Warped fiberglass

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chilly

Reaction score
I cratered my Vaughn Bros Javelin last month and would really like to fix it. The nose cone is ok, and the motor mount & fins look good except for one that got slightly warped.
It would be a shame to lose this for a warped fin, because it looks easy enough to rebuild cheaply. Anyone know how to un-bend fiberglass?

How bad is the warp, got any pictures? Are the fins painted or top coated with something? You might have to remove the paint and see if there are any cracks causing the warp.

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

I have some pics but they're on film. I'm gonna have it developed on a photo disk and post soon.

The rocket was painted with two light coats of primer and three topcoats of Krylon red & white. The warp is a slight twist along the length of the fin. I'd say the tip is maybe 1/4" off center from the root. Anyway, the paint's not cracked.

If the fin's not cracked, is it even possible to un-warp fiberglass? For that matter, would doing so weaken the fiberglass?

Back