Was there ever a Blue Max?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetMan

Reaction score
I seem to recall seeing a "Blue Max" version of der Red Max somewhere. Was this a mod or was there ever a kit for this????

Thanks!

MetMan

I remember it too - it was a mod. Even had different shaped fins.

Estes never produced a Blue Max - but the mod that was posted sure was cool!

A company named "original rockets "? had an upscale red max kit called the blue max...I can't seem to find the website anymore

OKTurbo has a nice grey/white/black camo pattern on one of his DRMs too.

It seems like I remember reading somewhere, or hearing somewhere, that original rockets was somehow tied in with, bought out by, ect., Fat Cat rockets. I might be wrong, because it's been quite some time.

Originally posted by mkmilion
So I'm guessing they're out of business, eh?
You, are correct, sir. They've been out of business since the late '90's if I'm not mistaken. I've got a built Das Blue Max sitting here. I never put the decals on. One of these days I'll get them scanned and posted on Ye Olde Rocket Plans.

I did a knockoff of the Red Max last summer. It was a test bed for several things. I had just bought a new wood lathe, so the first nosecone went on it. I had just bought my first batch of Bel decal paper, so I made my first decals for it. I also tried Future Floor Polish as a clearcoat for the first time on it.

Here is a shot of the rocket along with a normal Red Max clone. The color is not accurate in this image. The blue and red colors are much deeper and smooth. I've since actually learned how to use the digital camera. :D

Hi Gang,

Excelsior is getting back on its feet again... finally...

But I do have a Blue Max decal sheet if anyone is interested.... I just have not had the time to set up a section on the website for one-off decal sets like this....

Email me if you would like one.

Originally posted by tbzep
I I also tried Future Floor Polish as a clearcoat for the first time on it.

So what's your opinion of the Future?

S..

Originally posted by Bushrat
So what's your opinion of the Future?

S..

I really like it. It's easy to use, doesn't ruin my paint job, and looks great!

Well, tbzep - I gave the Future floor polish a try, and here's the result. I think it came out swell. And there must be enough left over to polish up every other rocket in my fleet. By the way - it had no effect on the paint color. That was my little twist. It's a clone, but I wanted to give it just a little bit of originality. I haven't flown her yet - but I can hardly wait to see how she goes on a D12-5.

S..

Metman,

I think this may be what you were looking for. Enjoy!

Rushrat,

I thought you'd like it!

A few other pluses...it's cheap and it's available locally...and you can do your kitchen floor with it too. :D

Originally posted by tbzep
Rushrat,

I thought you'd like it!

A few other pluses...it's cheap and it's available locally...and you can do your kitchen floor with it too. :D

Just don't tell me it's also a dessert topping. :)

S..

Back