Website Help...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flying_silverad

Reaction score
After much procrastination (and fear) I am finally deep into the design...or should I say re-design...of my website using MS FrontPage 2002. It's pretty straight forward although there is one thing I'm not clear on. Is it true that I can't simply upload my site as is? Do I have to use some sort of FTP to perform this function? And what the heck does this FTP do anyways?

Any other hints from FrontPage users are welcome as well.

Signed,
Delirious
:D

FTP is the File Transfer Protocol and is required to load files to a web server. I don't know much about Front Page, and assume that it doesn't have a ftp utility built in.

Every ISP I've had either provides an upload utility or has a recommendation on what to get, and that may be the best for you. For instance, Comcasst provides a web-based upload utility. The down side is that it transfers one file at a time, whereas the fancier tools let you transfer mulitple files etc.

The good news is that there are also free and shareware ftp programs available. Someone may have a specific suggestion, I'd look on CNET to see what is available.

I use frontpage. What you have to do is talk to your Hosting provider. Ask them if they have frontpage extensions. If they do, you need to ask them what your upload name and password are. Chances are that it is the same as your webmaster login. You might as well try before you ask them. What you do is go to file, and then publish web.

One day I'll start using Frontpage myself...I'm a dinosaur that likes a cheap text editor :p

Originally posted by rstaff3
One day I'll start using Frontpage myself...I'm a dinosaur that likes a cheap text editor :p

Microsoft Notepad....best webpage editor ever created....

later
jerryb

Originally posted by AlexM
I use frontpage. What you have to do is talk to your Hosting provider. Ask them if they have frontpage extensions. If they do, you need to ask them what your upload name and password are. Chances are that it is the same as your webmaster login. You might as well try before you ask them. What you do is go to file, and then publish web.

While inquiring about my password and username (which has long been forgotten) I was told that there shouldn't be any problem. Tomorrow I'm going to talk to tech support person there and ask for sure....the guy I e-mailed today didn't sound to definitive.

Originally posted by flying_silverad
While inquiring about my password and username (which has long been forgotten) I was told that there shouldn't be any problem. Tomorrow I'm going to talk to tech support person there and ask for sure....the guy I e-mailed today didn't sound to definitive.

If this is true, it's probably true whether it's for FP extensions or FTP.

If you need an FTP client, WS_FTP is very easy to use. You log into your account, start it up, and get windows to pick the file(s) to send, and for where to put them. It should default to the place you're logged into in your account, and if you need to change, that's a matter of pull-downs.

Originally posted by DynaSoar
If this is true, it's probably true whether it's for FP extensions or FTP.

If you need an FTP client, WS_FTP is very easy to use. You log into your account, start it up, and get windows to pick the file(s) to send, and for where to put them. It should default to the place you're logged into in your account, and if you need to change, that's a matter of pull-downs.

What does WS stand for?

Originally posted by rstaff3

Don't do it!

What does WS stand for?

It probably mans something to Ipswitch, who publishes WS_FTP other than that, nothing to you.

John

I think you may be going about this the hard way. I'm not sure who your provider is, however many provide canned webstores with all the features built in. Then you use an ASP based (on-line) editor) to tune it for yourself. Unless you really want to learn web programming, or plan to spend valuable time away from your core competency of designing and kitting a great rocket kit, I'd encourage you to consider this. I checked with my host and a 50 item eShop will set you back $10 a month.

If you are interested, PM or e-mail me and I'll tell you who I use. I am certain there are others who offer similar services.

A

Al-
The problem is, I'm about half done and I didn't really see anything that suited my needs. The sites that I saw...well...I couldn't do enough tweaking and it seemed that frontPage was a good alternative since it's pretty much a wusiwug kind of program. Good for me because I don't have the time to learn all the code.

Al-
The problem is, I'm about half done and I didn't really see anything that suited my needs. The sites that I saw...well...I couldn't do enough tweaking and it seemed that frontPage was a good alternative since it's pretty much a wusiwug kind of program. Good for me because I don't have the time to learn all the code.

Have you looked at any of the content management systems that are out there? I just recently started using mambo open source for the nerrf website. Very user friendly, lots of add on modules and components, including on line stores. I'm playing around with one right now for ticket sales. All you need for mambo is a MySQL database and PHP.

