We want to launch my late brother's ashes...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How's it going, oldeflame? Have you figured out what you're going to do yet?

Thanks to all who replied with your generous help and suggestions.

We successfully launched my brother's ashes mixed with tracking powder in a two-stage LoadStar II rocket. His grandson pressed the button to launch.

The scattering occurred very satisfactorily, with enough height to be impressive but still good visibility of the ashes for the onlookers. A beautiful day on the water for our ceremony.
We had a toast to my brother's memory with glasses engraved with his name, the dates and the motto [FONT=&quot]Sic itur ad astra [/FONT][FONT=&quot]which means, thus we travel to the stars.[/FONT]

AArocket.jpg

Sorry to hear of your loss.

One of the key things to remember is not to overload your rocket, and don't forget to pack the ashes as far to the forward as possible... If loose, they'd try to settle in the back of the rocket, and if there's too much weight back there, the rocket will not perform as expected.

Higher power rockets can lift more, but again, you want to make sure that the weight added doesn't cause the rocket to become unstable and create a hazard to those present.

I would suggest nailing down how much of the remains are going to be launched, and then get back to us. A number of us can then simulate the rocket, and tell you if you are going to be safe, and what kind of flight performance you can expect.

God Bless!
Jim

Sorry to hear of your loss.

One of the key things to remember is not to overload your rocket, and don't forget to pack the ashes as far to the forward as possible... If loose, they'd try to settle in the back of the rocket, and if there's too much weight back there, the rocket will not perform as expected.

Higher power rockets can lift more, but again, you want to make sure that the weight added doesn't cause the rocket to become unstable and create a hazard to those present.

I would suggest nailing down how much of the remains are going to be launched, and then get back to us. A number of us can then simulate the rocket, and tell you if you are going to be safe, and what kind of flight performance you can expect.

God Bless!
Jim

Jim, please read the last post. It's already over.

Give him a break, he's reading it upside down since he's in China. :wink:

I'm glad the launch went well oldeflame. Nice touch on the engraved glasses.

Hello Rocketry Forum! I'm new to the forum, but played have played with Estes model rockets for may years.

I'd like to bump this thread because I'm looking to accomplish the same task. I can always start another thread if the forum prefers.

I guess I'm seeking the best method to modify an Estes Loadstar II so that there is a beautiful show at the peak of its ascent. If anyone has good advice on what to chop/ modify I'd really appreciate it.

TIA

Luke

Hello Rocketry Forum! I'm new to the forum, but played have played with Estes model rockets for may years.

I'd like to bump this thread because I'm looking to accomplish the same task. I can always start another thread if the forum prefers.

I guess I'm seeking the best method to modify an Estes Loadstar II so that there is a beautiful show at the peak of its ascent. If anyone has good advice on what to chop/ modify I'd really appreciate it.

TIA

Luke
There's this alternative now... https://www.erockets.biz/altaira-rocketry-flying-model-rocket-kit-the-cremator-alt-1702/

At BALLS in 2019 we launchEd the remains of a member and wife. Was 11 pounds. 8” diameter rocket, AT M1939.

AE846E1D-E048-4898-8D05-64B75994B492.jpeg

Back