Water Waiver Photos

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great Mark! I hope nothing but the best for your project. It sure looks interesting.
I was wondering about some things though...

Do you know if CTI is planning on marketing the 54mm K1000's that you mentioned? they sure sound like cool motors........

Do you have any specs on the final rockets? will they use altimiters in them, or will you use motor ejection? since they look like they will end up being single use rockets, will the booster part of the rockets have parachutes?

Thanks.

-Brian Barney

Dear Brian,

CTI is developing a Pro54 line as we speak. Keep an eye on the Pro38 web site for updates. There is a time consuming certification process before they can deliver hobby engines.

As far as specs... tentatively... the bottom half of the rocket will be the K-1000 engine casing, with no body tube around it. There will be a fin ring that slips on the bottom of the engine casing... probably a circular/ring fin. Above the engine, the rocket tapers to the 1+3/8" OD aluminum tube that holds the sonde and a bit of wadding. That's it. No electronics other than what's in the sonde itself.

We've asked CTI to make our special K-1,000 engines include a recovery charge with about a 24 second delay fuse.

The entire rocket is expended each launch. The sonde has a little orange chute that you can see in one of the photos. So it gets and transmits lots of weather data before it sinks in the ocean. The rest of the mostly aluminum rocket falls in the ocean and sinks with no recovery. The location of the buoys will be marked on air and sea charts to keep people safely away.

I've read all the posts on your project with great interest. I would like to raise one point though.

As your bouys have enough rockets for a year of launches some of the rockets will be sat there for quite a while. You describe the weather as sunny and hot so as parachute will be stored inside the rocket for upto a year, surely you will have problems with parachutes sticking and not unfurling correctly?

Since your rockets are single use rockets it doesn't matter so much if they are damaged but would it be able to collect and transmit all of the information it needed to in a shortened length of time?

I'm sure you and your team have thought of this and many other problems (all I hope have solutions too.)

Good Luck on your project.

Dear Mike,

The chute that comes with the Viasala sonde doesn't seem to have that problem. We've got way bigger problems than that: Like the engine propellent or igniter absorbing condensation... How to hermetically seal the ends of the launch tubes in a way that can withstand huge waves, hot sun, and every temperature, yet allow the rocket to punch out easily... How to make the electronics on the buoy stand up to the salt environment... how to make the propellent perform at sub-freezing temperatures... How to get continued funding... How to keep the humidity sensor in the sonde from being contaminated with plastic, composite, and propellent fumes.

We have found tentative solutions to these and dozens of other problems we have anticipated.

Sounds like you do have your problems and I guess its a real challenge to get 365 rockets to live on a bouy for a year, sounds like one of those reality TV programmes :D

Back