Web Hosting or Verizon Has Finally Pushed Me To Far

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zippy

Reaction score
I know that I've gotten good suggestions before when I started a thread complaining about Verizon's web hosting and my pages being "Locked". People here gave me good alternatives.
Well I don't remember what any of them were and yes I could do a search but with the fast pace of today's host's comming and going I thought I'd ask this time for real since I will actually be moving all my sites instead of just complaining about POOR SERVICE FROM VERIZON.
I only have a few hosting needs, they are...
A domain name.
Advertising must be allowed since I make a few coins off of amazon.com
A shopping cart would be nice.
500 megs or more of storage would be great especially if I could put up video, VERIZON doesn't let me put up video even if their was room in the chintzy 10 megs of malfunctioning storage they claim to provide as free.
$4.95 a month would be a good price.
I don't need things like site builders or wizards as I like to use NotePad.

Any help from ye web masters tis appreciated.

Check out www.brinkster.com - only $4.95 a month for the following:

Personal Package Features
1 Free Domain
Brinkster Control Panel
500 MB WEB SPACE
7 GB WEB TRAFFIC
50 POP3 E-MAIL ACCOUNTS
24/7/365 E-MAIL, LIVE CHAT AND PHONE SUPPORT
FTP ACCESS
WEB BASED SITE ManaGeR
25 Page brinksteR Website Builder

DOMAIN FEATURES
1 Free Domain
Point up to 50 Domains to Brinkster Name Servers
50 Sub domains
Domain ManageR (Coming Soon)

SUPPORTED TECHNOLOGIES
MICROSOFT FRONTPAGE 2003
WAP ENABLED
FLASH ENABLED

E-MAIL ESSENTIALS
50 POP3 E-MAIL ACCOUNTS WITH 50MB SPACE EACH
BRINKSTER WEBMAIL
WEB BASED E-MAIL ManaGeR
E-MAIL FORWARDING
100 E-MAIL ALIASES
Auto-responders
Virus scan protection for all accounts

DATA CENTER/SERVER FEATURES
WINDOWS 2003 IIS 6
HOt swapable hardware redundant file storage
DAILY DATA BACKUPS
fully redundant connections to an oc48 backbone
NETWORK FIREWALL
24/7 NETWORK MONITORING
24/7 WEB SERVER MONITORING

SUPPORT
24/7/365 SUPPORT BY PHONE, LIVE CHAT AND E-MAIL
90 DAY MONEY BACK GUARANTEE
unlimited access to brinkster code bank

MISCELLANEOUS FEATURES
TRAFFIC STATS
ACCESS RAW LOG FILE

Eugene,

The technicals sound good on brinkster, but do you have personal experiance with them? I'm tired of VERIZON'S POOR SERVICE but want my next host to be tried and true.

EDIT: Checked the site out and it loaded fast wich bodes well but I didn't see any mention of a shopping cart. I don't absolutley need one right now but in the futore...

Zippy

I am slowly ramping my personal site up wit

1&1 Hosting

Simce this is my personal page, I am using el-cheapo $4.95 a month LINUX hosting. I have had no reason to use their tech support however I have had no problems.

Ir would be worth giving them a peek.

A

Hospital_Rocket,

I think you posted a bad link. I'm not getting anything except the error page from IE. LINUX hosting is very common and very well integrated from what I've heard, something to do with the server code as with most LINUX being free open source. Take that Bill.

uhmm, i dont know if it helps, but the link in my sig "clan site" and scroll down on the front page (sorry about the evil pwning popup) theres webhosting... GP, the webmaster is real good and flexible

rabidsheeep,
Never mind hosting, what is the game? Have you tried Steel Panthers World At War?

Hospital_Rocket,
Yes the link works now. I'll look at it in more depth soon although it's a dollar more than the going rate. If it has a shopping cart that would be eventually worth the buck tho'.

why not host it yourself....

if you have a high speed internet connection, why not install a webserver app on your box and run your server right from your desktop??

