Watch out for the Red Baron!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n3tjm

Papa Elf
Reaction score
He is back for more!

Will Snoopy ever get any rest?

Red_Baron.jpg

You must be on a building and painting frenzy, Doug! Lotsa rockets finished in the span of a couple of weeks!

Great job on it! She looks awesome! I love Snoopy!

Jason

Very nice Doug. Glider types is on the list of "things I gotta fly".

Originally posted by flying_silverad
Wow. really nice finish doug...looks like a great job.

yea, and not a bad job on Snoopy either :p

Can't wait to see it fly ... (whitakers??)

Thanks Jim :)

Yeah... Whitakers... assuming I can trim the glider without wrecking it. I will put it up on its maiden flight with a 1/2A6-2. Short, sweet, less walk ;)

Nice work Doug! I'll be looking forward to watching it fly next weekend. (Whoa, doesn't that sound wierd to hear and say?) It'll be nice to meet you in person finally.

Thanks :). I look forward to meeting you guys too :). I am having some problems trimming her... it tumbles end over end :(. Before painting, she was nose heavy... now I can't tell :(. Anybody have any idea where the CG should be for this bird?

With my Flying Jenny which is very similar to the Red Baron I had to use a lot of weight at the rear to get it to fly straight.

With the motor so far forward it should have a good stability margin. I've flown my Flying Jenny on a Quest B6-4 with no trouble. It doesn't like the wind though.

Originally posted by n3tjm
Thanks :). I look forward to meeting you guys too :). I am having some problems trimming her... it tumbles end over end :(. Before painting, she was nose heavy... now I can't tell :(. Anybody have any idea where the CG should be for this bird?

If it tumbles, then you don't have enough weight in the nose for the glider. Just keep adding a little bit of weight at a time until it levels out (unless you are able to trim elevons or something on the wings themselves).

Try this:

Balance the model upside down by the lower spar. Get the balance point about 1/4" ahead of the leading edge of the lower wing.

This should get you in the ball park and you can make minor adjustments form there.

Great looking job BTW. But I call foul because it looks better than mine. :)

What folks have been telling you is all good advice, but one thing is missing...

...when they suggest that you "add/remove weight in little increments", they mean LITTLE!

or, should that be "little "... :)

your glider does not weigh much. Only very small changes in balance can have a great effect on the trim. Be gentle and go in very small steps for good trim.

jim

That's very true. I do a glide test before each flight. The residue from the ejection charge of the previous flight can affect the trim.

Nice job Doug. I hope you have better luck with yours than I did with mine. On my final flight, the top wing broke off and it crashed and was pretty much destroyed. RATS!!!:mad: I really liked it too.

My Red Baron did not get a chance to fly :(. A couple weeks ago, a young lady from Oregon (four years older than me) that I met on the internet was in the Boston area, so she came up here to visit me. She and I share a lot of common interests (and habbits), one of them was rockets.

It was getting late, and I wanted to fly a Composite motor for her. So i was digging for a F40 load for my UFO, and I didn't realize it but I bumped my Red Baron onto the floor. Next thing I know, I hear the sound of a size 13 steal toe boot steeping on balsa....

I felt sick :(.

I will see if I can fix it... but it will look like snoopy got his shots in :(.

I built mine many moons ago. Very unique and interesting design.

It's still in one piece, thank goodness :)

Pic:
Flying_Jenny.jpg

Sorry to hear n3tjm :(

How bout a CRUNCH photo. Something to compare it to when you get it back together.
We could start a "Red Baron from the Dead" Thread.:p

Originally posted by n3tjm
Next thing I know, I hear the sound of a size 13 steal toe boot steeping on balsa....
I felt sick :(.
I will see if I can fix it... but it will look like snoopy got his shots in :(.

OOOOOOH, Major bummer!
Better re-name it "Snoopy's revenge" after you fix/rebuild it :p

Back