Weatherproofing?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigL

Reaction score
Are there any methods (coating with special substance) that would keep my rockets from being desintegrated by rain? I am asking this because I have lost many rockets only to find them later but they are damaged by water. I would also like to waterproof the rockets so they could land in snow, etc during the winter.

You don't mention the composition of your projects so it's difficult to provide a succinct answer. The short answer is "not really".
The long answer depends on the materials involved. If yer talking about the average Estes type cardboard tube kit the best thing you can do is saturate the edges of the tube(s) with thin CA. It won't give you long term protection from the elements but if you land in a water filled cattle hoofprint it might keep the tube from sucking up too much water. There isn't much you can do about the inside of the tube, it's too hard to reach and coating entirely would add a lot of weight. The best answer is to find them faster.

Haven't tested it, but you might want to consider a coat of Future...you can brush or airbrush it on. It will give the rocket a nice shine and with the paint should provide at least limited protection from the elements, without adding much extra weight.

HTH

Doug

Back