Web Hosting Services

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

11bravo

Reaction score
Those that use them, which do you use or have you used?
Good experiences?
Bad experiences?
Thinking hard on registering a domain name and putting up a personal site.
Opinions/suggestions wanted.
Thanks all.
Have a good weekend,

Greg

While I have not yet actually gotten a "Web host", here is where I plan to get mine. (unless someone else posts a site I like better)

https://www.edatarack.com/

I own two domains (one personal and one business) and my mom plans on getting one for herself. The package I am going to get at edatarack will host 4 domains, 2000 MB of data and 60GB of data transfer for $6.95 a month (no setup fee)

I use 1amd1.com

$9.95 a month

If you are not a web programmer, it has a great ASP based site creation and content mabagement tool. My site took less than three hours to set up.

Service and reliability have been absolutley first rate.

A

Originally posted by 11Bravo
Good experiences?
Bad experiences?
Thanks all.
Have a good weekend,

Greg

First check to see if your ISP gives you storage space that you can use as web space. No sense renting more if you already have some. If it's a personal site, and in particular if you tell them you won't put your MP3 collection up there to share with the world, they usually don't mind.

If not, steer clear of everyone.net. They run the email for rocketryonline.com. They've lost the contents of my inbox 3 times in a month, they won't let me upgrade my account from free to a paid email account or to a paid web hosted account because my username is already taken (duh!) and their tech support requires you to jump through so many hoops before you're allowed to talk to someone who knows something that you'll just get discouraged and go away.

Web hosts often offer you web site authoring software. For a personal site you rarely need or will ever learn everything they have to offer. There's plenty of free stuff available at https://www.thefreecountry.com/webmaster/htmleditors.shtml

For that matter, Word will save as HTML I think.

A tip: don't put your email address as a mailto: tag or other form of text on your pages. Spammer harvesters scour the web looking for these and you'll end up on every spammer's list. Instead (if you even want it available) make a small graphic with your email address in graphic letters, save it as a JPG or GIF and include that graphic on your page. So people can't click right to your address and have to type it. Small price to keep your mailbox clean.

I use 34sp.com reasonable prices, excellent support and service.

The exhange rate might mean it's not favourable for people who pay in USD.

I use Linuxwebhost.com

Prices are reasonable for what you get, service is first rate and the control pannel you get is top notch. Allows me to truely *manage* my service from creating email to impleme;nting search engines, database ops, coding etc.

Reseller accounts are 1/2 price all the time, so only your first domain gets hit with the full price

jim

I use Globat hosting. They have some pretty good specials every now and then, and even without them, it is pretty cheap.

Good question.
First thing you need to do is try to evaluate what your needs are in terms of space, bandwidth, and OS. For most people a Linux based host running Apache will serve their needs. If you want to run .ASP or .NET you really need a Windows based system, but these tend to cost more for.
There are many, many, many hosting providers out there, be careful, many stink to high heaven. Avoid "deals" that show up on e-bay, you'll more than likely get burnt big time. Avoid hosts that offer "unlimited space" and or "unlimited bandwidth" there aint no such thing. Be careful during summer vacation time, lots of "kiddie" hosts suddenly spring up and disappear again when school starts up.
Test out a hosts support before commiting to them, do they offer phone support?, trouble tickets?, email?, AIM etc. ? Are they in a data center with reliable power and backbone connections?
Before you make a final decision on a host I would do two things. One go to a site like webhostingtalk.com and do a search on the company to see if there are any horror stories you need to be concerned with.

I currently use micfo.com, reasonably priced and great support. They allow multiple domains on a single account, so I currently have hipower-rocketry.com, rocketlist.com, nerrf.com, nettechjedi.com, and a friends table200.com sites all on the one account.
Prior to micfo.com I used ipowerweb, but their support stank. Prior to that I hosted on my own server, but my bandwidth was limited and it would have cost more per month to increase the speed of my connection than it cost to host elsewhere.

Thanks for the replies, if anyone else has more ideas I'd still like to hear them.
My ISP does offer 20MB web space that I have used for a couple of years just for stuff, but the free space is NOT at all high on their priority list so it is a bit troublesome.
They will host a domain name and give you more space, but the price is higher than many/most on-line hosts.
I'm looking at registering a domain name.
My ISP will take care of the registration, but charge the old $30.00 a year or whatever as opposed to the discount rates others offer.
Their monthly charge is also higher.

Greg

Edit:
I've been doing some research into the services suggested.
So far godaddy.com seems to be the closest to what I'm looking for.
Others look good too, but I'm leaning towards a .us domain and that eliminates quite a few, I was surprised.
Thanks again everyone,

Greg

Originally posted by 11Bravo
Good experiences?
Bad experiences?
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe uses https://www.hostrocket.com. I also have about 20 of my clients signed up there as well as the WOOSH and NARCON websites. They have some great pricing and offer tons of features.

Back