Thats what i've been doing for several years now.

I dont want to waste space here, but if you email me off list, I can give you some pointers for setting up things on your system.

there are two ways to go... Apache, or Microsoft IIS either is fine depending on what you want to do.... apache certainly has more "open source" options available to you.. you just have to tinker a bit more with the setup.

I use Godaddy.com for domain registrations.... pretty cheap if you go with a 3 year... I just noticed that they also have a 3.95 per month hosting option..but have not looked into it... as like I said earlier, i host it myself. That way, your also only limited by storage space on your hard drive for storage...

bad side... you have to leave your system on 24/7, but with a good UPS, your better of doing that anyway...

later
Jerryb

jerryb,
I did consider that and I do have a DSL connection that works pretty good but I was unwilling to have the comp run 24 a day and too cheap to buy the software. I have a UPS but the processor is only 1.2 ghz and running server plus what ever else I might want to run will probably fry this machine.

Originally posted by Zippy
Eugene,

The technicals sound good on brinkster, but do you have personal experiance with them? I'm tired of VERIZON'S POOR SERVICE but want my next host to be tried and true.

EDIT: Checked the site out and it loaded fast wich bodes well but I didn't see any mention of a shopping cart. I don't absolutley need one right now but in the futore...

Zippy, I actually use both 1&1 (HERC website) and Brinkster. I haven't flexed all of Brinkster's options yet, but their service came as a referral from a reputable source. A lot of DB developers use Brinkster for .ASP hosting. Go to Brinkster and use their live sales support. Someone will respond in the chat window almost immediately. If you don't feel like chatting online, give their 1-800 sales line a call. Their support has been phenomenal anytime I've ever called.

...and yes, I've hosted from home and taken advantage of Terminal Services too. Kinda cool. Check out www.no-ip.com for free DNS/IP routing.

Well thats good to know. I did book mark both of them and will delve further in before I select a sucker...err I mean a worthy storage facillitator.

bf1942 zippy

also bfv and cod and we have a ut04 server running for some odd reason

Originally posted by rabidsheeep
bf1942 zippy

also bfv and cod and we have a ut04 server running for some odd reason

You lost me on that. Is it something to do with SPWAW?
Battle Front 1942?

PS:
You said you like to use notepad for webdesign.
Try this
https://www.evrsoft.com/
Download the free version of firstpage. youll love it.
You can write everything just like on notepad but with a single mouseclick you can preview your site.
Has a bunch of preloaded scripts too.
If I remember right it can do FTP transfers as well.

battlefield 1942, battlefield vietnam, call of duty, and unreal tournament 2004

missileman - hosting revolution looks interesting, I'll have to check them out a bit more. I'll probably never download the evr thing though since I'm a stubburn notepad user. :)

rabidsheep - I have the original Unreal, it is Unreal when playing on line with or against other humans. I've never seen any other game work as well as Unreal does in multiplayer.

ok well since this thread has already been hijacked...

i dont play cod much, when i do its with my 1942 allied the fifth|

R@b!d$#EEEp when i do

back to webhosting...

right right... webhosting... I just signed up with globat. they have great customer service, I am just having problems transferring over my domain name.

Originally posted by Zippy
jerryb,
I did consider that and I do have a DSL connection that works pretty good but I was unwilling to have the comp run 24 a day and too cheap to buy the software. I have a UPS but the processor is only 1.2 ghz and running server plus what ever else I might want to run will probably fry this machine.

I run mine on a 1.7ghz system with 512mb ram... not a beefy pc by any means of todays monsters.... and it runs just fine...

what software do you need to buy?? the stuff I use is opensource... so... by definition...its FREE...

i can understand your not wanting to leave it on 24/7 though...

good luck whatever you put together on the project.

later
Jerryb

Check out the hosting offered through the ads on rocketryonline.com If it makes them anything, using them would be keeping it in the "family".

Back