Water Rocket Recall

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prowlerguy

Reaction score
I saw a sign in Wal-Mart's toy department that the Super Soaker water rockets that were sold this summer have been recalled. If you bought one for your kids (or know anyone who did), you may want to check this out.

Details here

Huh? A 7 foot tall rocket power by air pressure and water and used by kids standing two feet away has safety issues? Who knew??? :eek:

Anyway, it is terrible that kids got hurt by that. Hope everything turned out OK for them.

I've seen those before, I always thought it would have been cool to modify one to fly on a conventional 24mm E or F composite rocket motor.:D

It's too bad that some people got hurt but since I have seen a display model, I thought it would have been completely harmless, obviously not.

According to estes site,, parts break on the pump handle and then you get badly cut. Plus the end comes off the rocket and pokes your eye out.

I believe that you were thinking of the Estes Air Powered rockets which did have issues of their own that lead to a recall but this was a completely different product made by Hasbro. This was a huge 7 foot tall rocket powered by pressurized air and water.

Just my .02 cents.;)

See what happens when you go cheap on materials? FlisKits and Shrox will never have that problem...

Hmm, you mean if something goes up, it might come down? and if I'm lucky enough, it'll come down where I'm standing? And with enough force, an edge might break my fagile skin?

And if I overpressurize something, it might burst?

Hmm, better go test this theory with my 'lawn darts'.. back in a jiff..

I remember back when I was a kid, those plastic water rockets were a TON of fun. The standard model was about 8" long and flew about 130-150 ft. The "deluxe" model had a parachute on it, and went about the same height.

Did we cut our wet little fingers on the sharp plastic? You bet we did! Did we care? Of course not, we were too busy trying to fly it again! Did we ever get careless about where it was pointed when we launched it? Well, yeah, a few times, but rescuing it from the muck of the nearby marsh taught us to keep it straight up. Heck, these things didn't even have a remote launcher - you had to pull the trigger directly under the "exhaust" end.

Man I miss those toys...

WW

Originally posted by wwattles
I remember back when I was a kid, those plastic water rockets were a TON of fun. The standard model was about 8" long and flew about 130-150 ft. The "deluxe" model had a parachute on it, and went about the same height.

Did we cut our wet little fingers on the sharp plastic? You bet we did! Did we care? Of course not, we were too busy trying to fly it again! Did we ever get careless about where it was pointed when we launched it? Well, yeah, a few times, but rescuing it from the muck of the nearby marsh taught us to keep it straight up. Heck, these things didn't even have a remote launcher - you had to pull the trigger directly under the "exhaust" end.

Man I miss those toys...

WW

Yup... I loved those water rockets. Went thru a barrel of 'em during my youth. I even had a two stage one that was the bomb!!!!

... Wipes tear from his eye....

;-)

TonyF

Latest posts

Back