Originally posted by thomasrau
Have you looked at any of the content management systems that are out there?
No...is this something I needafterI upload my site?

I just recently started using mambo open source for the nerrf website. Very user friendly, lots of add on modules and components, including on line stores. I'm playing around with one right now for ticket sales. All you need for mambo is a MySQL database and PHP.

I don't think I need all that...but I'll take a look at it.

Mambo is used to build and run your site. You upload and install it, which is fairly simple. Many hosts have installation scripts like fantastico which will make it even easier to install. Once installed you log into mambo as an admin and start configuring and building your site. Its all done "online" no FTP, no frontpage.

Originally posted by asmqajm
You'll most likley need an FTP client for uploads. I use this:

https://www.ftpx.com/

A little old, yes. But it works and it's free.
Thanks!

Question: What is the result if you don't use an FTP "assist" and you upload anyway? Will the host prompt you to do so, or do you just end up with a site that fails to work properly?

Thanks!

Question: What is the result if you don't use an FTP "assist" and you upload anyway? Will the host prompt you to do so, or do you just end up with a site that fails to work properly?

Not sure what you mean by FTP "assist". I just use FTPX quick connect to my host, drag 'n' drop in files for website updates.

So long as you can get files uploaded to the host, and they are within their "rules" Then they should work fine. A couple of examples of "rules" that my host has is:

1. Web page file extenstions have to end with "HTML" NOT "HTM"
2. First page has to be "INDEX.HTML"

I'm a self-taught webmaster, and it shows! My page is lame, but it does the job I guess.:D

Originally posted by asmqajm
Not sure what you mean by FTP "assist". I just use FTPX quick connect to my host, drag 'n' drop in files for website updates.

So long as you can get files uploaded to the host, and they are within their "rules" Then they should work fine. A couple of examples of "rules" that my host has is:

1. Web page file extenstions have to end with "HTML" NOT "HTM"
2. First page has to be "INDEX.HTML"

I'm a self-taught webmaster, and it shows! My page is lame, but it does the job I guess.:D

I wish I read this before I hit the publish button:D Okay, so is it safe just to go in and change all of the ".htm" files to ".html"? I'm suprised the software doesn't prompt you do that when you hit the publish button. I uploaded everything but the old home page is still there. I also neglected to hit the "replace all pages button":eek: Any other tips?

If you need to re-name all the files from .HTM to .HTML (might not be necessary, my host requires the 4-letter filename extension) just open all your files with your HTML editor (MS Word, Frontpage, or whatever you genetated your pages with) and re-save them with the ".HTML" extension. That's the safest way to do it.

For uploading a completely new site, delete all your old files first, then load in your new ones.

When you do updates to the existing site, then just update the pages you want, upload those and have them replace the existing pages. That way, you don't have to re-upload the whole dang thing whenver you want to do just updates.

That's what I do, and it works for me. :D Hope this helps

Okay. I uploaded all the files...again...and I still get the old homepage. The funny thing is, when i click on the "Home" link of the old homepage, it links to the NEW Homepage! Then, all the links work from there. For some reason, the old homepage is still there. Any ideas?

BTW, thanks for all the help guys. The learning curve isn't steep, but it sure is constant!

Okay. I uploaded all the files...again...and I still get the old homepage. {snip}
I think you are pulling up an old Web page from your cache.
Try deleting the temporary files in your Internet browser.

SWEEEET! All done ..finally. Thanks a lot guys. I renamed the index file, reloaded everything and now it works perfectly! Go check it out and let me know what you think!

www.thrustaero.com

Joe Michel wrote:

> If you need to re-name all the files from .HTM
> to .HTML (might not be necessary, my host
> requires the 4-letter filename extension) just
> open all your files with your HTML editor (MS
> Word, Frontpage, or whatever you genetated your
> pages with) and re-save them with the ".HTML"
> extension. That's the safest way to do it.

Speaking of dinosaurs, an even easier way to
do this is to go to the DOS prompt and use
"ren" with a wildcard. Example:

Prompt> ren *.htm *.html

Doug

Well a special thanks to all you guys that helped out with the final product. An extra special thanks goes out to Hospital Rocket who diplomatically, and with great thoughtfulness has helped me tweak the site into something even better. THANKS AL!

Now that I am getting used to updating, newer designs and products will be available sooner withouot the hassle of an Ebay purchase.

Back