Website Up!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thrustline

Reaction score
The Thrustline website is finally up and running. I will be adding carts in the next week for Parts Packs, and Thrustline kits. Watch this thread for updates for all changes.

Here ya go...

WWW.THRUSTLINEAEROSPACE.COM

John

Looks Great! Of course its just another place for me to spend more money!:)

Hey John, not sure if it is on my end or if you are still working on things, but I don't see any pics, just the red x where they are. Other than that, looking good!

Hey John, not sure if it is on my end or if you are still working on things, but I don't see any pics, just the red x where they are. Other than that, looking good!
Thanks for the heads up....may need to move them to my photo host. Had a lot less problems on the old site doing that way.:rolleyes:

Outstanding!

Looks great John, I'm kind of missing the old logo any thoughts on bringing it back? Stay sane man, even if the rest of us are going nuts!

John,

The website looks great but it's been up for almost 24 hours and there are no closeouts yet! Aren't you overstocked on something? Haven't you discontinued anything yet?

Holy cow. I HATE paying full retail. ;)

Best of luck with the new site and let me know as soon as the Arapahoe is ready,

Steve

Stay sane man, even if the rest of us are going nuts!
I wouldn't be going nuts if he didn't have such nice kits!! I found the Thrustaero site a few years ago, and then didn't do much with rockets for a while due to kids being born and having no time. I came back over the summer, and went looking for Thrustline. Was so disappointed it was gone, then heard the news of why. John, I am glad your wife is doing well and you are making a go out of everything once again.

Outstanding!

Looks great John, I'm kind of missing the old logo any thoughts on bringing it back? Stay sane man, even if the rest of us are going nuts!

Hmmm....I have been wondering the same. I am mulling over the idea of either bringing back the old logo......or....making a new one. Then the thought of a possible Logo contest came to mind:D

Hey John...

The website's lookin' good!

A logo contest would be fun. :)

I've got a few ideas (as always). I'm working on my old Mike IX....now it's a two-stage. Remember this one? The winter 'splinter' camo is gone. You can see an OKTurbo logo idea on the fin. (Thrustline Aerospace = ThrustAero = Rocket(Arrow) with bow) Phred at Excelsior printed these up for me years ago...

I'm hoping to get this two stage Mike IX ready for the next Tulsa Rocketry launch.

John

10.05.05 MIX2 008a.jpg

10.05.05 MIX2 005a.jpg

Hmmm....I have been wondering the same. I am mulling over the idea of either bringing back the old logo......or....making a new one. Then the thought of a possible Logo contest came to mind:D

Just don't use a cockroach holding a nose cone in one hand and a rocket in the other hand.

I think that one's been taken.;)

I remember this well. Both schemes were awesome. This kit was so big, I had to ship it in two bags! But what a smoker. When I go to Durham in June, this will be one that I'm bringing.
John, have you flown it as a 2 stage? As I remember you were working on a alt timer or something...
Hey John...

The website's lookin' good!

A logo contest would be fun. :)

I've got a few ideas (as always). I'm working on my old Mike IX....now it's a two-stage. Remember this one? The winter 'splinter' camo is gone. You can see an OKTurbo logo idea on the fin. (Thrustline Aerospace = ThrustAero = Rocket(Arrow) with bow) Phred at Excelsior printed these up for me years ago...

I'm hoping to get this two stage Mike IX ready for the next Tulsa Rocketry launch.

John

I remember this well. Both schemes were awesome. This kit was so big, I had to ship it in two bags! But what a smoker. When I go to Durham in June, this will be one that I'm bringing.
John, have you flown it as a 2 stage? As I remember you were working on a alt timer or something...

June?

Did you say you're coming down to Durham in June?

WOOT!!!!!!! I finally get a chance to meet you.

Bob

The original Mike IX I built was starting to get a bit battle weary from too many hot ejection charges. That 3x24mm cluster puts a lot heat in the body tube when the ejection charges go off. The body tube was showing blisters. Instead of retiring it, I had an idea to make it a two stage.

My first attempt was with a 3x24mm booster gap staging to a 1x24mm sustainer....I tried to direct the three booster stages into the 1 sustainer using a funnel type arrangement. Needless to say...the gap staging didn't work and it had a ballistic fall into terra firma...SPLAT. The booster stage looked spectacular though :).

This is my 2nd attempt at a 2 stage Mike IX. I haven't flow it yet, but this time it will be with a Perfectflite minitimer w/ G switch to light the 1x24 mm sustainer stage. The booster will still be a 3x24mm cluster with it's own parachute to bring it down safely (hopefully)

The launch/flight should be interesting no matter what happens :/

Here are some pics...first pic is the original Mike IX. The next two pics are of the first 2 stage attempt. Last pic is of the new 'mini' e-bay with timer on the newest version of Mike IX-2.

...probably too much info...don't want to take over your post here....All these pics and info/posts were lost with the old TRF.com....

08.05.05 MIX2 001a.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome back John! The website looks great so far!
Thanks Rocketcrab!

John,

Do you think the Mike IX would benefit from longer motor tubes (maybe even foil lined) to help cool the ejection gases? Maybe even reduce the over all motor count to three as you did in the 2-stage.

Thanks Rocketcrab!

John,

Do you think the Mike IX would benefit from longer motor tubes (maybe even foil lined) to help cool the ejection gases? Maybe even reduce the over all motor count to three as you did in the 2-stage.

The simplest solution would be to use a BT80H Heavier Wall tube for the fuselage. I'm not sure if the foil lined motor tube would help much since the blistering is above where the motor tube ends. Longer motor tubes may help, but the best bet would be to use a heavier wall tube for the fuselage....you would have to get a nose cone made for the heavy wall, but everything else would be the same.

