We need NC-20 Nose Cones!!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Byron.A.Young

Reaction score
Hi my name is Byron and I'm an Aerospace Engineering student at the University of Colorado. I recently started a rocket outreach program aimed towards elementary school students, but we've run into a few problems. After 6 outreaches (7 after tomorrow), and around 30 rockets, we've been having trouble finding a good source for materials.

The main problem is a good source of NC-20 nose cones, I've bought out every store within 60 miles of CU, and bought out an online store, and we might not have enough nose cones for tomorrow's outreach. Does anyone have a huge amount of these nose cones that they would be willing to donate or sell to our program?

It would be equally helpful is someone knew a good way to buy these nose cones in bulk. I'm really surprised how expensive these tiny pieces of plastic are. Anyway send me an email or give me a call, or just reply to this thread. Thanks for the help and I look forward to contributing to this forum! Eventually I'll post a few more pictures of our program.

IMGP1206.JPG

IMGP1219_2.jpg

IMGP1220.JPG

IMGP1230.JPG

Last edited:
contact semroc they are not only wounderful people but they have great prices.
you could also buy the estes viking bulk packs here or one or the quest bulk kits here or switch to paper rockets like the ones form fliskits here to help get them started. the caution is a great starter rocket for kids. hope this helps

Welcome to TRF. There are a bunch of us here that work with youth through churches, scouts, 4-H, etc. Please feel free to ask questions and to explore out database. Sadly, due to a crash, much of our extensive archive was lost (although we still have a glimmer of hope for recovery) but the people are still here. Folks here have tried a lot of stuff and purchased from just about every known supplier. Good luck with the kids and I'm sure a few others will weigh in with answers and suggestions.

Hi my name is Byron and I'm an Aerospace Engineering student at the University of Colorado. I recently started a rocket outreach program aimed towards elementary school students, but we've run into a few problems. After 6 outreaches (7 after tomorrow), and around 30 rockets, we've been having trouble finding a good source for materials.

The main problem is a good source of NC-20 nose cones, I've bought out every store within 60 miles of CU, and bought out an online store, and we might not have enough nose cones for tomorrow's outreach. Does anyone have a huge amount of these nose cones that they would be willing to donate or sell to our program?

It would be equally helpful is someone knew a good way to buy these nose cones in bulk. I'm really surprised how expensive these tiny pieces of plastic are. Anyway send me an email or give me a call, or just reply to this thread. Thanks for the help and I look forward to contributing to this forum! Eventually I'll post a few more pictures of our program.

Byron if you can send me your needs in an email or PM we will try to help you out.

If you can use BT-50 size NC's instead (24mm, or 'D' engine size), i have over 50 i'm prepared to give away to a worthy cause like yours.

Many of us who do individual as well as Club sponsered youth outreach programs like yours all have the same problem......Finding or creating inexpensive Nosecones.

If you really have to have a balsa or plastic NC, your gonna pay pretty big money for them even in bulk at any size, even in BT-5 sizes.

If on the other hand you can get away with a conical cone, or a roughly shaped cone it's possible to use SM Blue or pink Styrofoam, or a combination of Styrofoam shoulder with a cardstock or paper conical rolled cone for the job. Both work well and Cost pennies to produce. The Trade off is Time.

Hope this helps a little, Keep up the great work!

Last edited:
Byron,

FlisKits may be able to help, but you are right about the cost. The nose cone (balsa or plastic) is one of the most expensive parts of a model rocket...

You can reach me through our FlisKits site.

Oh, and thank you for working this program! :) It is good to see another rocketeer taking the time to bring rocketry to the kids :) Keep it up!

jim

Wow! This is huge amount of response for a thread started 8 hours ago. Thanks a lot for all of the suggestions I'll talk them over with all of the other volunteers.

We've got another one this morning I'll post some pictures in the next day or so.

If on the other hand you can get away with a conical cone, or a roughly shaped cone it's possible to use SM Blue or pink Styrofoam, or a combination of Styrofoam shoulder with a cardstock or paper conical rolled cone for the job. Both work well and Cost pennies to produce. The Trade off is Time.
!

