Warning about using Duracell PROCELL Batteries

Discussion in 'Rocketry Electronics and Software' started by GaryT, Sep 13, 2019 at 2:13 AM.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Sep 13, 2019 at 2:13 AM #1

GaryT

GaryT

GaryT

Warning about using Duracell PROCELL batteries in your altimeter:

I came across a post on FB where people were saying their drogue, main or both weren't firing while using the Duracell PROCELL battery. I had the same trouble while running redundant RRC2 Mini's and using J-TEK E-matches. So I ran 10 tests with E-Matches, what I determined was although the battery was new and at 9.4v it wasn't delivering a strong enough current FAST enough to ignite the E-Match. The RRC2 gives power to the match for a full second but these batteries just can't keep up, once I ran the output diagnostic test on the RRC2 and HELD the Enter button down the E-Match ignited proving it took longer than 1 second to deliver enough power to ignite the match. Once I swapped out the battery with a new Panasonic Alkaline Power Plus battery I ran the manual test again 3 times, however this time when I hit the Enter button in diagnostic mode I hit it as fast as I possibly could and each time the E-Match went off instantaneously! Originally I thought the Duracell PROCELL were supposed to be a quality battery? but after further investigation I was told that these were actually generic Duracell batteries. No these test are not definitive but there enough to make me swap out all my Duracell PROCELL batters.

Disclaimer: This wasn't a very scientific test, I by no means am telling anyone what to use, use what you will. These were my findings and is only an informational post.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019 at 2:35 AM
    OverTheTop likes this.
  2. Sep 13, 2019 at 2:22 AM #2

Steve Shannon

Steve Shannon

Steve Shannon

Did you happen to measure the current during that time? Anything over half an amp should quickly ignite almost any ematch.

3. Sep 13, 2019 at 2:23 AM #3

mikec

mikec

mikec

Where did you buy these? I wonder if you got fakes.

4. Sep 13, 2019 at 2:24 AM #4

GaryT

GaryT

GaryT

No Steve like I said not very scientific just real world testing.

5. Sep 13, 2019 at 2:27 AM #5

GaryT

GaryT

GaryT

Mike, got mine off Ebay but if I got fakes so did the other guys stating the same problems.

6. Sep 13, 2019 at 2:39 AM #6

mikec

mikec

mikec

I'd be really surprised if a genuine duracell couldn't fire an ematch. I could easily imagine eBay would be full of counterfeit stuff like this.

0011001100 likes this.
  7. Sep 13, 2019 at 2:54 AM #7

rharshberger

rharshberger

rharshberger

iirc only the original Duracell "Copper Tops" are recommended for deployment duties, though I have used the Energizer Advanced Lithium for deployment power as well (they have a built in PTC that limits current to 5A iirc). Aren't the ProCell's a bulk commercial cheapie?

8. Sep 13, 2019 at 2:56 AM #8

UhClem

UhClem

UhClem

I found data sheets and the Procell has an internal impedance of 3 Ohms while the Coppertop is 1.7.

Steve Shannon likes this.
  9. Sep 13, 2019 at 3:05 AM #9

GaryT

GaryT

GaryT

Never ever had a problem with the Coppertop even down to 8v. Looks like I'll use these for the smoke detector lol, just ordered a box of 12 of the Coppertop's those only go in the Av-Bay.

10. Sep 13, 2019 at 3:42 AM #10

cerving

cerving

cerving

Owner, Eggtimer Rocketry TRF Sponsor TRF Supporter

IMHO, 9V batteries are for smoke detectors, get 2S LiPo's. They'll pay for themselves after a couple of charge cycles/launches. For the same size, they weigh a lot less, and will source a ton more current, and they are MUCH less prone to issues with G forces and vibration. Some altimeters don't like the high-current capability of LiPo's due to small FET's, however... if you have one like that, you can throw a 1 ohm 10W resistor in series with the battery.

11. Sep 13, 2019 at 2:47 PM #11

mikec

mikec

mikec

Lipos certainly have some advantages, but I still like 9Vs for applications where the mass and volume don't matter, for the following reasons:

1) easy to buy replacements practically anywhere;

2) no need to charge;

3) no risk of fire if damaged, improperly charged, etc.

4) inherently current-limited which is necessary for some altimeter MOSFET circuits.

Thanks to Gary for doing these Procell experiments. I looked at the datasheets and am still unconvinced that a legitimate Procell would behave this way; I may do some experiments of my own (though it's never occurred to me to use Procells before now.)

12. Sep 13, 2019 at 2:55 PM #12

Bat-mite

Bat-mite

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD

Geeze, the guy comes back to rocketry after years and immediately starts telling people what to do! :D

13. Sep 13, 2019 at 3:14 PM #13

GaryT

GaryT

GaryT

LOLOLOLOL...

14. Sep 13, 2019 at 3:15 PM #14

GaryT

GaryT

GaryT

Agree 110%