*** keep in mind, I flew this Mike IX MANY times before the blistering showed up....and There were some "hot" ejections charges from some of those D12's. Not something I would consider as a design flaw....I just wore the poor bird out. :)

John

Last edited:
The simplest solution would be to use a BT80H Heavier Wall tube for the fuselage. I'm not sure if the foil lined motor tube would help much since the blistering is above where the motor tube ends. Longer motor tubes may help, but the best bet would be to use a heavier wall tube for the fuselage....you would have to get a nose cone made for the heavy wall, but everything else would be the same.

*** keep in mind, I flew this Mike IX MANY times before the blistering showed up....and There were some "hot" ejections charges from some of those D12's. Not something I would consider as a design flaw....I just wore the poor bird out. :)

John

Hmmm...that's do-able. The only diameters affected are Nose cone, cluster rings, and coupler. All of which are available without any special modification. And....maybe some laser cut basswood fins to boot!:rolleyes:

ID of the BT80H is the same at a BT80....centering rings, cluster rings, and coupler would be the same....only the OD is bigger

Hey John, since you guys are talking Mike X, I have a question. I saw on the EMRR review that John did(LOL) the bottom fins are 2 piece with the grain going in different directions. Is the reason strength? Is this stronger than just having the grain go along the leading edge? I am guessing the smaller middle fins are 1 piece with the grain going along the leading edge?
The fins on the Mike are similar to the Estes Optima, which I am thinking about building at some point. I could possibly use that fin technique on that if it adds alot of strength.
David

Hey John, since you guys are talking Mike X, I have a question. I saw on the EMRR review that John did(LOL) the bottom fins are 2 piece with the grain going in different directions. Is the reason strength? Is this stronger than just having the grain go along the leading edge? I am guessing the smaller middle fins are 1 piece with the grain going along the leading edge?
The fins on the Mike are similar to the Estes Optima, which I am thinking about building at some point. I could possibly use that fin technique on that if it adds alot of strength.
David

I'd have to look back into the instruction file to make sure, but that makes sense. The Arapahoe I designed with the same type of right angle grain to take advantage of strength in that regard. I don't see why you couldn't use that technique in almost any fin design.

I think there was also an issue with the root edge of the lowest fin being larger than the 3" or 4" standard balsa sheet stock.

The lower fins woudl greatly benefit form a TFF tpe construction, but with 3 motors & 4 fins.. the math / dims jsut don't add up. pitty. (maybe make it a 4x cluster!! :eek: )

My lower tube got a great crease in it from it's 1st & only flight. I assumed that only 2 of the 3 motors lit, causing a bit of uneaqual stress in the tube. Or, that certain section of tube was slightly sub par.. I have yet to to an autopsy.. But the mod to a 2-stager woudl be an encouraging "rebirth"!

Welcome back John..

I'd have to look back into the instruction file to make sure, but that makes sense. The Arapahoe I designed with the same type of right angle grain to take advantage of strength in that regard. I don't see why you couldn't use that technique in almost any fin design.
I thought the Arapahoe fins looked like that! I can look at the build of the Arapahoe when I get one and see what techniques I can use on other models. Good Stuff John!!

I think there was also an issue with the root edge of the lowest fin being larger than the 3" or 4" standard balsa sheet stock.

The lower fins woudl greatly benefit form a TFF tpe construction, but with 3 motors & 4 fins.. the math / dims jsut don't add up. pitty. (maybe make it a 4x cluster!! :eek: )

My lower tube got a great crease in it from it's 1st & only flight. I assumed that only 2 of the 3 motors lit, causing a bit of uneaqual stress in the tube. Or, that certain section of tube was slightly sub par.. I have yet to to an autopsy.. But the mod to a 2-stager woudl be an encouraging "rebirth"!

Welcome back John..

Hmmm....2 of the 3? Maybe 3 of the 4? It's a 4 engine cluster. Unless it was modified, or had optional parts, it was stock with 4 sticks of thrustable BP. On the other hand, the Smoke and Fire kit was a trimotor:D

Hmmm....2 of the 3? Maybe 3 of the 4? It's a 4 engine cluster. Unless it was modified, or had optional parts, it was stock with 4 sticks of thrustable BP. On the other hand, the Smoke and Fire kit was a trimotor:D

...my Mike IX was originally a 3 x 24mm Cluster....

Were the later ones 4x24mm?

FinAttach.jpg

John:

I can't tell you how excited I am that you've gotten your website back up and running. I've owned two (maybe 3?) of your Sea Darts over the course of my interest in rocketry. In fact, I just finished repairing a minor zipper (oops! delay) after what must've been its 12th flight or so. I also have your Tribute II, Arapahoe E, and Double Up, all of which I found to be fun and exciting builds (Arapahoe E is stalled- gotta get some more fin material after I ruined the provided balsa with bad filler). Don't change a thing!

...Except maybe release more kits. ;)

-Sam Shaw

John:

I can't tell you how excited I am that you've gotten your website back up and running. I've owned two (maybe 3?) of your Sea Darts over the course of my interest in rocketry. In fact, I just finished repairing a minor zipper (oops! delay) after what must've been its 12th flight or so. I also have your Tribute II, Arapahoe E, and Double Up, all of which I found to be fun and exciting builds (Arapahoe E is stalled- gotta get some more fin material after I ruined the provided balsa with bad filler). Don't change a thing!

...Except maybe release more kits. ;)

-Sam Shaw

Sam...I really hate to see a stalled project. You need some of that special Arapahoe balsa. You know the stuff.....wathed over carefully by a medicine man or 30 days and 30 nights until each grain until each are in harmony with the sweet scent of....:cool:

Send me your address...I have piece with your name on it:D

Back