Warp-9 at the range with a 38, killed Mr. ThreeFins&Nosecone.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
UROC finally got a launch in after two cancelled launches. The weather was perfect! The day was very busy with BYU and USU students doing their cert flights along with others.

I was excited to use my Mac Performance 3FNC rocket. I was using a AeroTech Warp-9 that I had won at Hellfire. But alas the curse of the Warp-9 got me too. It blew itself apart thus killing poor little 3FNC in the process.

All ready to go! Painted, and with Stickershock23 decals.

Blew the motor mount retainer off...

Aft closure and motor retainer

Nice little dent in the ring. Not able to salvage the aft closure...

The case was blown into the nosecone and lodged in it. Lucky! my shock cord took alot of the impact and my chute survived intact!

Even with this little mishap, I had a great time at the range.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcUHLW84mAtNHmoTwOu5PrA Some other launch videos from UROC Spring Launch... I thing there were 40+ cert flights with all of the students and others. Was a busy day at the range.

Attachments

• 3FNC pad.JPG
    3FNC pad.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 137
  • 38 case.JPG
    38 case.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 137
  • aft closure and retainer.JPG
    aft closure and retainer.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 126
  • dented.JPG
    dented.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 137
  • MMT.JPG
    MMT.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 133
  • Warp-9.JPG
    Warp-9.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 146
  • image.png
    image.png
    48.4 KB · Views: 140
Man that sucks. Sorry for your loss. I have one of those motors sitting around, not sure I want to fly it now.

I must be lucky to have gotten two of those off the ground at hellfire last year. It was a shame it went up. BTW awesome video of the cato at the launch.

5C014FD7-7537-40C4-A278-5680A153F410.jpeg Buwhahahaha WARP9... I imploded a university multistage rocket at UROC in 2017 at M1.5 on a 38/480 booster. It was only 168 G’s in a third of a second. That Textron/BAE orbital Pegasus fincan fuel don’t F*** around. We told every SEDS team do not use WARP on lightweight MD multistage rockets. A I class motor equaling a K motor in thrust. Oh man you bring back fun memories.

Man that sucks. Sorry for your loss. I have one of those motors sitting around, not sure I want to fly it now.
I had a I1299N sitting around for a year and I tossed it into the trash... It simply breaks lightweight rockets.

I've flown a few of these without issue. They've been around long enough and don't have a reputation for going boom that I'm aware of.

From the date on the instructions it looks like an old load. I had 2 old loads that were missing the thin grain spacer o-ring that goes between the fiber washer and propellant on the bottom end. Was the grain o-ring included? Also, what igniter did you use?

I would contact the dealer for a warranty replacement, and so that AT can diagnose the cause, assuming it is not user error. Also fill out a MESS report.

I've flown a few of these without issue. They've been around long enough and don't have a reputation for going boom that I'm aware of.

From the date on the instructions it looks like an old load. I had 2 old loads that were missing the thin grain spacer o-ring that goes between the fiber washer and propellant on the bottom end. Was the grain o-ring included? Also, what igniter did you use?

I would contact the dealer for a warranty replacement, and so that AT can diagnose the cause, assuming it is not user error. Also fill out a MESS report.
Yes, please. https://motorcato.org/

I've used the H999 and J1999 (before it was changed due to recall) a few times. I must have had good luck with them. Only issue I've ever had was on a 4in rocket where I set the mach delay incorrectly and it tried to deploy the drogue at about 100 ft on the way up. Recovered that one using a trash bag. I think I still have both a H999 and J1299 that I need to use.

Warp 9 is my absolute favorite reload of all of them. An H999 can just go CRACK!!!! and your rocket just keeps going and going and going in silence. Which reload was it?
Steve

Back