to reconsider.
Once you get used to the new changes, it's actually quite usable. I didn't like them at first, but really like them now.

jadebox

Roger Smith
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
I found some posts online that suggest clearing the Storage and Cache for the GBoard app fixes the problem at least temporarily. I am not having the issue right now so cannot test it.

If the problem is the Google keyboard app, I guess you could install a different keyboard.

jqavins

Joseph Avins
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
No, as I stated, on the Samsung phone I'm using the stock Samsung keyboard. No Gboard in sight. And it's worse. And with both phones it's only on TRF.

I'll try the tips above.

jqavins

Joseph Avins
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I cleared the cache for Gboard on my personal phone and it didn't help. I'm reluctant to clear all of it's storage because I'd then have to go through all the settings again. Autocorrect: butt out. Suggestions: shut the hell up. Whatever else I did and don't remember.

I'll try Firefox. But there's still part of the problem that's specific to TRF.

jqavins

Joseph Avins
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Well, it's working with Firefox on my personal phone. Now I'll try Firefox on my work phone.

jqavins

Joseph Avins
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
OK, it's working here on the work phone too.

This still seems like a half assed workaround, when other forum sites that use the same underlying software (XenForo) don't have the same browser specific problem.

jadebox

Roger Smith
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
The issue is discussed in one of the XenForo support forums, so I don't think it is just TRF.

Greg Furtman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I use Opera both on my Windows 10 laptop and my Galaxy S7 and my ASUS tablet and have had no problems. Opera is a Norwegian based company and I like it very much.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Update your Chrome browser to newest version. The one before newest had this issue. And all parties know about it. So update your Chrome browser.

In the meantime you can click on the far right gear icon on the contol bar above and return and backspace will work. But you must click the gear again to turn on the bar functions. Then back off for return, etc.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
The issue is discussed in one of the XenForo support forums, so I don't think it is just TRF.
It was everywhere. And TRF is about 2 weeks later than everyone else posting about it.

jqavins

Joseph Avins
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I accept the Chrome update from Google play every time it comes out, which is somewhere around every week or two. But I'll check for something more.

jqavins

Joseph Avins
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Weirder and weirder. This is no longer a forum issue per se, but maybe someone can help all the same.

The Play Store says there's another Chrome update, but refuses to download and install it. I tap the update button, it changes color and fades back, and then nothing happens. No message, and no update.

I've cleared the Play Store apps storage and rebooted my phone: no change.

WTH?

jqavins

Joseph Avins
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Uninstalled Chrome and reinstalled it. The reinstall was at the truly latest rev. I shall see haw many settings I lost. At least my weird problem is, indeed, gone.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
I hope you did not loose too many settings.

jqavins

Joseph Avins
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
It seems OK so far. You actually can't take Chrome altogether off my Pixel, so it was just Uninstall Updates. The factory version seems to have been a lifeboat for the settings.

jadebox

Roger Smith
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
My phone just updated to Android 11. Now, sometimes when I click on a test field to bring up the keyboard and enter a reply in a forum, Chrome sometimes jumps to a completely different web page! That's quite an improvement. :)

jqavins

Joseph Avins
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My phone just updated to Android 11 also. I don't have your problem, but I'm still having a different weird problem (not forum related).

I posted earlier about not being able to update Chrome even though the play store said there was an update. And that I fixed it by reverting, then updating from that, and it got the latest.

Well, the notice of an update available remained even though I had that version. But it gets odder still.

Now there's another new update for Chrome and I'm having the same "won't install" problem. So I tried the same fix. This time, it refuses to revert and I still can't install the latest update. Maybe the Android 11 update made that last Chrome version I got into the new "factory" version, so no reverting, so no updating. That doesn't sound right, but I've got no better guess.

A full phone total factory reset might do the trick. I'm not willing to go that drastic.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
My phone just updated to Android 11. Now, sometimes when I click on a test field to bring up the keyboard and enter a reply in a forum, Chrome sometimes jumps to a completely different web page! That's quite an improvement. :)

OH NO! This does not make me any happier than it makes you.

jadebox

Roger Smith
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
I followed Joseph's procedure of uninstalling the Chrome updates and letting it reinstall them. It's working a little better now. But, I'm still seeing odd things like when the page scrolling when the keyboard pops up so you can't see what you are typing.