Wart-Hog Help...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flying_silverad

Reaction score
I am getting ready to install the motor mount into the body tube but I don't really know if the shock cord is durable enough to leave stock.
Anybody have any experience with the life span of a stock Aerotec shock cord that's just tied to steel eyelet?

Thanks,
JR

Flying,

I have an Initiator that has a good dozen or so flights with the RMS motor. I always give the shock cord a couple pulls when I pack the chute. No problems so far. With the cooling mesh I think the standard cord will last a long time.
I have a Wart-Hog too, but haven't flown it yet.
Larry

My warthog also has about a dozen flights with SU and RMS motors. It's in the same shape as the day I first installed it. I'd say there's no problem with doing it stock.

Originally posted by flying_silverad
I am getting ready to install the motor mount into the body tube but I don't really know if the shock cord is durable enough to leave stock.
Anybody have any experience with the life span of a stock Aerotec shock cord that's just tied to steel eyelet?

Thanks,
JR

I just finished mine, but haven't flown it yet. I do recommend not tying it as they suggest. Instead, make a loop in the end and tie that with an overhand knot. Push the loop through the eye, then pull the rest of the cord through the loop. That makes two wraps on the eye instead of one, and when the cord is pulled, it tightens on itself, rather than pinching itself, which would wear it faster at that point. Plus, tying with loops let you loosen and replace them before they break, or just let you loosen and move them to a new spot that's not been stretched as much. I know, it's hard to loosen a loop way down in the tube, but the other stuff holds.

BTW, I put my strakes on upside down -- the flat part against the body, making two "rails" instead of a solid bar above each fin. Looks much more hard core. Probably far less likely to come off too.

Latest posts

Back