Could plastic Easter eggs work? They're readily available this time of year, cheap, and come in a variety of sizes.

Welcome to TRF Byron. Loved seeing the pictures of your classes!

Could plastic Easter eggs work? They're readily available this time of year, cheap, and come in a variety of sizes.

Absolutely; if you can find eggs in about the right size. We Scrounge the Dollar Stores all the time looking for 1/2" (Bt-5) or 3/4" (Bt-20) diameter size eggs, These smaller sizes have often been hard to come by, most are larger, but do work for larger bodied Bt-50/55 egglofters with Standoff launch lugs;) Styrofoam Shoulders can work will on easter eggs as well.

So do some Bottle tops or bottoms and other things like plastic party glass stems, finger bowls and such...Searching the Craft and Dollar Store isles can turn up all kinds of funny things that'll work, but again they tend to be most fitting for larger model bodies.

What timing! Starlight has PNC7's (same as Estes PNC20 But I like Centuri's numbering system BT7=0.75 BT20=?) for the month of March. Check out our Super Special page on our web site
Mr. Bob
Starlightski
www.starlightrocketry.com

If you can use BT-50 size NC's instead (24mm, or 'D' engine size), i have over 50 i'm prepared to give away to a worthy cause like yours.
I'm doing rockets with a Cub Scout Pack next month and would be grateful beyond expression if you would be willing to help out. PM on the way.

That's brilliant! Thanks for the tip I'll go get some tomorrow.

Absolutely; if you can find eggs in about the right size. We Scrounge the Dollar Stores all the time looking for 1/2" (Bt-5) or 3/4" (Bt-20) diameter size eggs, These smaller sizes have often been hard to come by, most are larger, but do work for larger bodied Bt-50/55 egglofters with Standoff launch lugs;) Styrofoam Shoulders can work will on easter eggs as well.

So do some Bottle tops or bottoms and other things like plastic party glass stems, finger bowls and such...Searching the Craft and Dollar Store isles can turn up all kinds of funny things that'll work, but again they tend to be most fitting for larger model bodies.

I think eventually I'll just make a rocket made completely out of dollar store merchandise. I could call it Macgyver.

Many of us who do individual as well as Club sponsered youth outreach programs like yours all have the same problem......Finding or creating inexpensive Nosecones.

If you really have to have a balsa or plastic NC, your gonna pay pretty big money for them even in bulk at any size, even in BT-5 sizes.

Hope this helps a little, Keep up the great work!

We might be able to do this before every outreach. We try to fit the entire process, from design to launch, into around 2-2.5 hours. Thanks for the tip!

You can do alot with paper towel tube & toilet paper tubes w/easter egg nose cones. My kids, their friends and myself have built quite a few. They go together quickly providing you have the centering rings (cardboard) & tubes pre-cut and engine tubes pre-rolled (110lb cardstock). Nose cone shoulders can also be made with cardstock. For shock cords I use 1/8" elastic with simple tri-fold mounts in the egg and body tube. I've even made baffles for them as well since it takes alot of wadding to protect the chutes. Speaking of chutes, I use white kitchen or black trash bags cut in 14"x14" squares and kite string for shroud lines on the kits I've put together for the neighborhood kids and rocket parties we've done. Total cost per rocket is about $1.00 including glue and a swivel for the chute, unfinished ofcourse.

A couple tips that I do is:

Take a 75/25 mixture of white glue and water and brush out the tubes prior and let them dry. I use an old 6D Maglight wapped in paper to build up the diameter and then wax paper on the outer layer so it doesn't stick. I use and old 1" wide bristle paint brush for application. It makes a geat mandrel for reshaping the tubes since they are rarely without dings. It also stiffens up the tubes a little.

Make sure the inside of the nose cone is sanded otherwise plastic cement won't adhere. I prefer to use epoxy as some of the easter eggs don't react as well as one would think they would to Testors plastic cement. Also sand the outside of the egg for proper paint adhesion.

