Watermelon Jet

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. That's nuts. How did he come up with the idea in the first place. Siting around drinking with his friends. Hey, I bet I can make a rocket out of a watermelon. Ya, right. Your drunk.

That was ingeniously stupid enough. I wonder how many potentially expensive cameras that he whipped out?

A buddy of mine sent me the YouTube link to the watermelon jet this morning. Interesting and disturbing.

I never knew sparklers could be purchased in such quantities?

Funny thing is most states are ok with sparklers. Just goes to show, everything in moderation.

Last edited:
A buddy of mine sent me the YouTube link to the watermelon jet this morning. Interesting and disturbing.

I never knew sparklers could be purchased in such quantities.

Funny thing is most states are ok with sparklers. Just goes to show, everything in moderation.
He's probably on a Homeland Security watch list now.

1. That actually worked better than I expected, especially the line rocket watermelon at the beginning.

2. It almost makes me want to try it with a safer means of propulsion. Tight bundles of sparklers can easily explode quite violently. The 2nd clips shows this, but if they were contained more than a single zip tie, the reaction would have been a lot quicker.

3. Incidently, I've seen more injuries from sparklers than all other legal, consumer fireworks combined. Wire sparklers cause quite a few injuries, are legal almost everywhere, and people don't bat an eye giving a burning white hot piece of metal to poorly supervised children.

This is all well and good....Until....
Some kids see this and for the 4th this year all they want is a ton of sparklers.
One kid says to the other, but we ain't got no watermelon...what do we do?
Another kid says, My dad has a bunch of scrap metal in the garage that has some pipe in it.
I foresee some kids with serious burns, copper pipe ruptures and host of injuries.
Now, if I would have seen this when I was a kid, or had the idea, it would be fine because back then we had common sense.
I'm afraid a lot of kids these days have little common sense. I see it every day by just looking out my window.
Maybe I'm too old and cautious, but in today's world I see this as something kids shouldn't be able to see.
Too many will have their own ideas and try and take it to the next level like some kind of video game.
I'll be watching to news to hear how some kids tried this and what kind of injuries they received.

This is all well and good....Until....
Some kids see this and for the 4th this year all they want is a ton of sparklers.
One kid says to the other, but we ain't got no watermelon...what do we do?
Another kid says, My dad has a bunch of scrap metal in the garage that has some pipe in it.
I foresee some kids with serious burns, copper pipe ruptures and host of injuries.
Now, if I would have seen this when I was a kid, or had the idea, it would be fine because back then we had common sense.
I'm afraid a lot of kids these days have little common sense. I see it every day by just looking out my window.
Maybe I'm too old and cautious, but in today's world I see this as something kids shouldn't be able to see.
Too many will have their own ideas and try and take it to the next level like some kind of video game.
I'll be watching to news to hear how some kids tried this and what kind of injuries they received.
More likely to be someone around 20-35. If they contain a bundle of sparklers tightly in metal it won't be burns and you probably won't be reading about "injuries" and instead fatalities.

Back