WCR Screamer II - John Deere

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
I did a build thread on this rocket on TRF1 and it can be found here: https://www.rocketryforumarchive.com/showthread.php?t=47695

It had not flown in a long time.

I test out a "sister rocket", the West Coast screamer yesterday which is almost the same except for the length of the payload bay. I called that one the Jane Doe because its color scheme complemented this one, the John Deere.

It had a nice flight on a Roadrunner F45-5.

A video of the flight can be seen here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/23694991@N03/3626226559/

jd-f1a.jpg

jd-f1b.jpg

Since I took out my WCR Screamer, Jane Doe, I figured I had to take out the Screamer II, John Deere as well. It too got a Roadrunner F45-8 and was taken to the pad.

John-Deere-f1a.jpg

John-Deere-f1b.jpg

John-Deere-f1c.jpg

The leap off the pad was pretty near instantaneous as well.

John-Deere-f1e.jpg

John-Deere-f1f.jpg

John-Deere-f1g.jpg

John-Deere-f1h.jpg

What did not seem instantaneous was the 8 second delay. This rocket is heavier than the Screamer I but seemed to coast farther with the same motor. I had worried that the delay was too long.

John-Deere-f1i.jpg

John-Deere-f1j.jpg

John-Deere-f1k.jpg

John-Deere-f1l.jpg

John-Deere-f1m.jpg

The delay was just about right, however, and the chute popped at apogee. It then began to drift down, coming closer and closer instead of farther and farther.

John-Deere-f1n.jpg

John-Deere-f1o.jpg

John-Deere-f1p.jpg

John-Deere-f1q.jpg

John-Deere-f1r.jpg

It landed really close. That does a lot to make up for being a pretty generic 3FNC.

John-Deere-f1s.jpg

looks good - :)

I recall seeing these on EMRR, good work .

I have a Screamer kit in the bag - in fact the other Screamer review on EMRR ( by Nick HIlls ) was a kit he got from myself as well.

always liked thier stuff, rugged, if generic birds.

might have to dig that out - like I need another build ... sigh .

~ AL

looks good - :)

I recall seeing these on EMRR, good work .

I have a Screamer kit in the bag - in fact the other Screamer review on EMRR ( by Nick HIlls ) was a kit he got from myself as well.

always liked thier stuff, rugged, if generic birds.

might have to dig that out - like I need another build ... sigh .

~ AL

Thanks.

One of the EMRR reviews is this particular rocket.

I have a few more WCR sitting in the pacakges.

One of these days...

Last edited:
My Screamer flight with Tripoli Houston redeemed a bad day so I decided to try the Screamer II with a bit more power. I put in a Roadrunner G80-10 and got clearance to take it out to the pad.

JD-f0a.jpg

JD-f0b.jpg

It didn't look too bad sitting there and that was a good thing because it sat and sat. Then it sat some more while they tried to figure out the wiring problems. THen it sat some while a hybrid needed to get off ASAP. Then it sat because the batteries went kaput. Finally, it sat some more because it was late, hot and nobody had the energy to do anything else about it.

I would try again the next day.

JD-f0c.jpg

The last flight of my "vacation" in Hearne was the Screamer II that failed to get off the day before. It still had a Roadrunner G80-10 loaded and I took it to the pad.

jd-f1a.jpg

jd-f1b.jpg

jd-f1c.jpg

jd-f1d.jpg

This time ignition came right away and the rocket lifted off.

jd-f1e.jpg

I lost rack of the rocket during the coast phase but finally managed to catch a wisp of tracking smoke. I could see the smoke but I could not see the rocket.

jd-f1k.jpg

jd-f1l.jpg

For a while, it seemed that the 10 second delay charge had been accidently replaced with a 10 minute one but we eventually saw a puff and heard the pop a few seconds later.

jd-f1m.jpg

jd-f1n.jpg

There seemed to be another intolerable wait before I caught a glimpse of the orange chute. THen all seemed well as the rocket drifted down.

jd-f1o.jpg

jd-f1p.jpg

jd-f1q.jpg

jd-f1r.jpg

Fortunately for me, it seemed that despite the altitude, the rocket would land nearby.

jd-f1s.jpg

jd-f1t.jpg

The rocket sustained no damage and needed only repacking and another motor to fly again...but it was too HOT!

jd-f1u.jpg

jd-f1v.jpg

Back