Maricopasem has done a ton of TP tube rockets. I'm sure he'd be glad to show off a few. We need to get together at an SSS event and have some Poop Tube races....lol

Here are a couple pics of the ones we've done as well as a link to a recent kit I've assembled for my boy's 6th birthday present.

I'm also a big fan of the Fliskits Caution Rocket. I still haven't been able to get the Nebula to fly right after two different attempts. The Art Applewhite 13mm Saucers are great as well as the many different cardstock models available, all for FREE.

I think "using what you've got" helps develop creativity and lets the kids learn that they don't always have to spend money to make neat crafts.

_MG_7282r.jpg

_MG_7291r.jpg

DSC02795r.JPG

Attachments

• DSC02794r.JPG
    DSC02794r.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Maricopasem has done a ton of TP tube rockets. I'm sure he'd be glad to show off a few. We need to get together at an SSS event and have some Poop Tube races....lol
Poop tube races -- that's classic. It sounds like the featured event at a proctologist convention. :D

Almost all of my builds are scratch using El Cheapo's same materials. With a little creativity you can make some great rockets for pennies. Attached are just a few of mine.

Creative_Cones.jpg

101.jpg

100_0334.jpg

Goblin05.jpg

100_0427.jpg

The Art Applewhite 13mm Saucers are great as well as the many different cardstock models available, all for FREE.

One summer we made some saucers from Art's free patterns (both the cardstock and the Hefty plate kinds) and took them along to the 4-H launch at the fair. The kids were all over those--they loved 'em! It's obviously not the same building experience but it's fun and it's cheap. At the advice from someone here we snazzed the cardstock saucers up by using some heavy cardstock folders. One of the folders was silver holographic and it made a really cool looking saucer. They would make a fun demo if nothing else.

Did you wind up having enough nosecones for last week's outreach?

Bryon and Pippen;
To expand just a little on what we were talking about earlier. "Easter Egg nose cones"

After a visit to Micheals and the dollar store this afternoon.
We came up with a bag of small rubberish easter eggs the are just about 3/4" in diameter. 2.00 a dozen:)

razor sawing up an spent 18mm motor casting I made 3/8" shoulders added a little piece of nylon cord as an attachment anchor and connected all this with a tiny bit of 5minute epoxy to create some very nice little "soft-tip" BT-to nosecone.
Total cost about .33 each including the devcon epoxy tube. They aren't as pretty as some of el cheapo's creations but they sure could be something done pretty quickly for a mass project;)
I have some pics but haven't gotten them out of the camera yet. If anyones intrested I'll post them later.

They aren't as pretty as some of el cheapo's creations but they sure could be something done pretty quickly for a mass project;)

Awww, shucks.....you're makin' me blush. That's quite a compliment from a Lifer like yourself.

BTW, the first version I built (like the black/pink striped one) flies great on A3-4T's and A10-3T's. The black and pink verson and the Y-wing fly on 18mm. In retrospect, we had a drag race between the 13mm and 18mm models and the 13mm got a bit more height than the 18mm version with an A8-3.

not sure about other states but here our party stores sell easter stuff year round and you can specl order too

I have some pics but haven't gotten them out of the camera yet. If anyones intrested I'll post them later.

Really, Micromeister, as if we wouldn't want pictures. ;)

This is all Very Impressive Cheap!

I'm surprised that the cardstock shoulders hold up well but it sounds like there's no problem with that. I have some nifty hard plastic eggs (that strangely enough came filled with slime) tucked into the rocketry boxes because I thought they'd work well provided I could find a way to fit them. But those will have to wait because I've already chosen my next project: a bunny Cloud Hopper. Pink!

Really, Micromeister, as if we wouldn't want pictures. ;)

This is all Very Impressive Cheap!

I'm surprised that the cardstock shoulders hold up well but it sounds like there's no problem with that. I have some nifty hard plastic eggs (that strangely enough came filled with slime) tucked into the rocketry boxes because I thought they'd work well provided I could find a way to fit them. But those will have to wait because I've already chosen my next project: a bunny Cloud Hopper. Pink!
Cardboard has worked great for me. I typically make my own from several layers of cardstock and they hold up just fine.

Back